Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Price on EBay STR!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,922 Posts
Default Good Price on EBay STR!!

Boy somebody got a screaming deal on this car!! 2003 STR with 54K miles went for $7700. Of course it's a salvage title but the guy was honest and even had a crashed picture before repairs!
Take a look:

http://tinyurl.com/25jhsoj

Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My son once got a similar screaming deal on a rebuilt salvage title Volvo 240. The car looked beautiful, but, proved impossible to sell to anybody else, and, a dealer wouldn't touch the thing with a 10 foot pole. Finally, another driver hit the thing one day and totalled it again. His insurance company severely derated the value from book on the Volvo, but, at least, my son got out from under it.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,549 Likes on 3,958 Posts

That's a fantastic price. A car to buy if you planned anyway to keep it a long time. Especially good if you're a DIYer as you could check the repair and at that price budget to re-do any problem found. (Like, did they get the SC water pump etc working?)

The damage is where the loom tends to break down but is that good or bad? LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

That's why I passed on that one even though it was close to where I live. It also might be kind of rough inside. Probably a smokers car. I saw a couple of those. Plus there was another one which sounded even better recently.

http://tinyurl.com/2f6xl4c

But when I tried to arrange for a PPI and then checked into his Ebay history it just began to smell funny. He claimed all the service work in the past had been performed by the local Jag dealer. The dealer said the car had been there just once in 5 years. I even offered him more money than he eventually got for the car.

Some deals you just have to walk away from. Trust your instincts.

There are still some good cars out there but you have to look for them and keep track when they don't sell and go off of the various advertising venues.

I wouldn't necessaily be scared about reported accident damage if you can find out about the incident and have a good PPI performed.

But that's not so easy. The Jag dealer tha did mine "somehow" missed that one of my front lamps is drooping. Oh and I asked the selling dealer as well as the Jag dealer directly about this. They both lied or they were blind. Wanna guess which is the case? Fortunately I have the select edition warranty which should cover it.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
My son once got a similar screaming deal on a rebuilt salvage title Volvo 240. The car looked beautiful, but, proved impossible to sell to anybody else, and, a dealer wouldn't touch the thing with a 10 foot pole. Finally, another driver hit the thing one day and totalled it again. His insurance company severely derated the value from book on the Volvo, but, at least, my son got out from under it.

Regards:
Oldengineer