S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a big "fail" in the STR yesterday...boned bad on this one

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

That's it! I'm finished here. I'm moving out west where there's more cows than cops.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Cows make an interesting hazard at 150 mph.

Highway 50 in Nevada - The Loneliest Road in America.

Reno to Ely, absolutely the most fantastic ride of your life. Just watch dem cows ...

This somewhat silly video will give you an idea of the open road stretches on this route.

YouTube - Nevada at High Speed

This may help too. I haven't driven it since 1992.

U.S. Route 50 in Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did Highway 50 in 1997 on my Harley. It truly lived up to it's name. It's so lonely, I don't think I'd do it again. There's plenty of nowhere in the plains states, with better fuel availability.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Thanks for the help and for not ripping me. What is the point of buying a supercharged car without blasting it. I've had my Z06 over 180 so many times I cant even count, at least 40 or 50 times. I was due to get boned.

I'll accept the risk of death or serious injury, and since this was at 3:30AM i dont see the harm in doing it. Not a single car in sight..except a NJ state trooper sitting in a field on the side of the highway i didnt see!! doh. By the time the valentine went off it was too late, i had already traveled a football field before i could hit the brakes.

Also just as a side note, and not to be a dick, but I'm going to drive license valid or not. I made that decision about 5 minutes after getting arraigned, because I have to for work, or else how i am going to pay off the $100k in loans i have on cars.
Can you get a license in another state instead before this goes to trial? NY would be best, no points for out of state violations. Maybe that way you can keep a valid license, however you will end up on NJ's revoked list either way. You get tagged doing ANYTHING during the suspension period, and you just lost your license for 2 more years and will catch 30 days in county. I dont know if NJ will also suspend the registrations on anything registered in your name when they take your license, I think they do. Since the cars have outstanding loans, you can't just flip the titles and insurance into someone else's name.

It gets worse than that though, if there is any sort of accident, your insurance (or someone elses if you flip the car into another name) will deny any and all coverage because you weren't a licensed driver at the time. I have a friend who went down this road, and turned a 90 day suspension into 5+ years without a license, thousands in fines, a short stint in county etc...

I know you have to work to pay for the cars / house etc, but this stuff can snowball quickly and badly. Best case scenario you lose your license for 30 days. Lay low and watch it. IF you can get an NY license, it will have no points, and you are free to drive in any state besides NJ.

Take care,

George

Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hey fellas, if ya shaven't visited Georges's Mercedes SL500 resto blog spot then yer missing "Something". The producers of those TV do-it yer self car repair-resto shows are compelled to kick off their "Show Clowns" and git George on there. We know George is a "brain", but his easy to follow layout and attention to detail is beyond.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Hey fellas, if ya shaven't visited Georges's Mercedes SL500 resto blog spot then yer missing "Something". The producers of those TV do-it yer self car repair-resto shows are compelled to kick off their "Show Clowns" and git George on there. We know George is a "brain", but his easy to follow layout and attention to detail is beyond.
LOL Thanks man! I'm actually writing an update for it as we speak! I've just been so busy with work, other projects, redoing my house etc that I haven't gotten that caught up.

Take care,

George

Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually just had court today, driving under suspension. Wasn't even aware, apparently I had an unpaid ticket. Got pulled over one night for 32 in a 25 (supposedly, I was in a 35 zone when he came up behind me). He let the "speeding" go, but ticketed me for the suspension. Those here who live in Ohio might know a tiny little crap town called Shelby? I was on my way home from an interview in Akron (ok, slight detour). By the time I went to court today, I paid my ticket and brought proof my license was valid.
So judge gave me a $400 fine, 30 days in jail, and 2 years probation. That is utterly ridiculous! The jail is waived as long as I pay the fine in 90 days. Even worse, all the money I spent driving too and from columbus to akron for my two interviews yielded me nothing, the company won't even return a phone call to acknowledge the position was filled.

