S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEM (General Electronic Module) location

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Received 31 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GEM (General Electronic Module) location

Hi all, I've been into battle against a cursid battery drain issue with the 1999 3.0 V6 auto for a while now.
After doing a battery drain test, I've located a heavy draw from the 'Primary Junction Box' (the fuse box in the drivers footwheel (RHD)). It's Fuse number 20. The handbook infos me that this is the General Electronic Module.
Does anyone know where this is located? I'm not sure if it is different to or the same as the Rear Electronic Module. To be honest, I've found next to nothing on the 'net about the General Electronic Module, so could really use some help. I'm hoping it's just an earthing issue, but can't find it to check!

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 04-03-2017, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Not the same. See JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Its likely to be something triggering it, not the actual module.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Ignition Key barrel might be a good place to look....

Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

You need to get the JTIS. Jaguar shop manual. Has all the modules and where they are located. It's free on this forum look at the top of the threads.

Your getting in pretty deep so I would do some more reading before doing ANYTHING to the GEM.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 31 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all. Jaguar shop manual duly downloaded.

So far I have replaced the ignition barrel. It's been going on so long I'm having trouble remembering, but the obvious stuff like changing the battery and checking the earth was done more than once. I tried unplugging the radio (since replugged in) and leaving the car unlocked without the alarm. These didn't work. Boot and interior lights all delluminate as they should. Automatic headlights are never used.

Having now performed the drain test, it's the GEM fuse that's got an excessive drain. It heats four of the relays in the boot until the fuse in pulled. Then all is well. Though I was on the something there, but you're changing my mind on that one. Any pointers guys?

Old 04-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I experienced battery drain on the 03 due to a faulty Multi Function Switch (direction indicator lever) First noticed the problem with it set to "Auto" headlight (duly noted you don't use "Auto") and the lights would occasionally flash while parked and no one anywhere near the key FOB. I subsequently determined battery drain would proceed whether it was in "Auto" or not. No problems since renewing the MFS. I'd advise narrowing it down to that before changing, even though it is an easy replacement, it's a fairly expensive part!

FWIW, the way I deduced that the MFS was faulty was having the headlights go dark randomly at night, returning to service after a bit of fiddling with the MFS. This, on several occasions, combined with the lights on in "Auto" when they ought not have been, convinced me that it was failing and needed to be replaced, whether the cause of battery drain or not. After renewal, I ran the checks set forth in the battery drain post in the stickies and everything came into spec.

Last edited by aholbro1; 04-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.