Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gulp! I'm finally an S-Type owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
The only glitch I've come across so far is the button in the overhead console that operates the interior lights. I turned the lights on....and then couldn't turn them off. After ten minutes of fussing with the button they finally extinguished. The button feels very mushy; no on/off click or detent or spring action; almost like it isn't attached to anything...
Take a look at this long thread. See post #31 for the resolution:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-always-264171

That was on an early model, but maybe the later models have something similar?

Old 02-02-2024, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Great, thanks.

The overhead switch was the culprit in Rober2's situation....but I didn't see any specifics what the repair was.

I'll have a look-see at the switch. My general experience is that they can often be repaired. But...sometimes they're so chintzy there's no hope. We'll see !

Cheers and thanks
DD

Old 02-02-2024, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

The overhead switch was the culprit in Rober2's situation....but I didn't see any specifics what the repair was.
Technically there wasn't a repair, as nothing was broken. The system was operating as designed. The suspect switch is momentary action and does not latch into place, but rather it springs back out when released. One might even think it feels broken, if expecting it to latch. Push it once to select the first mode. Push it again to select the second mode. You can't look at the switch to tell which mode has been selected.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 10:20 AM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Use a Bluetooth interface with a smart phone that has the Torque app installed to monitor live data, and to read any DTCs that may trigger the MIL.

The X202 on are very dependable cars that can give many years of trouble free driving if maintained.

jya (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
Technically there wasn't a repair, as nothing was broken. The system was operating as designed. The suspect switch is momentary action and does not latch into place, but rather it springs back out when released. One might even think it feels broken, if expecting it to latch. Push it once to select the first mode. Push it again to select the second mode. You can't look at the switch to tell which mode has been selected.

I understand.

A bit nervously I gave it another try. As before, one gentle push will turn the lights on. It takes 20 pushes or more to turn the lights off. I tried gentle, I tried hard, I tried pushing different parts of the button, I exited the car, spun around, spit twice, and then uttered an ancient family curse. Finally the lights extinguished. I think it was the spitting that did the trick!

I then tried the map lights. The RH map light will operate easily if you push the rear area of the switch. The LH map light takes multiple pushes to turn on but can be turned off with only a couple pushes.

These are manually operated switches so there must be some sort of mechanical function to close/open electrical contacts to make/break a circuit, right? I sense this isn't occurring. Or maybe a loose connection up there.

If the mood strikes tomorrow I'll open things up and see what I can see. Gotta start somewhere! Apparently lowering the o'head console is a little tricky but I'll hopefully get it done with no damage

Cheers and thanks
DD

Old 02-04-2024, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Got the car up in the air today for a quick look-see.

Overall I am very pleased. It's all very clean, no damage, no drips.

It'll need brakes soon. The (Jurid) pads have are marked "Jaguar"; might they be originals at 38k miles?

All the suspension stuff looks fine. Bushings, ARB end links, etc. All wheels pass the push-pull test. No sign of shocks leaking. However....the boots for the tie rods and two of the ball joints are torn. Perhaps not a huge issue in California where the car lived its life but up here in Oregon...well...we all know what it means.

I was able to put the EPB in 'service mode' easily enough. However, is there a way to leave the transmission in "N" and turn the ignition fully off?

Cheers and thanks
DD

Last edited by Doug; 02-04-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

The only glitch I've come across so far is the button in the overhead console that operates the interior lights. I turned the lights on....and then couldn't turn them off. After ten minutes of fussing with the button they finally extinguished. The button feels very mushy; no on/off click or detent or spring action; almost like it isn't attached to anything.
I solved this problem by replacing the overhead console with a good used one from Ebay.

I have a question, though....

Take a peek at the pic below. What is the circled item? There are two on the overhead consoled. They're capped-off from behind.

Cheers and thanks
DD

Don B (08-05-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 07:50 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

"If the mood strikes tomorrow I'll open things up and see what I can see. Gotta start somewhere! Apparently lowering the o'head console is a little tricky but I'll hopefully get it done with no damage "

those plastics tend to be brittle. that console tends to be sticky and needs a gentle and strong tug to remove. Enough to remove but not too hard to break.

Old 07-14-2024, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rober2
"If the mood strikes tomorrow I'll open things up and see what I can see. Gotta start somewhere! Apparently lowering the o'head console is a little tricky but I'll hopefully get it done with no damage "

those plastics tend to be brittle. that console tends to be sticky and needs a gentle and strong tug to remove. Enough to remove but not too hard to break.
It's a bit gut wrenching; a do or die sort of thing. It takes quite a strong pull straight downward.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-04-2024, 04:20 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Just keep the fluids topped up and changed when they should be and enjoy it. I'd have the brake fluid flushed and changed Dot 4 only, it probably hasn't ever been done. The car is very polite and will tell you when there is a problem. Basically if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Old 08-05-2024, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 582 Likes on 435 Posts

I solved this problem by replacing the overhead console with a good used one from Ebay.

I have a question, though....

Take a peek at the pic below. What is the circled item? There are two on the overhead consoled. They're capped-off from behind.

Cheers and thanks
DD
i am not for sure but if you have dual climate control i think those are the temp sensor inlets for driver and passenger. Probably wrong though

Old 08-05-2024, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 1,900 Posts

That's an Ultra-Sonic sensor for the Adaptive Restraint Technology System. Or the A.R.T.S. system.

First installed in the 2001 XK

The Jaguar XK Series is the only production car in the world to employ ultrasonic occupant sensing technology. Four ultrasonic sensors, located in the A-pillar, B-pillar and the new roof console determine the presence and position of the front-seat passenger's head and upper torso with respect to the passenger airbag deployment door.

Also
The ultrasonic sensors primarily monitor the position of the passenger's head and torso, rather than the arms and hands, as the proximity of the head and torso to the airbag deployment door is the crucial factor in the systems' decision regarding deployment.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
Doug (08-05-2024), kr98664 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 582 Likes on 435 Posts

Thanks club. I knew i was wrong. But a good guess anyway