I have the worst luck.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by phaelax
I actually just had court today, driving under suspension. Wasn't even aware, apparently I had an unpaid ticket. Got pulled over one night for 32 in a 25 (supposedly, I was in a 35 zone when he came up behind me). He let the "speeding" go, but ticketed me for the suspension. Those here who live in Ohio might know a tiny little crap town called Shelby? I was on my way home from an interview in Akron (ok, slight detour). By the time I went to court today, I paid my ticket and brought proof my license was valid.
So judge gave me a $400 fine, 30 days in jail, and 2 years probation. That is utterly ridiculous! The jail is waived as long as I pay the fine in 90 days. Even worse, all the money I spent driving too and from columbus to akron for my two interviews yielded me nothing, the company won't even return a phone call to acknowledge the position was filled.

I have the worst luck.
Ouch... Yea, I've discovered that from town to town in Ohio things are all over the place.. One place a 20 over the limit ticket is like $100.00 and another it is 4 times that. Little crook towns in Ohio are the only ones I've ever seen hit mainstream media. I forget the name, but I though it was in the Columbus area, where it was just a stretch of road. Car and Driver actually wrote that one up since they have a tendency to travel South out of Michigan into Ohio to test. It eventually got dissolved. Another good one is Boston Heights. They are known locally as the "Boston Stranglers". They set the speed limit on their stretch of Rt8 low and lie in wait... Funny thing is the state redid Rt8 taking out the lights in Boston Heights and added overpasses and ramps. Then the state made it 65 effectively cutting off most of Boston Heights municipal funding... LOL

Sorry to hear about the poor luck with the Akron company. I hope you have better. If you ever need local assistance, look me up.

08Z06: Be real careful... As many know..I grew up in New Jersey went to Arizona for a little then back to NJ only to end up in Ohio. Let me tell you... George is dead on with the risks associated with driving while suspended.. Your only hope it to get the suspension waived, if possible. Because of people negotiating things like that many times offenses carry "minimum mandatory" penalties. The loop hole is if your lawyer can convince the Judge and prosecutor to reduce the charge but keep the fine...That way they get the money they want and you avoid huge points and suspension. It has worked for me in the past. Then again, I've also spent time in lockup for driving on my Arizona lincense... Back then they didn't suspend your registration for license infractions. They do suspend the registration if you fail to insure your car (a new system they put in place just before I left). Actually got falsely popped for that one. Cop ran my plate and found it suspended. I had changed carriers and somehow they only knew about the cancellation not the new..Lucky for me I had papers so the cop let me go with a ticket to appear. I showed the Judge the policy documents that proved I had no gaps in coverage and was dismissed with no fine. Lesson... Don't just let your old coverage lapse and replace it.. Call the old company and let them know you went with someone else...That said, I wish Ohio did something similar... The only check in Ohio is you sign a paper that says "I promise"...Yikes..Uninsured motorists are a major issue out here....

Again, I wish you luck, but take it from someone who at a young age let things snowball... In Jersey, it can get very expensive....

Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I remember reading that article in C&D about that crooked little Ohio town and the crooked sheriff who ran what basically was a scam. I think they got flushed out by a district or states attorney or something like that.

Funny that Ohio has all of these little traps, but doesn't even have a state vehicle inspection - which is a big source of revenue for PA.

Driving on a suspended license is only going to compound the problem. Time to bit the bullet and find alternate transportation. Hard to get to work without a car, even harder to get to work when you are in jail.

Maybe you can get a low powered scooter - i think some of them do not require a drivers license.

Or pay a co worker to pick you up for work.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ohio

In younger days, I went to College in Ohio, guess I was lucky as Hell, cause I never got any tickets or ran into any of the crazy stuff, you guys were talking about. And yes I had drove thru many small towns in a 74 Dodge Charger. So yeah, I was lucky as Hell.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Z06, I'd think you'de be eligible for a conditional license to get to and fro from work. Speak to your attorney regarding this.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

yo chris, i'z know's what ya "trump card" is, and happy ya have it. Go git em bro.
dis-missed.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Awesome Chris! Congrats bro.

