S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guess where i am......

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

That one has almost twice the mileage of the other one I found and it looks like its pick up only in New Jersey....

There are a few out there, but I would definitely go with one of the lower mileage 6 month warrantied blocks and someone who will freight ship... You are going to want that...

What about the long block turns you off? It makes for a more simple and quick install, besides if your block is damaged no chance to save the whole "matching numbers" condition.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cbharley10
That one has almost twice the mileage of the other one I found and it looks like its pick up only in New Jersey....

There are a few out there, but I would definitely go with one of the lower mileage 6 month warrantied blocks and someone who will freight ship... You are going to want that...

What about the long block turns you off? It makes for a more simple and quick install, besides if your block is damaged no chance to save the whole "matching numbers" condition.

The $3500 price tag turns me off, not the long block itself. at $3500, plus miscellaneous as I assemble, it makes this an expensive car.... and I didn't / don't want that.
But if I could pick-up a short block for a grand, then that'd make more sense.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GT42R
Hmm... How did you bounce off the rev limiter? Were you using the J-gate?

I bounced off the limiter once going from 2-3 before I realized about the 'short-shift' condition in 1-2-3. Since then if I'm racing to redline I just leave it in auto, sport on, a/c off, dsc off, foot WOT,

Please take it apart see what you may find, although it sure sounds like you window'd your motor...
no, wasn't using the J-Gate. I've been becoming more aware lately that the "adaptive" trans was adapting to me, and it's been shifting much closer to redline than it used to.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by McJaguar
The $3500 price tag turns me off, not the long block itself. at $3500, plus miscellaneous as I assemble, it makes this an expensive car.... and I didn't / don't want that.
But if I could pick-up a short block for a grand, then that'd make more sense.
Ah... I see said the blind man when he picked up his hammer and saw!

Let me see what I can find for you then... I think there was another option out there had higher miles but was only $1500... Let me see what I can find!

The following users liked this post:
McJaguar (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM

How about this...

Engine Motor Long Block Cylinder Head Jaguar s Type 2003 2004 2005 03 04 05 Cali | eBay

Its a little more complete say EXC. R but I would assume the 4.2L blocks were the same so, if you pull all of the other parts off your existing core you should be good to go! $1299 + Shipping!!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM

dood.... you're INFECTIOUS! (in a good way... not like an infection or something )

I've really been leaning towards parting-it, but your making me think I should just fix it...
I'll be honest though.... I'm getting so damned tired of working on cars....

I tried the "Car-Part" site that Joycesjag referred earlier in this thread, and they have some options as well.
But I'm really not adverse to an 80k mile option either.... these motors should be just fine with that. But I'd need a longer warranty (I emailed them).

cbharley10 (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by McJaguar
dood.... you're INFECTIOUS! (in a good way... not like an infection or something )

I've really been leaning towards parting-it, but your making me think I should just fix it...
I'll be honest though.... I'm getting so damned tired of working on cars....

I tried the "Car-Part" site that Joycesjag referred earlier in this thread, and they have some options as well.
But I'm really not adverse to an 80k mile option either.... these motors should be just fine with that. But I'd need a longer warranty (I emailed them).
I am a bit crazy / infectious too I suppose... I just hate to see a nice STR get parted out over a blown engine. I have already over invested in mine and I just absolutely love the car so I keep patching her up!

I know you havent had yours too long, but you will grow to love yours the same... Afterall I have had mine since new so we are attached at the hip!

I will be moving to SLC here soon so would be more than happy to spend a few weekends helping you patch her up!

The following 2 users liked this post by cbharley10:
McJaguar (03-03-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-11-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

That's the spirit! Now if you can just find a thousand friends to each send you a dollar... or a hundred guys to chip in ten bucks each.

Seriously, got PayPal? Someone should set up a temporary sticky where we could help a brutha out.

Stuart Beattie (07-11-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by cbharley10
How about this...

