S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Gearbox Fault" Problem.. Need help badly!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Gearbox Fault" Problem.. Need help badly!!

Sorry for this being such a long feed but I want to explain in detail to get any help I can get whatsoever. Thanks ahead of time for looking:

I just recently bought an 02 Jaguar S-type 3.0 with an automatic transmission. It had the "gearbox fault" light on and the check engine light was also on. When you put the car in reverse it seems to go alright, when you put the car in drive it seems like the transmission is slipping or stuck in a high gear. Up until about 10mph the car accelerates very very slow but after that point the pick up is a little better but car does not seem to have any of the power it is supose to have. Almost seems like the car is telling itself to not rev any higher than about 4000rpm's. After having it checked out I was told I needed a new transmission. So I replaced the transmission out of a parts car that I found for real cheap. When we originally scanned for codes in the car it came up with about 15 - 20 codes that seemed just about all transmission related. After replacing the transmission, reseting codes, and re-scanning. All the same codes are still appearing. I read some people were complaining about the ECM's and TCM's getting moisture in them in a few of the jaguar models so I checked that for curiousity sake and found no moisture but still swapped from the parts car since it was an easy flop, that did nothing. Then I read about throttle body issues and tried to swap that even though it did not make much sense to me but i had the parts car there and it was another quick swap, obviously made no difference.

I got the car for just about nothing in great exterior shape and a somewhat healthy sounding engine, pretty much knowing I had to replace a transmission, atleast I thought, and found a car with a good transmission and half way descent engine but mangled in a car accident for $500.00 as a parts car(Salvage title). So now I have both cars and I'm pretty sure that I can piece together the two if I can figure out what this problem is but I am stuck and neither my mechanic or I can figure out what the problem.

If needed I can post all the codes if it will help. If anyone has any helpful ideas or has heard of a samilar problem, PLEASE HELP ME. I hate to see such a beautiful car go to waste and I have two of everything mechanically and plenty of time on my hands so I would greatfully appreciate any assistance whatsoever.

Now that we have gotten into the car a little more we noticed a little putter in the engine that doesn't seem bad at all but not really worried about fixing that until we can figure out the transmission problem. If anyone thinks this can have something to do with the transmission acting up let me know and we will address that now but otherwise I prefer to figure out this problem before addressing anything else.

Any help at all is greatfully appreciated.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

First off welcome to the forum.

Secondly you should follow forum rules for "newbies" which includes an introduction in the new members area. This will get you upgraded to full membership. Being a full member you will be able to view pictures (and post pictures), and will give you access to many ther documnets.

Third,please put car details in signature, year, model, engine (this will aid in future posts).

Fourth, post codes!!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome. Do as Rick says and you're on the way to "knowledge".

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

+1. And yes engine codes commonly cause trans codes. Stop throwing money and parts and start diagnosing the real cause(s).

Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Sorry new to all this forum stuff. First off, hi everyone. Second, How do I add a signature as you said. Third, we have been trying our best to diagnose the problem but either of us are Jaguar experts and we are having a very tough time. Believe me I would like nothing more than to be able to just diagnose the problem and fix it but that hasn't been working for us so that's why were just trying to switch parts, believe me I don't want to. I would love it if you all could help because I have been searching for days and it's either I don't know what I'm looking for or their hasn't really been much help searching threw these forums, if any of you know a link to a previous thread that can help me by all means please send me the link. Well sorry for typing so much but I'll get back to the subject at hand.

The codes that came up are:
P0443
P0743
P0755
P0760
P0797
P1380
P1385
P1451
P1587
P1747
P1789

Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Should I repost a new thread the proper way to get further assistance or do you think I will get the help I need with this one. Like I said completely new to this so not sure of proper procedures.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 6,337 Likes on 5,522 Posts

Just stick with this thread.
I see that you have posted in the new members section, thanks for that.
You will not be able to see a lot of the forum info until you have 10 posts.

The following users liked this post:
01s-type1984 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, that's a lot of codes! I don't recall anyone with so many

Make sure you grab the codes PDF for your kind of car (from JTIS or the FAQs) - you have the original kind not the redesign 2003+. The PDF lists the known/possible causes for each code and you're looking for any pattern. Trans codes tend to be from engoine codes (provided there are any of those).

