Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012 | 07:30 PM
KBL
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Mikey
I can't think of any similar rear wheel drive car that is half decent in snow without proper snow tires. S-types are no better, no worse.
I guess I should have been more clear. I agree that the STR is no better or worse than any heavy rear wheel out there. I've had a good share of them in my life and every last one of them was a challenge in the snow. Just pointing out that this is a heavy rear wheel and behaves accordingly.

That's all. Didn't mean to dis the STR. Love the STR.

Old 12-27-2012 | 09:04 AM

Fun as hell when on DRY pavement...still turns them easily though..

Old 12-27-2012 | 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by cbharley10
Yeah not sure there were ever any 400 HP snow saloons made... Haven't seen anyone post a 0-60 brag time in the snow!
The -R makes no additional HP of note at low engine speeds as compared to a non-R. It's lack of quality snow tires and a heavy right foot that causes most problems.

Old 12-27-2012 | 09:42 AM

Yeah but only under snowy and icy conditions can you go 0-60 without even moving an inch! LOL!

I love my STR but still all the performance mods an HP bumps count for nothing with ZERO traction...

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by redmerc04
It seems as if the car already has an aftermarket exhaust system on it. The tips have "Romulus" embossed in them.
Hmm, this might be a play on the "Remus" aftermarket brand of motorcycle exhausts.

Old 12-28-2012 | 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Twin exhausts?

Old 12-29-2012 | 11:40 PM
|

Originally Posted by JagV8
Twin exhausts?
Sorry for the delay in my response but each outlet has one four inch tip. I still actually haven't picked the car up because I had to wait for the dealer to get four new tires to install on it and it has been snowing so I elected not to pick it up in the inclement weather. I'll know more on Monday.

Old 12-30-2012 | 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Oh well.

Old 12-30-2012 | 06:19 PM
Default STR Snow Tires

Second Season with (tire rack rim/snow) and I'll never go back to front wheel drive- having a ball driving this rear wheel beast!! Just like i grew up with (except for 400 hp!)

Old 01-01-2013 | 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by heima
Hmm, this might be a play on the "Remus" aftermarket brand of motorcycle exhausts.
That would be correct. Remus does/did make a Romulus exhaust kit for the S-Type R. IIRC it was prohibitively (ridiculously) expensive, considering it was basically mufflers with tips at a cat-back system price. I don't think that they sold too many of those, but i always liked the tips & have been looking around for some that looked like theirs. No luck so far though.

Old 01-14-2013 | 10:42 AM
|

Hi guys,

I am loving my STR and I promise to get some photos on here in the near future. I seem to have a problem. On Saturday, I changed the air filter and I forgot to reconnect the vacuum hose that connects the plastic air intake elbow to the valve cover. I got a "restricted performance" message and a CEL. After reconnecting the hose, the message went away but the light stayed on. I disconnected the battery for about an hour and a half and that did not get rid of it. Will this go away in due course or do I have to get the code cleared?

I also noticed that the belt that turns the supercharger's pulley looks as if it is upside down; its ribs are visable atop the pulley. I am unsure if this is incorrect because it seems to sync up with the ribs of a tensioner pulley below. Is this okay?

Matt

Last edited by redmerc04; 01-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2013 | 11:04 AM

Hi guys,

I am loving my STR and I promise to get some photos on here in the near future. I seem to have a problem. On Saturday, I changed the air filter and I forgot to reconnect the vacuum hose that connects the plastic air intake elbow to the valve cover. I got a "restricted performance" message and a CEL. After reconnecting the hose, the message went away but the light stayed on. I disconnected the battery for about an hour and a half and that did not get rid of it. Will this go away in due course or do I have to get the code cleared?

I also noticed that the belt that turns the supercharger's pulley looks as if it is upside down; its ribs are visable atop the pulley. I am unsure if this is incorrect because it seems to sync up with the ribs of a tensioner pulley below. Is this okay?

Matt
Glad to see and hear that you are enjoying the car! I love my 03 and have had a lot of fun adding mods and trying to squeeze every last ounce of HP I can out of her!

THe CEL light will go away after a few drives once the computer sees that everything is now okay give it a few cycles and you should be good to go!

As for the belt, I believe that is the correct direction if memory serves me correctly, I will check mine later today to validate but you should be G2G!

Cheers!

Old 01-14-2013 | 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Hi guys,

Matt
Go to autozone, discount etc and they can clear the CEL light for you. Just tell them you took care of the issue

You have the revised pulley system that is grooved on both sides of the belt. FYI the only replacement belts are Jaguar belts.

Old 01-14-2013 | 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Odd. Battery off is supposed to clear it. (Also forces relearn of fuel trims etc.)

Could just about be that it's not fixed or there's another fault. (Sorry!)

It should go off by itself after a few (3, I think) warm-ups from cold engine providing the fault really has been fixed.

Old 01-14-2013 | 12:09 PM
|

Thanks for all of the prompt responses guys, I feel better about the light. Hopefully it will go away when I start it this afternoon.

Old 01-14-2013 | 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

I thought to clear codes a hard reset was needed, not just disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I could be wrong though...

Old 01-14-2013 | 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

It takes 10 key on/off cycles to reset the CEL after the fault is cleared/resolved...or clear it with an OBD tool.

Old 01-15-2013 | 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

A "hard" reset is just a way of speeding up what disconnection will achieve if left off for a short while. You can visualise it as the car's modules being a leaking bucket constantly topped up by the battery. Disconnect and wait lets the bucket empty. Hard reset is like tipping the bucket over.