Engine Motor Long Block Cylinder Head Jaguar s Type 2003 2004 2005 03 04 05 Cali | eBay

Its a little more complete say EXC. R but I would assume the 4.2L blocks were the same so, if you pull all of the other parts off your existing core you should be good to go! $1299 + Shipping!!
I would not expect the short block to be the same. Compression ratio would most certainly be different, and that would be accomplished at least with different pistons, but quite possibly more extensive than even that.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

You'll need a s/c short block, no way getting around this. Go for the 80k mile s/c long block. Mine had 85k miles.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
...one day she'll require a heart transplant. One way or another, we all must go through this.
Why do you say this? ...With proper, diligent maintenance, why shouldn't our kitties hearts last just as long as we can keep 'em young (running) and "fresh" as any other?

That statement sounds so fatalistic, and ... foreboding.

bfsgross (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scrumpot
Why do you say this? ...With proper, diligent maintenance, why shouldn't our kitties hearts last just as long as we can keep 'em young (running) and "fresh" as any other?

That statement sounds so fatalistic, and ... foreboding.
your last "... as any other" is the key to this. Sure; why wouldn't they last as long as any other? they will.
But "any other" will ALSO require a new motor someday (or at least a freshen-up).
Internal Combustion motors are trying to blow themselves up the entire time they're running. This is ESPECIALLY true of relatively-higher-output motors like the STR's, and quite particularly true when you add forced induction of any sort, as is the case for the STR.
Add to this the fact that "most" (not all) STR drivers probably like to mash their foot into it once in awhile, and you're adding stresses to the motor, and again decreasing the expected life.
And of course, there's the component of ownership: many of us picked-up our cars 2nd-hand, and we cannot know with any certainty that it was properly maintained by the PO. Even a strong service-history won't tell you everything about the cars' history and use. Mine may be a great example of that: I've owned it fewer than 5 months, and put less than 1500 miles on it... and now I have a broken motor. (I am a guy who meticulously maintains his cars. But I also drive them hard. Can the way I drive be to blame for my broken motor? in part... but most of the blame will have to lie with a previous owner, and 125k miles on the odo)

The following 2 users liked this post by McJaguar:
bfsgross (03-06-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-11-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I think I'm up to date on your saga- have you found out what exactly went boom yet?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I think I'm up to date on your saga- have you found out what exactly went boom yet?
Thanks for asking. No, not yet. it's resting in the garage.
I'm working 12-hr days right now, and my grandkids are getting a good chunk of my free time. Add to that, it's almost spring here, and the house and yard are in need of attention.

Possibly this weekend, I'll get it in the air and have a look, just to confirm the window in the block. Once I've done that, I'll be able to make more decisions.

One thing is sure: I spent all last spring and early summer building a car in the evenings and on weekends (see my avatar) and I'm not going to do that again this year. so it may sit 'til it starts to get cold again. This is actually playing into my current plan.... Which is to take my time and build something a little "warmer" than original
The motor that Spinall says he has sounds like it would be a good candidate for that, since it has an unknown noise already and would need a tear-down.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

I'm with you scrumpot, but Mcjaguar makes good sense with the majority of STR's. These cars are often put in the hands of maniacs the likes of "me"...driven hard. I too, purchased 2nd hand with 85K on the clock. She was abused, repossed, abused again. Lucky for her, I came along to take care of her. Though there's now 140k on the clock, periodical throgging is necessary to blow out carbon residuals...if you know what I mean?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Ahh the infamous Italian tune up...

bfsgross (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Lol! Ditto mike.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM

well, I finally crawled under the car today. I removed the belly-pans and found verification of my suspicions:

that must be a rod-bolt?

looks like the hole is punched just behind the alternator bracket, on the passenger-side.

Attached Thumbnails guess where i am......-imag0482_zps7f10f78f.jpg   guess where i am......-imag0483_zps09ac87f4.jpg   guess where i am......-imag0481_zpsfb083ff8.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Jeeze- that's terrible news. Really sorry to hear this- I was hoping it was something simple.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Wow! She sure died sumtin fierce. Have you located a decent long block?

Quick Reply: guess where i am......