S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox fault 2005 S type V6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 310 Posts

Well, then, you made your point. And obviously comments from my side are not welcomed. I tried...

PS: An '05 S-Type is indeed a "precious" car. You probably don't even now that the bonnet is made out of aluminium (just one idea). I actually do not believe that ONLY changing the ATF will make a difference (if you do not have a leak and the ATF is low). But you will see...

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 12-22-2022 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

i've been using this AUSY (Total) Brand in the ZF for years with no probs . it 's what Ford NZ use in all the ZF6HP26 falcons and territory's . and its cost effective .
and my local ZF guy uses it in all his ZF6 re-build's.
TOTAL

FLUIDMATIC LV MV

type in jaguar in the search and scroll down to desired model . .

https://totaloilnz.co.nz/lube-guide/

Last edited by Datsports; 12-22-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

What's the exact name of the "total oil brand" ATF you use in 6hp26?

Old 12-22-2022, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

I just edited it in to my post you can look up there spec sheet in the link

Old 12-22-2022, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Andy,
I looked into Total FLUIDMATIC LV MV
I take it you are open to constructive feedback?
Well, it is clearly better then Dexron III, with Dexron III's viscosity being clearly of a too high viscosity for 6 speed auto transmissions. Dexron II is more for 5 gear Auto Transmissions. Some parts in the 6 speed transmission are turning faster than in a5 speed transmission, and require therefore an ATF with lower viscosity.

This Fluidmatic is more of a Dexron VI, i.e. better for the 6hp26, but I would still not use it in MY ZF 6hp26 transmission. My choice.
Fluidmatic has a KV100 of 6.225, hence clearly better than the (for 6hp26) unsuitable Dexron III (KV100=7.5), but still a far cry from the KV100=5.6 of Lifeguard 6.
https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemed...s-20190219.pdf

Also, Total is not very open regarding which kind of approximate chemical composition (CAS number) of the biggest base oil component, thus, this is already not good.
Further: There is a very long list of very different cars, this Fluidmatic is (according to Total) "suitable for". This is already very suspicious to me for starters, see:
https://totalenergies.com.au/system/..._202111_en.pdf

But there is no way that one and the same ATF is suitable for "• ZF 6 Speed AT (6HP) / 8 Speed AT (8HP) / 9 Speed AT (9HP)". This is exactly WHY there are 3 different ATFs: "Lifeguard 6, 8 and 9" (totally different animals!).
This is where Total's credibility has died, as far as I am concerned..
Lifeguard 6 is made to suit Shell spec m1375.4. This spec defines EXACTLY KV100=5.6. Thus, Total claiming that their KV100=6.225 is in line with that Shell spec and equivalent to Lifeguard 6 is incorrect.

So, make an educated choice, that is all I can say...

Old 12-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bazzarius
Hello everyone. Newbie here with my first post. Regrettably it is about a problem.

I'm based in Australia, Queensland.

My 2005 S type V6 has developed an annoying habit of automatic failure every now and again. The warning "Gearbox Fault" comes up on the dash and the car goes into limp mode. A few minutes after a rest, it starts right up and off we go again.

I have heard that this is quite common with these Jags and that it is more than likely due to a faulty module in the gearshift. Is this correct?

And who was the bright spark who designed an automatic which a) can't be checked for fluid (easily) and can't be replenished (easily)?

I've owned many Jags including XK motors (yes, the head studs running through the water jacket (same bloke?) but always have rebuilt them myself.

So, before taking the car to the nearest Jaguar service department and opening the wallet, is there a simple(r) fix?

Thanks for any help.
Yes I have the same problem I'm curious now after reading some other posts if changing the transmission control module would help because I heard that I can buy them used for about $80 however repair shops are going to want $1,000 to fix that part. I'm also curious about whether or not I can figure out how to change out the fluid in the gearbox myself and if it is damaged or faulty how much of a repair that's going to cost?

