S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the Stuck in Park issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the Stuck in Park issue

Just got done putting insulation on our garage door and wanted to get the car in the garage. Backed the car up so I could pull straight into the garage, put it in drive and it stayed in reverse, (hmmm I remember reading something about this) so pushed the lever back up into park but my reverse light was still on and now the lever was stuck in park and of course now the car is almost at the end of the driveway.

Ok so went over various threads about checking and tightening the two bolts, but my question, as there doesn't seem to be any mention on this, is there any proper way, i.e. make sure the parking brake is on or off, is there any special alignment, or just tighten the two bolts and that's all there is to it?

On a side note, being that this is somewhat of a common issue, wouldn't you think the Dealer would check this doing an oil change/PM ?

TIA
Bill...

Old 08-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Just tighten the bolts on the trans side. They're unrelated to the EPB (and it is unrelated to them).

I wouldn't expect a dealer to check them as it probably isn't even a known issue. It's quite rare. Bear in mind sites such as this are a magnet for problems, not for non-problems, i.e. people come here mostly because they have a problem, so if (say) 2% of users here have this problem then maybe only 0.2% or 0.02% have it overall. If a dealer checked every rare issue they'd have the car for days and have to charge even more.

Last edited by JagV8; 08-02-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Just tighten the bolts on the trans side. They're unrelated to the EPB (and it is unrelated to them).

I wouldn't expect a dealer to check them as it probably isn't even a known issue. It's quite rare. Bear in mind sites such as this are a magnet for problems, not for non-problems, i.e. people come here mostly because they have a problem, so if (say) 2% of users here have this problem then maybe only 0.2% or 0.02% have it overall. If a dealer checked every rare issue they'd have the car for days and have to charge even more.
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm just a little foggy at the moment but I'm sure it will become clear to me once I get the car jacked up... had to search for the jack lift points, which I found :-) Yea I got the ETB off so I can move the car but the only problem it is rolling the wrong way.

And the explanation about the dealer makes perfect sense, never looked at it that way.

Thanks Again

Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 AM

Mission accomplished Straight forward simple fix once I got a look at it. Thank goodness I even found the one bolt that fell out in the driveway.

I laid on the ground and was able to get my hand on the bracket and got it in neutral, so I was able to start it but was unable to put it in drive, at that time I didn't know what I was moving, but at least the engine running made it easier to steer pushing it in the garage.

Had to use the tire jack to raise the car so I could get my floor jack under it, so now I can see investing in a pair of ramps as suggested in other posts will come in handy.

And once again this Forum has saved my butt. Thanks to all who make it possible

I have one question though, would it be a good idea to put the medium strength, blue thread locker on those bolts?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Well done! Funny how often the bolt is found, you're not the first.

Thread lock seems to work OK. A few other members have used it already.