S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Gearbox Fault light now !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Well unless it throws a code for a transmission solenoid how does he know that's the problem? The ZF is not known for solenoid problems but it does happen.

What are the codes now? Has the 741 code remained or not? Still could be the TQ?

How many miles were on your box before the rebuild? We just recently learned from another vendor that the valve bodies do wear and sometimes require replacement.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Well unless it throws a code for a transmission solenoid how does he know that's the problem? The ZF is not known for solenoid problems but it does happen.

What are the codes now? Has the 741 code remained or not? Still could be the TQ?

How many miles were on your box before the rebuild? We just recently learned from another vendor that the valve bodies do wear and sometimes require replacement.

Hi tbird6, the P0741 code is consistent.I had it cleared and it came back on within 5 minutes. I didnt even drive 2 miles before it came back on. The car had approximately 85k miles on it before the rebuild. I don't know why they're replacing the solenoid, which is what has me worried. I asked them about it and they said they'll replace it and go from there. The car only has 8.5k miles on it since the rebuild. Shouldn't the valves been replaced during the rebuild? Forgive me if that's a stupid question, I 'm not very mechanical...yet. I'm thinking they're going to try and clear the code hoping the warranty will expire before the warning light comes back on. Then they can charge me for the repair...I checked into TQ's and they're around 1.8k for a new one. So I'm thinking he's trying not to replace it if he can have me pay for it. I don't know what makes him think I'll take my car back to him if the tranny does fail again...I'm not a fool..

Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

No. The shift solenoids are only replaced when they are bad. Same with the valve body.

I think you need to focus on the TQ. That is what the repeatable code is pointing to. You did the right thing by clearing the code. It came right back so you have a hard failure. Fix this first it won't go away.

Maybe push some more for a replacement TQ? Do you have a written estimate when you agreed to get the transmission rebuilt? It should have a list of what they will be doing to the transmission. I have never seen a rebuild not include at the very least a rebuilt TQ.

Think about it from the shops point of view. Why would they risk a $7K rebuild and not replace it? If they won't go for a replacement maybe compromise and split the cost with them? Not ideal but you have already spent the $7K. You won’t be getting it back!

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (07-03-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

No. The shift solenoids are only replaced when they are bad. Same with the valve body.

I think you need to focus on the TQ. That is what the repeatable code is pointing to. You did the right thing by clearing the code. It came right back so you have a hard failure. Fix this first it won't go away.

Maybe push some more for a replacement TQ? Do you have a written estimate when you agreed to get the transmission rebuilt? It should have a list of what they will be doing to the transmission. I have never seen a rebuild not include at the very least a rebuilt TQ.

Think about it from the shops point of view. Why would they risk a $7K rebuild and not replace it? If they won't go for a replacement maybe compromise and split the cost with them? Not ideal but you have already spent the $7K. You won’t be getting it back!

You have a point, but I just can't see giving them a dime after a 7k rebuild only lasts 8.5k miles!! I will push to have the TQ replaced. Since it is a hard failure, replacing the solenoid shouldn't do anything, correct? The gearbox fault and P0741 codes should come right back like they've been doing. The invoice did include the TQ. I have record of that.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Er... isn't the code pointing to EITHER the TQ OR the solenoid valve? Isn't the solenoid more likely since the TQ was (apparently) replaced? If changing the solenoid works then that should be the end of it, or why not?

bklynchris (07-03-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

To JagV8's point - if the P0741 comes back after the solenoid pack is replaced - then the mechanic will have to replace the TQ - they will know straight away if the P0741 comes back or not...

bklynchris (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Good point! Let him replace the solenoid (I still don't know which solenoid he is replacing??).

Then see what happens but you mentioned that you only have a limited time before the warrenty runs out so don't let the clock run out!

bklynchris (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

I think it's the TCC lock-up one but I'd not want to be definitive.

bklynchris (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Well that's what I was getting at. The most common solenoids will be the shift solenoids so I am hoping he is NOT replacing one of those.

bklynchris (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

The P0741 will be caused by ANYTHING that causes a difference in engine speed and input shaft speed when it thinks the TCC should be applied. That could be the converter itself, the solenoid(s) that control the TC Clutch, or a leak in apply pressure. The latter could even be a failed/split "O" ring on the trans shaft, or in the Mechatronic Valvebody gasket to the case.