Old 12-23-2022, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bazzarius
Hi Benny,
No updates as such except that after a bunch of research, I have taken courage in both hands and am going to change the tranny oil and replace the filter/pan (plastic). There are some really good videos on YouTube of guys changing the pan out. Apart from the pesky filler plug on the side of the box next to the chassis rail (excellent design chaps...not) it all looks fairly straightforward. I have purchased a pressure pump with the correct hooked adapter to get the fluid into the box again so it's a Christmas break job I think. I have noticed that when the dreaded "gear jump" happens, stop, turn off and turn on again and the car drives fine again. So, I think my problem could be related to fluid which I am assuming has never been changed as the legend says "sealed for life". What they should say is "sealed for the life of the guarantee". I bought a shift module too but have not fitted it until I see what the fluid change brings. The videos all report problem solved so fingers crossed.
Yes fingers crossed that it is not the transmission or the torque converter clutch or that I need a new gearbox. I imagine that I probably need to change some fluids as well. Also I've noticed that the things seems to be getting low on coolant about once a week. But that's a whole nother topic I guess.
So I guess the fluid in the gearbox needs to be changed out for fresh fluid seeing as how I have 150,000 miles and I'm sure that it's never been done this car.
DI you know how much a repair or swap for a new or new used gearbox would be? I'm still confused as to whether the gearbox entirely separate from the transmission and I could change that out independently from the trans. Also curious if it's something that I could do by myself with good tools. Also I still haven't seen if the battery is too low although I have a feeling that that is not what this is stimming from.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

@ BennyJag 512: Ups, I learned something triggered by your question, coz I thought gearbox and transmission is the same, but no:

"You’re probably aware that the gearbox is placed at the back of the transmission, which is a series of gears that sends engine power to the wheels and allows a car to move. The gearbox is the transmission’s sidekick, while the transmission is the intermediary."

So you are kind of asking, who deep you have to dig in the transmission to find all the nice parts, which are part of the actual gearbox... - well, have a look in those video clips of Michael in Vienna, whom I got to know because of his clips:
He has got heaps more videos about that 6hp26 transmission. You will find them. That is enough to teach me NOT to mess with the transmission and not to play the transmission puzzle.

You may want to heed my advise reg. ATF above.

Obviously, which have a leakage problem with ATF. Can you describe, where the leak is?

And what is your problem, which you call "the same problem"?

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 12-23-2022 at 08:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BennyJag512 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-24-2022, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I thought gearbox and transmission is the same, but no...
Peter, come back! Don't go down that rabbit trail!

You've got to consider the context here. Even if gearbox and transmission are separate sections within that expensive cone-shaped thingie behind the engine, it's not especially relevant. The all-important context? It all goes back to a "Gearbox Fault" message. Best I understand it, "Gearbox" is a British term for the that entire expensive cone-shaped thingie behind the engine. Here in the Colonies (can I even use that word these days?) we call that entire thingie a transmission, but who am I to criticize the British for messing up their own language?

It's kinda like when I leave some heavy footwear in the trunk of my car, and forget to lace them closed. Don't know why I need to do that, but occasionally I get a warning message for Boot Open. I have to stop, open the trunk, lace up my boots, and then close the trunk. If the sensor is working properly, the message usually goes away.

The following 3 users liked this post by kr98664:
joycesjag (12-24-2022), NBCat (12-24-2022), Scotlad (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Benny we are getting WAY off in the weeds here!!
Let's come back to reality a bit?

First we need to get your car hooked up to an SDD system. You still have not posted what codes your car is producing?
This is the beginning of any repair. Now changing and checking fluid level is fine too and most likely you do need a fluid change.

We are all in the dark until you can get the car scanned.
Before changing fluid I would at least check the fluid level because that will certainly cause problems.

Post back with more info if you can too.

The following 4 users liked this post by clubairth1:
BennyJag512 (01-08-2023), kr98664 (12-24-2022), NBCat (12-24-2022), S-Type Owner (12-25-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 11:31 AM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Karl, love the story about the Boot Open. My problem is how to change the dash message, Door is a Jar.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Scotlad
My problem is how to change the dash message, Door is a Jar.
Yeah, what a useless message. A door is a door. Everybody knows that, sheesh...

