S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting new Rotors? Pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors Warping??

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been struggling with my front rotors for quite some time now. I have put on drilled and slotted rotors from a company out of CA and they warped within 5000 miles. I then went to the EBC slotted rotors, same thing; they were black spotting and warped within 5000 mile? I finally just put the original Brembo rotors back on to see if I have better luck with them. I have used the EBC "Red Stuff" pads with all of the rotors. I am wondering if there is a problem with the pads? I do not believe that my calipers are sticking? The pads wear very evenly and when I have the car off of the ground, the rotors spin freely. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did note that when I put the original Brembo rotors back on, I had to depress both pistons to get the caliper on... it appeared that the Brembo rotors were much wider than the EBC rotors which were practically new with less than 5k on them. Thoughts?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by cmccort
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been struggling with my front rotors for quite some time now. I have put on drilled and slotted rotors from a company out of CA and they warped within 5000 miles. I then went to the EBC slotted rotors, same thing; they were black spotting and warped within 5000 mile? I finally just put the original Brembo rotors back on to see if I have better luck with them. I have used the EBC "Red Stuff" pads with all of the rotors. I am wondering if there is a problem with the pads? I do not believe that my calipers are sticking? The pads wear very evenly and when I have the car off of the ground, the rotors spin freely. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did note that when I put the original Brembo rotors back on, I had to depress both pistons to get the caliper on... it appeared that the Brembo rotors were much wider than the EBC rotors which were practically new with less than 5k on them. Thoughts?
Welcome to the forum. You may want to head over to the new members section to introduce yourself and don't forget to add details of your car to your signature.

I'm guessing that you have an earlier S-type R with Brembo brakes. Your experience with aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors is not rare, no real surprise there. What problems are you having with the re-installed OEM rotors?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Default Rotors Warping

My apologies. I have a 2005 STR. So far I have not had any issues with the OEM rotors, however I have only had them on there for a week. Any idea why the drilled and slotted rotors warp so qiukly? Thank you for your reply, it sounds like I am not the only one with this experience?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The drilled and slotted fad is primarily a 'show' and not a 'go' thing that the aftermarket bling crowd has embraced with a passion. Many suppliers simply take a standard off the shelf rotor and go at it with drills and machining tools. The stories of warping and cracking are not unique to Jaaaaaags at all, pretty much any car where they're offered.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I only bought them as you say "for the show". I wish I had not spent the $600 on the EBC name! I will give the stock Brembo rotors a couple of months to see how they perform.

Regards

Old 06-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've ran the standard, non slotted EBC's on other cars and intend on trying them on the S with a set of EBC reds. I understand ATE rotors and pads have a good reputation too. I've also used the standard Brembos offered through Tirerack ($60) on my Solara with EBC reds and they have held up well. The only thing I don't like about the standard Brembo slugs is that the hub rusts fairly quick. I guess a coat of high temp silver would remedy that though.