S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great timing (he said sarcastically)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014 | 02:44 PM
|
Default Great timing (he said sarcastically)

Well, been busy and not on here as much lately, but had to share this! So, on Saturday, got the car all packed up ready to head out to Banff for our anniversary (as we do every year). Had spent the week prior getting the STR all cleaned up and ready to go and the car is spotless! Stop to top up the tank before the 1500km drive. Pull up to the pump and just before I get out I say to my wife "Umm, the guy in front of us has his reverse lights on, he isn't going too, -smash-, I guess he is". The guy drove straight back into the front of the car, and he was in a truck. Anyway, got out to take a look. I'm thinking smashed headlights, dented hood, cracked bumper and who knows what with all those cooling components and if its bad, we won't be undertaking our trip. But guess what, the only damage was some scuffs on the bumper and a cracked grill surround. The guy didn't try to talk his way out of it and was pretty good about it. Anyway, just had to share this as most accidents don't end this well with these cars! So, no delay to the trip, in fact, the valets didn't even notice the damage at the hotel. Just gotta take these tings in stride and realize its just a car and plastic and metal can be replaced and fixed. Just chillin with the wife at the Banff Springs hotel and I'll worry about sorting it out when we get back!

Old 05-14-2014 | 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Phew! As I started reading I was dreading the ending but it was nothing like what I was starting to expect. Close call.

Old 05-14-2014 | 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Just chillin with the wife at the Banff Springs hotel and I'll worry about sorting it out when we get back!

I think you are benefiting from the "Banff Effect," that calm sense of peace and assurance that everything is going to be okay. :-) That is definitely a very special place. Enjoy!

But when you get back home, you may want to have the structure and components behind he plastic bumper cover inspected. There are lots of things in there that can be damaged or crushed (by design), and the offending truck driver's insurance should pay for any necessary repairs, but they'll only be willing if you discover the damage sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (05-23-2014)
Old 05-14-2014 | 08:18 PM

we had basically the same accident last year. At a stop sign in my hood turning onto the main road with a guy in front with a pick up, he forgot something at home so he threw it into reverse without looking...bam. my neighbor.

His hitch receiver went through my bumper and broke the grille and some minor stuff behind. It was about $1200,00 IIRC,

Not a big deal but I am worried about the Car Fax crap when I decide to sell.
I don't think Car Fax mentions minor accidents it will just show it was hit.

I took many photos and have the documentation for future buyer. It will scare off many people unless they call me about it.

Good luck getting yours fixed. Enjoy Banff and forget about it for the moment.

Old 05-14-2014 | 10:30 PM
|

It is a great place here, really relaxing. We come here every year for our anniversary and don't plan on changing that in the future!

I did give things as best a look over as I could and other than the slightly cracked grill surround, I really don't think there is anything but I will definitely have a better look once I'm home. Also, considering we drove 1500 km immediately following it without so much as a hiccup, I'm fairly sure all is well and if the return 1500km is still good, I will feel better! I do have all the other drives info as well as the info of one of the gas attendants who watched it happen so I'm not concerned. But just as suggested, I'll deal with this when we get home. No point worrying about it now. Spent the day doing some shopping with the wife and hiked Johnston Canyon. Most amazing beautiful trail I have even done. Again, hard to worry about such minor things in a place like this!

As a side note, in all the years we've stayed at the Banff Springs, I have only seen one other Jag, an X-type. Mercs, BMW, Audi, even Bently's all the time, but only that one Jag. Even the valets comment on the car when we are here. Considering it is now a 11 year old car with 245,000km on it, it still seems to stand out (in a good way!). Really making it hard to not get the '09 XJ Super V8 portfolio I've been wanting.

Old 05-15-2014 | 01:16 AM

Glad there wasn't too much damage to your car. However you didn't mention any damage to the poor truck driver's vehicle !!!! LOL .Enjoy your break.

Old 05-15-2014 | 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that the damage appears to be so minor. I was also expecting a far more serious outcome as I began to read your story. Keep us posted on the outcome once you get home and begin to dig into the details. Hopefully the guy in the truck won't suddenly develop amnesia and attempt to deny responsibility....

I've always admired the views of Banff I've seen on various PBS travel shows. Perhaps we'll manage to get there one day....

Old 05-15-2014 | 11:05 AM
|

As for the truck, there wasn't any damage! Maybe a little scuff on the bottom side of the bumper! I'll keep everyone updated on the repairs when I get back next week.

I would highly recommend a nice vacation in Banff for anyone. Great place to spend some time and I think everyone needs to come here at least once!

Old 05-15-2014 | 12:24 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>Great place to spend some time and I think everyone needs to come here at least once!

Chateau Lake Louise, hmmmmm

Attached Thumbnails Great timing (he said sarcastically)-chateau-lake-louise.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014 | 07:29 PM
|

Well, been a while but quick update. I took everything apart and the cracked grill surround was the only damage. I talked to the guy who hit me and we got it all sorted out without having to go through insurance. I told him what I would need to fix it and he gave me the cash. I'm happy and I'm putting the grille back on tomorrow so all is well. Now I just have to find a replacement headlight washer cover since I just noticed one fell off (nothing to do with the accident). Gotta love how these cars seem to always find something to keep you busy, luckily it's just the small easy stuff in my case.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014 | 07:40 PM

Nice to hear an accident story with a with a happy ending for all involved.