Had a different car with big letters on the driver's sunvisor: ATTENTION AIRBAG followed by some important warnings about the supplemental restraint system. Sure, I might be a bit long-winded, verbose, and prone to using more words than necessary when expressing myself, but I found that salutation to be rather insulting.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:07 PM
Received 169 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
who am I to criticize the British for messing up their own language?

It's kinda like when I leave some heavy footwear in the trunk of my car, and forget to lace them closed. Don't know why I need to do that, but occasionally I get a warning message for Boot Open. I have to stop, open the trunk, lace up my boots, and then close the trunk. If the sensor is working properly, the message usually goes away.
🤣🤣 As an English guy it took me a while to understand this 🤦‍♂️. Very nicely put!👍

Old 12-24-2022, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Had a different car with big letters on the driver's sunvisor: ATTENTION AIRBAG followed by some important warnings about the supplemental restraint system. Sure, I might be a bit long-winded, verbose, and prone to using more words than necessary when expressing myself, but I found that salutation to be rather insulting.
🤣🤣 ROFL.
In the UK, they warn you about what type of school you are approaching. In big letters on the road is written ‘SLOW SCHOOL’. Presumably, this is to warn you that nearby students may not be as smart as your average kid and therefore will not understand proper road crossing etiquette.

NBCat (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

So, Benny, skip back about a dozen messages: Where is your ATF leak? What are the symptoms? Are you aware that filling the ATF to the proper level means jacking up the car level, loosening in filler plug, starting engine, remove the loose filler plug (but don't loose it... - ...just to pay homage to all the word games above...) and pump in ATF by the filler plug, until ATF comes running out? Well, I would never refill a transmission with old ATF, but let's just assume your ATF is fairly new and the correct one.

BennyJag512 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-24-2022, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
So, Benny, skip back about a dozen messages: Where is your ATF leak? What are the symptoms? Are you aware that filling the ATF to the proper level means jacking up the car level, loosening in filler plug, starting engine, remove the loose filler plug (but don't loose it... - ...just to pay homage to all the word games above...) and pump in ATF by the filler plug, until ATF comes running out? Well, I would never refill a transmission with old ATF, but let's just assume your ATF is fairly new and the correct one.
He said he had a coolant leak, not gearbox oil. It’s a separate issue I think.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, yes, Sportston. That sudden topic change from ATF too coolant leak above had indeed escaped me.
So, I still have a coolant leak S-Type myself, after all I did. I also have to investigate mine further.
And the question to Benny then is: ¿What exactly if your transmission problem?

Old 12-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 645 Likes on 505 Posts

To gain a bit of focus here, re BennyJag:

1. He has an X202, with the 3.0 engine and automatic transmission.
2. The car has done 150K miles without a transmission service.
3. He is having issues with said transmission.
4. No basic diagnostics have been done.
5. He should have started a new thread as this one is now something of a confusing mess.
6. He has contacted a member by PM seeking advice and was referred back to the open forum.
7. We have no idea as to his mechanical skill set.

So, to recap some of the recommendations to BennyJag:
1. Start a fresh thread clearly stating the issues and history of the S-type
2. Check the battery for pre-start voltage (the proper starting point on pretty much any diagnosis).
3. Via SDD, or a Jaguar capable code reader (e.g. an iCarsoft unit) pull, but don't erase any codes encountered and report same in the new thread.
4. Don't attempt a transmission service until you are really sure that you know what you are doing.
5. Bring any diagnostic results, DTCs for example, back in here in their original form so we can help.
6. Listen to and be sure you understand any advice given here; don't jump the gun.

We would love to help, but proper information is needed in order to give proper advice...

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Type Owner:
kr98664 (12-25-2022), NBCat (12-26-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
To gain a bit of focus here…
Yeah, good on you. Some unnamed chuckleheads were cracking cheap jokes. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Merry Christmas!

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
S-Type Owner (12-25-2022), Scotlad (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I was already trying to get back to the topic. I do have an idea what the issue may be, but really, I need to know first, what the issue is.
Benny has a 3L S-Type 2006, i.e. it is either a X204 or a X206. (My twin-sisters are both X204).

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 12-26-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Gearbox fault 2005 S type V6 3.0