S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gawd I hope this isn't serious. Coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I assumed it was the hose based off of reading the forums but it was the pump because she is purring like a kitten now with no leaks.

She was a trade in from a regular customer they have. The car is a 3 owner car all from the Sacramento area. When I pulled up the car fax it shows that all three owners had it worked on at either the Jaguar dealer or the same independent shop. I will be visiting the independent next week just to introduce myself since he knows the history of the car.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Good deal!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Thats great news and a HUGE cost savings!! Also nice to hear the dealer stood up on this and made it right!

Enjoy your new toy, just remember to go easy on that pedal or the car can really start to cost you alot of money for "maintenance" with CHiPs!!

Cheers!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They told me when I purchased the the customer is first and their satisfaction is paramount. I guess they meant it.
Say what?! Why can't more dealerships be like this?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Well, I spoke too soon. I got the low coolant light again last night. Got home and the reservoir was definitely low. There was a faint smell of coolant. No coolant on the ground though.

I filled it this morning and will see what happens the next couple of days. I know on previous cars the fluid level drops when the engine is running. Could it be that they just didn't put enough back in it when the repair was complete?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Head gasket?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diamondrmp
She was a trade in from a regular customer they have.
Mine was a trade in too. I actually thought that a trade in was supposed to be better quality than auction. But, I noticed power steering fluid level was below Min on mine this w/e (I haven't checked it when was buying it), and some fluid remainings on that 'pan' under the engine. I'm probably changing my opinion about trade-ins if it goes below Min again after I topped steering fluid today

Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 AM

Head gasket is my next thought. I'm assuming the mechanic did a pressure check AFTER installing the new water pump. Per the dealer there was a leak from the water pump that the mechanic saw. I asked the dealer what if the pump is not the problem and he said then we will make sure we fix whatever it is to get the car right!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by catstyle
Mine was a trade in too. I actually thought that a trade in was supposed to be better quality than auction. But, I noticed power steering fluid level was below Min on mine this w/e (I haven't checked it when was buying it), and some fluid remainings on that 'pan' under the engine. I'm probably changing my opinion about trade-ins if it goes below Min again after I topped steering fluid today
This is the first used car I've bought from a dealer. The used cars I've bought in the past were bought private party and I never had issue. The new cars from a dealer and this used car bought from a dealer have all had issues! lol Go figure!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

Maybe just didn't quite bleed fully (which is common). Keep an eye on it but don't panic yet.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, I spoke too soon. I got the low coolant light again last night. Got home and the reservoir was definitely low. There was a faint smell of coolant. No coolant on the ground though.

I filled it this morning and will see what happens the next couple of days. I know on previous cars the fluid level drops when the engine is running. Could it be that they just didn't put enough back in it when the repair was complete?
It usually takes 2 or 3 top off's to get the level right in these pressurized systems. In the am before you start the car, top it off to the full mark. Fill it no more than 3 times, that should be plenty of burp time.

Also, my fluid level does NOT drop when I drive. It pretty much stays the same all the time.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Agreed. Check your coolant level in the reservoir before start-up on three or four successive mornings. Top up coolant as needed....

Also be aware of the weak plastics in the coolant reservoir. The hose nozzle is infamous for developing hairline cracks and slow-leaking until you stare at it wrong and it decides to snap off and squirt coolant throughout your engine bay....

Jaguar parts departments cannot keep these coolant reservoirs on the shelves due to constant customer demand. Unfortunately, they were never redesigned or made more robust....

Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,365 Likes on 1,863 Posts

True about the top tanks but the replacements seem to hold up better. These plastic tanks are a problem on many brands of cars. We have enough age on our cars that it's almost a guarantee that you will need to change it out.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM

Actually the reservoir was changed in December of 2011. When I visited the Jag dealer they were the ones that did it. Thats a good thing of buying a locally owned car.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please keep us informed as i am going thru same trail bought my first Jag 3weeks ago and it has been coolant issues from day one. At first bleed screw was leaking its sorted but after filling coolant almost every morning still get warning light. Drove 200Km yesterday warning was on and off esp after high rpm in low gears but once in 5th gear it was ok. Please dont let it be headgasket, in my old car when headgasket failed i was losing power and mayonaisse look on oil dipstick. Shouldnt i be seeing these signs or white cloud smoke from exhaust ???

Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM

A bleed screw? Where is that maybe that is the problem?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Vee
Please keep us informed as i am going thru same trail bought my first Jag 3weeks ago and it has been coolant issues from day one... Please don't let it be head gasket, in my old car when head gasket failed i was losing power and mayonaisse look on oil dipstick. Shouldn't i be seeing these signs or white cloud smoke from exhaust ???
Did you read my Volvo thread I posted the link to? Our car would not overheat as long as it had coolant in it. Never mixed coolant with oil or anything like that.

Some people call the drain **** on the bottom of the radiator a bleed screw.

Head gasket leaks are caused, they don't just happen. The car had to have overheated at one point or someone pulled the head and didn't install it right/perfect when they did. Usually there is a leak somewhere. The thing is, all the heat under the hood can dry up small top end leaks pretty fast so you'll have to look hard.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

Our cars vary by model but most (or all) have a bleed screw (or two) that is near or at the top of the coolant circuits. Not to be confused with the port at the bottom of the radiator. One's for bleeding air out, the other is to empty the coolant out...

Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bleed screw? Where is that maybe that is the problem?
Maybe i am calling it wrong name as i usually do.... But its that black plastic screw or cap on the top right to let out air when bleedin(well at least thats what i think it is for anyway)

Car was okay since that was fixed,few "low coolant" warnings over the days as i have covered about 1000km but no overheating since.

Attached Thumbnails Gawd I hope this isn't serious. Coolant issue-tank.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Here's where I am. Last night after getting home I used a marker to mark the level on the reservoir. This morning I went out and the level rose considerably.

Yesterday I went to have the tires rotated and Its been raining a lot here so I am not sure about this. Yesterday while on the lift I inspected the underside for coolant. It was wet but wasn't sure if it was coolant. The techs and I lowered the car and started looking around in and around the radiator I noticed wet near the upper hose and it looks like its coming from the brackets on the radiator? I couldn't tell if it was rain water or coolant.

Here is something else I realized last night. The coolant only goes low to a certain level. This is the reason I marked it last night. I dont think it has been any lower but the mark will confirm this AND it is just below where the wet was on the radiator bracket. I'm not actually sure if it is a bracket.

Here are 2 pics the first one is the mark on the tank where the level always seems to go. I filled it this morning. The other is where I saw a lot of wet.

Attached Thumbnails Gawd I hope this isn't serious. Coolant issue-coolant-res-medium-.jpg   Gawd I hope this isn't serious. Coolant issue-bracket-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Diamondrmp; 12-02-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Gawd I hope this isn't serious. Coolant issue