Sponsored by:

Getting some work done at the local Jaguar dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
DBR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting some work done at the local Jaguar dealership

Just want to know how ripped off I got. 2005 S-Type 3.0 40,000 miles

They are replacing an IMT seal, air filter, reflashing the transmission and engine. Total price: $989 + tax.

They also stated that I need an oil pan gasket replacement, which would be an extra $550 dollars (they said that it didn't need to be replaced immediately) but that seems kind of pricey.

I absolutely love my S-type and I bought it when the car prices were in the drain, so it doesn't hurt too bad that I'm putting a little money into it, right now for the same year and around the same mileage, they are going for about 6k more. Crossing my fingers that nothing else goes wrong! lol

Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

DBR,

Wouldn't the re-flash be covered under the J004 recall? Air filter replacement should run you about $15-40 dollars depending on where you get it. ken@britishparts.com seems to have the best prices on filters that I've seen. Not sure about the IMT. I take it your car is not under warranty since I would have guessed the IMT and re-flash would have been covered.

Mike

Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM
DBR

Originally Posted by carelm
DBR,

Wouldn't the re-flash be covered under the J004 recall? Air filter replacement should run you about $15-40 dollars depending on where you get it. ken@britishparts.com seems to have the best prices on filters that I've seen. Not sure about the IMT. I take it your car is not under warranty since I would have guessed the IMT and re-flash would have been covered.

Mike
Hey Mike, thanks for your response. They didn't break down the pricing for me over the phone, I will take a look at that when I go there after work. I know the air filter is cheap, and with you mentioning the J004 recall, I guess that means that the IMT would be the main part of the price. You are correct, the car is no longer under warranty, I believe that ran out right before I purchased it. I will break down the prices as soon as I get the paperwork tonight. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

have you thoought about finding maybe a local shop to do the work??? i know some of them see jaguar and the prices climb immediately, but i cant see why a competent technician couldnt do the oil pan gasket without too much of a problem. i dont think you have a sub frame assembly that would have to come down first...........i would think between 2-3 hundred with a fresh oil change wouldnt be too much, but 550 sounds a little high. Maybe the techs here know something we dont though. I do know that some of the techs here dont necessarily get all the money themselves, and the labor rate at my local jag dealer is 120 an hour.......i highly doubt anyone there is making 20-30 an hour anyway....but im pretty good with working on cars, so i do the easy stuff on my own.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
DBR

Originally Posted by phd12volt
have you thoought about finding maybe a local shop to do the work??? i know some of them see jaguar and the prices climb immediately, but i cant see why a competent technician couldnt do the oil pan gasket without too much of a problem. i dont think you have a sub frame assembly that would have to come down first...........i would think between 2-3 hundred with a fresh oil change wouldnt be too much, but 550 sounds a little high. Maybe the techs here know something we dont though. I do know that some of the techs here dont necessarily get all the money themselves, and the labor rate at my local jag dealer is 120 an hour.......i highly doubt anyone there is making 20-30 an hour anyway....but im pretty good with working on cars, so i do the easy stuff on my own.
I will be checking around for the oil pan gasket fix, I thought the 550 was a bit high also. I read another post on the forum about a month ago about a shop that specializes in Jaguars, I wrote down the the address and the name and cannot find the post or the address. I'm in South Florida, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop that works on luxury cars. I don't want to pay more than I have to, but I don't want to pay less and get shoddy work done to it. There are two more Jag dealerships within 40 miles from me, I'll give them a call, and a few other shops and see what I come up with. I'll also post that on here as well.

Thanks for the responses guys, I love this site, a ton of information, and a ton of people that know there stuff! Keep up the great work!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Speaking of IMT O-Rings I replaced my own. That job in gaskets was like $125.00 included the 2- IMT rings and the upper intake gaskets (both dealer only). I also replaced the plugs while I was in there. That job took me about an hour and a half.

Oil pan gaskets are a common replacement as well on these 3.0 L. I did my own replacement. $27.00 gasket at the zone (I opt'd for dealer pan gasket $65.00). Don't forget the price of 7 qts. oil and a new filter. Took me about 5 hours but I could have done it 4 hours. I did it in my garage on my back. BTW I did NOT lower the sub frame. I chose to raise the engine instead. If your old pan gasket is black it is the original, new dealer gaskets are brown in color.

I have threads on replacing both (do a search).

Last edited by joycesjag; 10-09-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM
DBR

I didn't have time last night to give the breakdown of my bill (will do that tonight). I will say that the car is driving better than when I bought it though. It is driving great and the service I received from the dealership was A++. I have brought past cars to other places and you just sit there and sit there waiting for phone calls, updates, etc. Palm Beach Jaguar was great on calling me, asking me what I wanted done, had prices ready, told me when it would be ready (which is about the time they said it would be ready), and the people there were very professional. I'm sure it was a little pricey compared to independent shops, but knowing they did a great job under the car, and the A++ customer service almost makes paying a little more worth it.