S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting to the Moonroof Drain Hose Nozzles.... Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

No. I did not want to take any more of the interior apart than I had to in order to get to the one hose that was clogged. The other three hoses are draining normally. If and when they clog up, I'll go after them....

Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

Running the dog dryer all day yesterday completely dried my right rear floorboard carpet as well as the pad underneath it. We had rain overnight, so I let the car sit out in the driveway all night to test the drains. All interior surfaces are completely dry this morning. Looks like I can chalk this issue up as "fixed" now....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-31-2014)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 6,304 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Thanks for the update Jon, I've edited the title.
I noticed one of my drains flapping around in the wheel well when I was home, I hope it's still there next time!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moonroof leak/drain... another option?

Originally Posted by Jon89
Update:

Running the dog dryer all day yesterday completely dried my right rear floorboard carpet as well as the pad underneath it. We had rain overnight, so I let the car sit out in the driveway all night to test the drains. All interior surfaces are completely dry this morning. Looks like I can chalk this issue up as "fixed" now....

Jon - thanks for your details on your repair of this problem. I have one question however.... would it be possible to blow out the lines from the bottom (drain) end? Just trying to avoid labor - and more importantly - the possibility of breaking plastic parts.

Charlie in PNW
2004 XJR..... with a wet headliner.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

If you attempt to blow the drain lines out from the bottom end vs. the top end, I'm betting that the air pressure will blow the top end of the drain hose off of its nipple fitting and you'll wind up having to go into the headliner anyway in order to reattach the hose. I think you'll be much better off just biting the bullet and pulling down the headliner, locating the drain hoses, and blowing them out from the top....

Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

It's been cold, raining, and foggy here for a couple of days now. While out running errands in my S-Type this morning, I noticed the rear windows fogging up similar to how they did in August 2012 when I eventually traced the problem to a clogged right rear drain in the moonroof....

One big difference this time, though - the rear carpets are still bone dry. No evidence of water leaks in the cabin anywhere that I've checked thus far. Maybe it's just the current weather fogging up my rear windows but knowing how problematic these moonroof drains can be once they clog up, I'm going to keep checking for symptoms. I have a feeling I may have to blow out the other rear drain just for good measure....

Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Maybe it's just the current weather fogging up my rear windows but knowing how problematic these moonroof drains can be once they clog up, I'm going to keep checking for symptoms. I have a feeling I may have to blow out the other rear drain just for good measure....
I'm following your thread, so please keep us posted. Are you certain the fog was on the inside of the rear windows? If so, is it possible your HVAC system is not working properly to exhaust humidity out of the cabin?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

No problems found as of yet. HVAC seems to be working properly. I'm continuing to check as time permits. Since it was such a wet and foggy day when the problem occurred, I may just need to give my interior windows a thorough cleaning with an ammonia-based cleanser. It's been months since I've cleaned them with anything other than a damp sponge and an old diaper to polish them off....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-01-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Still no moisture found inside the cabin anywhere. All interior glass cleaned and sparkling this morning with an aerosol can of industrial-strength glass cleaner I've had for years and only break out when the interior glass needs a good scrubbing. I know that automotive interior plastics can continue to outgas for many years, so perhaps that is my current issue. As I mentioned previously, I hadn't cleaned the interior glass in this car with anything other than plain water for at least six months. Let's hope that the heavy-duty glass cleaner resolves it. With more rain coming this weekend, I should find out rather quickly....

Old 01-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Still a bit of interior glass fogging while driving, but not nearly as much as before I gave all interior glass a thorough cleaning. No moisture anywhere in the cabin that I could find. All four moonroof drains appear to be open and draining properly. The HVAC system appears to be operating normally. If it happens to be low on R134a, could that be causing the interior glass fogging while the car is in operation with the HVAC system set to "auto" mode where it has always stayed? I had the factory compressor replaced in May 2010 shortly after it failed and the HVAC system has always functioned normally since then, but perhaps it is now low on R134a and just needs a recharge....

Those of you who are automotive HVAC experts, please chime in here with your suggestions for finding the root cause of this mysterious interior glass tendency to fog up now. Thanks for your assistance....

Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Hard to say without hooking gauges up.

I have seen something like this and it was just the weather conditions. You get the right cool temperatures with very high humidity and it's hard to knock the water out because the air is pretty cool already and you are most likely calling for heat. So the system can't reduce the humidity like it can on a hot summer day.

Jon89 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I've also surmised that perhaps the cool-to-cold, moist weather conditions may be contributing to the issue. We're expecting temps in the mid-teens and lower tomorrow and Thursday with a very dry atmosphere so it will be interesting to see if those conditions prove favorable to keeping the interior glass clear....

Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts
Default water issue in the passenger rear footwell

My 2005 STR seems to have the same problem(s) as Jon89 did have.

I will report back my findings on "Getting to the Moonroof Drain Hose Nozzles" and hopefully it resolves my water issue in the passenger rear footwell too.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed, keep us posted. The moonroof drains tend to clog as the years go by, especially in vehicles that sit outside a lot while parked underneath an overhead tree canopy. You don't realize how much gunk gets washed into those drains whenever it rains or you decide to wash your car....

By the way, my interior glass fogging up in December/January was caused by a pinhole leak in one of the two aluminum A/C lines that run underneath the oil filter on the 3.0 cars. The A/C line had dropped down to where it was resting directly on the steering rack and the subsequent road vibration gradually wore a pinhole leak in the line and allowed all of the R134a refrigerant to escape. I didn't discover this until A/C season arrived in March/April. Had to replace that entire A/C line (about four feet long), and I wrapped the contact area of the new A/C line (the section running directly over the steering rack) with a 4-inch long piece of rubber fuel hose. If the new A/C line drops down again, that rubber hose piece will sit on the steering rack and keep the aluminum A/C line from making contact with it. This is a definite design flaw for the S-Types with the 3.0 engine. All of you with 3.0 engines should check your A/C line directly above the steering rack and add a piece of rubber fuel hose there to keep from suffering this rather pricey-to-fix issue....

Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 AM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320racer
My 2005 STR seems to have the same problem(s) as Jon89 did have.

I will report back my findings on "Getting to the Moonroof Drain Hose Nozzles" and hopefully it resolves my water issue in the passenger rear footwell too.
Sorry for the delay in reporting back…

Both FRONT drain hoses were clear but the REAR hoses were clogged which caused water to gather in the sunroof tray and spill over, run down behind the rear doors and pool in both rear foot wells.

I gained access to the hoses by removing the gray carpet sections in the trunk, cut the lines and then used compressed air to blow out the lines in each direction. Some dirt but mostly small pine needles caused the clogging of my drain hoses. *** If your lines are not totally clogged you may not need to cut the hoses in the trunk; mine were totally clogged and would not clear.***

I also lowered the head liner and sunroof tray (one side at a time) to make sure all dirt and needles were completely removed from the sun roof tray. I again used compressed air multiple times to blowout the lines into the trunk. I then used extra hose to reconnect/splice the hoses that I had cut in the trunk. Last, I performed many leak tests by pouring water into the sunroof tray to make sure all the water drained out the hoses without obstruction. Now all water immediately drains out all 4 drain hoses and onto the ground behind the front and rear wheels.

I highly suggest testing all drain hoses multiple times before reassembling everything or you may end up getting extremely frustrated. This process actually took me a few hours over several days since the pine needles were difficult to completely remove from the tray and both rear hoses.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Congrats on getting it fixed.

While mine had some dirt in the tray the blockage was point was a bit different. So here's another potential spot to cause problems.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...method-144062/

1320racer (01-01-2016)