S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handset in use

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Handset in use

I'm getting the "Handset in Use" screen. Yesterday the BT worked fine. Now I can't even unpair/re-pair it since the screen used for pairing won't come up. I'm told to "replace the handset so you can continue the call." The nuts of it is that the phone thinks it is paired and...when I tried a handsfree call, it got to the phone directory in my phone and then came up with an error message like "Check Phone."

Huh?

Eric

Last edited by Toller; 01-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM

Bump

Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't know about that one.... Do you have a dealer nearby that you trust / like? I would ask them since it sounds like either a software issue or a bad phone module... Your bluetooth module is probably fine, the reason the phone sees it as being paired..

The system contains three parts... The bluetooth module (links to the phone..Like say a network adapter or modem) The phone module (actually what makes the phone work over the radio) and the head unit (like a remote control for the phone module).

The whole system is like an aux audio device on your sound system. It just detects input and switches modes..

Again, I would contact a dealer that could hook up to it... Another thing to do is see if there is someone else that has a bluetooth phone that would be willing to go through a pairing exercise and see if it is phone related....

Sorry it's not a real solution, but didn't want to see ya hanging out there either...

Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Try disconnecting the bluetooth module under the center console, turning the car on, then off. Reconnect the module, start it up and see if that does it. This has happened to me twice, and both times that fixed it. Worth a try as it's free and might do the job!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 PM

I removed the car as a paired device yesterday. That didn't fix it.

This morning Joan took the car to twon. When she was done shopping, I asked her to hit the phone button. It displayed the keypad and said "No Phone." IOW, acted just as it should.

Does the bluetooth/phone system produce an error code like the automotive systems?

Sign me ... baffled.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Toller
I removed the car as a paired device yesterday. That didn't fix it.

This morning Joan took the car to twon. When she was done shopping, I asked her to hit the phone button. It displayed the keypad and said "No Phone." IOW, acted just as it should.

Does the bluetooth/phone system produce an error code like the automotive systems?

Sign me ... baffled.
Hmm.. Do what WinterJag suggested.. The Bluetooth module should be mounted under the console tray.. It comes out with two torx screws (T20)..

I don't know.. But a Jag Tech or Dealer could probably answer.. I would give your dealer a call????

Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Is it wired into a diagnostic bus (there are 3)?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Maybe someone here knows about the diagnostice bus. I don't. I shall ask next time I'm at the dealer.

As far as removing the module and plugging it back it, would the suggestion assume that it's not working and that this is a fix or is this a general solution aimed at prevention of the problem?

Eric

Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM

I don't know about the diagnostics or codes for the phone system. Oddly enough, when my dealer hooked my car up to their system, according to them it didn't even have a phone installed, or the voice, or the nav. So I usually don't go by what the IDS says, it's not always right. As for discon/recon the BTUM, this is just kinda like a reset. Sometimes these systems just mess up for some unknown reason. Maybe they get confused or scared or shy, but for whatever reason they decide to stop working properly. For example today when I started the car, the touch screen was blank cause it didn't like the cold! Once it started up, the ACM didn't work, then when things warmed up everything worked fine. I find that 99% of the time a reset works, not just a battery disconnect reset, but a remove the module reset. It's not preventative in anyway, nor does what you had happen indicate that the module is bad. These cars have a mind of their own sometimes and need to have things reset! If it's working fine now, I wouldn't do anything. It may work fine for the rest of the cars life, or do the same thing tomorrow. If it does it again, then try discon/recon the module. That has always worked for me, and it's far cheaper than a trip to the dealer, who may not even know what to do!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

IDS was probably correctly reporting what the car's configuration data blocks showed, as I believe you added the various parts but probably didn't change the config data.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Thanks Wint. Since it's working, I'll leave it alone for now but keep your "fix" in mind. Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll ask further.

I wonder your dis-connect/re-connect trick works because you installed the stuff but didn't do some jiggery-pokerey in the software.

Eric

Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM

Actually, the issue wasn't that I added them. My dealer said they told the car that it now had all these things, but as soon as the car restarted it seemed to forget! Eventually they managed to tell the car it had nav, and it remembered that. The tech actually took me out to my car in the shop and showed me what was going on since he was as confused as could be! My car will not be told what to do apparently. As far as I know IDS should be able to tell a car what is there and what isn't.