The battery is often a source of trouble - any chance it's failing? Or badly connected (power and/or ground)?

I'll start looking at those codes but it'll take time so anyone else please do the same!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks to both of you for the help. I really do appreciate the help that you two can give me and anyone else that sees this post. I don't have much money but I have plenty of time to fix this problem and the cheapest Jaguar speficic dealer that I could get out here to check it out wants $100+/hr just to diagnose the problem and he will not tell me how long it will tell him and will not set a cap on the price so in other words he can tell me he diagnosed it for 5 hrs and charge me $500 and I still might not know what's wrong and by reading alot of these posts i see that the dealership does not always do the right thing. I hear of alot of people that the dealer had them switch transmissions, tcm's, ecm's, had them pay for reflashing and the car still didnt work thousands of dollars later. I am not trying to be one of these statistics. So needless to say again I greatfully thank you for all the help you can give.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 6,337 Likes on 5,522 Posts

Remember that for every tale of woe knocking dealers there are many, many more satisfied customers.
If I was you first step would be to get your post count over ten, so when someone posts up an idea contained in an attachment you will be able to see it.

Have you checked the battery?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

As jagv8 implied, too many codes to simply define a trans. issue. Again, check all grounds to body, connections, etc., and state of battery. A battery with a dead cell can still start the car but not adequately run the electronics. The trans. may have sticking solenoids, etc. You drew codes, so now check the battery. If replacing it (they usually don't last past four years), touch the negative lead to the positive terminal (while positive terminal is still connected to the battery's positive post). This will hard re-set the ECU, etc. Then let's go from there.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Ok. I will definitely do all the above. Sounds crazy that a battery can do so much but it makes alot of sense now looking threw the car specific codes i found in the technical section of FAQ's. I have alot of low voltage causes. Im starting to think it can just be a faulty ground, a shorted wire somewhere, or just the battery being low. The battery is starting the car but doesn't seem to have 100% power. Im going to replace the battery in the morning and start looking for ground faults or shorts now.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM

Sorry guys I really hope you all don't mind me cheating. This post is for no reason I just want to get to 10 posts just so I can see links. I been searching things for a few hours and would like all privlidges. Thanks

Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  19.3 KB

Its all good, although I have upgraded you manually anyway

enjoy the site

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

You're a good man allowing the post Jim. Woah! That's not your daughter pictured Jim? Regardless, she's very lovely.

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Woah! That's not your daughter pictured Jim? Regardless, she's very lovely.
Lol.....she is rather "lovely" bfsgross but not my daughter

Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

She's not your daughter Jim? Phew! Am I relieved we got that out of the way. Please, someone, tell her she spins my torque converter...growl.... Good day mate.

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-02-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same gear box fault. My car was working fine and all at once I get a DCS fault a gear box fault and traction control fault. I parked it and overnight it reset itself. Darn electronics. I believe it had to do with the battery because I read it in this forum and I charged it overnight. next day it worked fine except I had a problem with it running rough at idle. I found it was a vacume hose leaking at the small hose that connects the carb to the crank case vent. See my post about it "Things gone wrong all at the same time".

Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Small point: there's no carb

Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 PM

Ok. So I worked on this thing all day today with still no resolution. I put a new battery and made sure it was fully charged, i checked every ground in the car to make sure all had good contact, checked for any wires that were damaged or stripped, removed all aftermarket wiring that the old owner put in to make sure nothing was interferring with the system, and checked just about every system in the car with no luck. I am starting to think their is something wrong with the PCM but I do not want to go spend the money reflashing it if its not going to repair my problem. I am very aggrevated and stuck with no idea of what to do. I spoke to one tranny guy that told me it might be as simple as reseting the system to get the car out of limp mode but I guess their is a specific way to clear all the codes that I do not know about. I tried someones advice earlier in this feed (to touch the negative lead to the positive point of the battery) but this did not work either. Any ideas at all guys??

Quick Reply: "Gearbox Fault" Problem.. Need help badly!!