I would advise staying on the repair outfit to resolve it before the time is up. So, let them replace the solenoid if they believe it's the culprit. Just don't dilly-dally. If that doesn't correct it, they'll still have time to take another tack.

EDIT: I should add, document everything. Every contact, conversation; and ask that everything they do in attempting to correct the fault be written and explained clearly on any work order or receipt.

Good luck!

Last edited by xjrguy; 07-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
bklynchris (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjrguy
The P0741 will be caused by ANYTHING that causes a difference in engine speed and input shaft speed when it thinks the TCC should be applied. That could be the converter itself, the solenoid(s) that control the TC Clutch, or a leak in apply pressure. The latter could even be a failed/split "O" ring on the trans shaft, or in the Mechatronic Valvebody gasket to the case.

I would advise staying on the repair outfit to resolve it before the time is up. So, let them replace the solenoid if they believe it's the culprit. Just don't dilly-dally. If that doesn't correct it, they'll still have time to take another tack.

EDIT: I should add, document everything. Every contact, conversation; and ask that everything they do in attempting to correct the fault be written and explained clearly on any work order or receipt.

Good luck!

Thanks...I absolutely will do that.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Well that's what I was getting at. The most common solenoids will be the shift solenoids so I am hoping he is NOT replacing one of those.

Hi tbird6, so I'm assuming if he's trying to replace the shift solenoid(s) that's a very bad thing. Let's say for argument sake that he is replacing the shift solenoids, what should he do instead of that? What should I be looking for or cognizant of?

Old 07-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Just an update. You guys were dead on as always. He called me on Tuesday, stated he'd replaced the solenoid and it didn't fix the issue so he's sending the torque converter out to be rebuilt. He stated he had sent it out originally, but obviously something went wrong. I am somewhat uncomfortable with rebuilding the TQ again, but I don't think he'll be willing to replace it at his cost. Oh well, hopefully if they have to do it again, maybe they'll get it right this time. Thanks for the help forum!!!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

That's good news! At this point in time I don't think new TQ's are available and all we have are rebuilt units. This is not bad as you are the first person I know of that had a rebuilt unit fail. But to be far it looks like it was bad as installed so it was not properly rebuilt in the first place.

One more request? The shift solenoids are in the valve body but I am not sure of the exact location of the TQ lockup solenoid. Can you post back a part number or description of which solenoid was replaced?

bklynchris (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

My perception from reading about torque converter failures during the past couple of years is that they only occur in the STR, not in the normally-aspirated 4.2 S-Type or the 3.0 S-Type. Right or wrong?

bklynchris (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Yes and mainly on the 2003-2004 models. This is the first 2005 one I have seen.

Maybe see more late model STR's as the miles pile on?

bklynchris (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Mine failed shortly after I got the car and was replaced under warranty.
I thought there was a faulty batch of convertors at that time.

bklynchris (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
My perception from reading about torque converter failures during the past couple of years is that they only occur in the STR, not in the normally-aspirated 4.2 S-Type or the 3.0 S-Type. Right or wrong?
Nope..... happens to all of 'em. I think it's just that the added torque of the SC aggravates it.

Cheers,

bklynchris (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
That's good news! At this point in time I don't think new TQ's are available and all we have are rebuilt units. This is not bad as you are the first person I know of that had a rebuilt unit fail. But to be far it looks like it was bad as installed so it was not properly rebuilt in the first place.

One more request? The shift solenoids are in the valve body but I am not sure of the exact location of the TQ lockup solenoid. Can you post back a part number or description of which solenoid was replaced?

Absolutely. I should be picking up my car either tomorrow evening....at the latest, Tuesday. I'll post it then. Thx.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default P0741 Gearbox Fault+Laggy Acceleration in Overdrive

ddd

Quick Reply: Got a Gearbox Fault light now !!!