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-20-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Z06, I'd think you'de be eligible for a conditional license to get to and fro from work. Speak to your attorney regarding this.
No such thing in the People's Republic of NJ... Pretty much every other state has them.

It's either full license or suspended.

Take care,

George

Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
dis-missed.
At least certain things are still sacred bro!

Take care,

George

Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
No such thing in the People's Republic of NJ... Pretty much every other state has them.

It's either full license or suspended.

Take care,

George
Remind me again why anybody lives in NJ? Between the taxes and gun laws that's enough right there for me to never set foot in that state again.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Remind me again why anybody lives in NJ? Between the taxes and gun laws that's enough right there for me to never set foot in that state again.
One of my friends described it best...

Living in NJ is like living in the womb in the Matrix, except all of the tubes are attached to your wallet. NJ is suburbia for the NYC crowd, who have never seen a gun, and get a house for the price of an apartment, with a yard for their kids to play in, and pretty much the same taxes....

It's not all THAT bad... well yeah it is... But there are some cool people around. You can always come visit lol...

Take care,

George

Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phaelax

I have the worst luck.
You're really lucky compared to what would have happened to you in NJ.

You would have been arrested, and taken to at least the town's lockup. Your car would have been towed / impounded. that's probably $3-400 for the tow / impound fees.

You would have been charged with driving on the revoked list (even if it was due to an FTA on a previous summons). You would have gotten a $520 fine, )+ court costs etc. 30 days suspended probably, and a mandatory 2 year additional license suspension. Having taken care of your tickets and having a valid license at the time of the court appearance would NOT count as an affirmative defense in NJ, at the time you were driving whilst suspended. Game over.

It really sucks, we see this stuff all the time. Btw I had a friend of mine who decided he was going to be really slick. He lost his license for 7 months for a 1st offense DUI. (Over .10 in NJ is a mandatory 7 month suspension). So he is another there's no way I'm not driving type.

He comes up with the brilliant idea to take his brother's birth certificate and marriage license to DMV and get a driver's license in his brothers name (claiming that he was the brother and that he had misplaced his license).

Well, unbenounced to him due to all the identity theft going on, and the fact that NJ used to be the capital of fake (real) id's they now keep the digital pictures on file, and use facial recongition software after the fact. If the previous and new picture don't jive according to the software, it throws a flag and it's investigated. Eventually they figured it out, and he was charged with Driver's license fraud, and Identity theft, and is facing 10 years... This is about 3 weeks after he got the license and was driving around thinking he had beat the system.

Take care,

George

Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
There are some very pretty parts of NJ but close in to NY it's very congested and mostly damn ugly. But then I think NYC is GD ugly too. I wouldn't live there.

CT is the same way. I lived there from age 4 to 18. Very pretty in a lot of the state and ugly in close to NYC with some exceptions.

Property taxes in the NYC metro area are just insane.

There are plenty of very nice areas in NJ where you can drive on back country roads in a rural setting. That's about 50 minutes from NYC under light traffic. Commuting in by car is insane though.

So it's not just NJ it's the entire metro area.

Don't do dumb stuff with a car here. I think it's gotten a lot rougher everywhere in the last 25 years. I suspect that a lot of what I did in my youth is no longer possible due to onerous laws and just plain congestion.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
One of my friends described it best...

Living in NJ is like living in the womb in the Matrix, except all of the tubes are attached to your wallet. NJ is suburbia for the NYC crowd, who have never seen a gun, and get a house for the price of an apartment, with a yard for their kids to play in, and pretty much the same taxes....

It's not all THAT bad... well yeah it is... But there are some cool people around. You can always come visit lol...

Take care,

George
LOL - i think i get it. I'd come visit but of course I'd need to rent a locker at the state line to.... uh.... leave some items behind since PA and NJ do not have any reciprocity in that regard.

I've been to some of the southern parts of the State and thought it was quite nice, but actually living there is another matter. I accidentally tip-toed in last week by straying across the bridge in Philly to Camden. Whoops.

Quick Reply: Had a big "fail" in the STR yesterday...boned bad on this one