S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had to have their Jaguar S type gas tank fixed more than 1x under recall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Has anyone had to have their Jaguar S type gas tank fixed more than 1x under recall?

I just went into the Jaguar dealership the other day to have a new key programed and have them look at my huge massive gas leak any time i put more than 1/2 a tank of gas in the car.

The service writer looked up my cars history and told me that the recall had already been done once in 2007 and that the warrenty on jaguar service is 1 year. and that they would not be working on my car.

I was under the assumption that when a car is recalled for a safety item, it has to be fixed no matter what. Now anyone who has worked on cars for any amount of time knows that either 1 my car was not fixed right the first time, or 2 that the fix jaguar does is not enough.

Now I can't fault the service writer, he was just doing his job. He did say he was going to ask the regional Jaguar rep about fixing this. I did point out to them that I have owned my jaguar aprox 1 month and already spent $500 at the dealer. I had a new key cut and programmed, bought a new cabin filter, new cartridge for my cd changer and some other small stuff.

On the other hand, the new XFR looks real mean up close. I would love to have one but like having my paid for $15k jag vs $15k down on a car that will loose $50k in value in a couple of years.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Our S-Type's original fuel tank was replaced under the recall program when the vehicle still belonged to its first owner in Florida. The owner complained of leaks during fill-ups, so the tank was replaced. If the current tank should start leaking, I would certainly contact our local Jaguar dealership and expect another replacement tank on their dime. They may argue with me and refuse, but I would then show up in their General Manager's office and make life a bit unpleasant for him. This is a known issue, a seemingly flawed design, a potentially dangerous situation since it involves leaking gasoline, and I would demand that Jaguar make it right. We all have to pick our battles, and this is one that I would certainly jump on with no hesitation due to the potential danger. I believe that in this case, the law favors the consumer as opposed to the manufacturer....

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

From what I could figure, the problem was the sealing rings (or the way they were fitted). The tank needed replacing only if on seal replacement they (or the tank) were (still or more) damaged. A fix should stay a fix. By 2012 it's hard to see that a second fix would either be needed or free under warranty, but good luck trying to get it fixed that way!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
From what I could figure, the problem was the sealing rings (or the way they were fitted). The tank needed replacing only if on seal replacement they (or the tank) were (still or more) damaged. A fix should stay a fix. By 2012 it's hard to see that a second fix would either be needed or free under warranty, but good luck trying to get it fixed that way!

Stateside they replaced the entire fuel tank... If it's leaking again, the tank has failed again. Almost like the disposeable coolant recovery tanks that fail every 3 yrs or 50k, whichever comes first..

The DIFFERENCE and why jaguar agreed to fix these free, is that a coolant tank would leave you on the side of the road, the gas leak could cause a fire, and is an unacceptable safety hazzard. I would not be surprised if a 2nd tank had started leaking again.

Take care,

George

Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

That original recall was to check the openings for correct size. If there was already a leak we replaced. We used 2 go/no go gauges. If the didnt fit right we replaced the tank. We did more tanks than anything. This was a supplier defect from jags supplier for the tanks, and only certain vin ranges. If a RECALL has been done once its been fixed for "THAT ISSUE" it however does not meen that new updated tanks could not leak from a bad seal, distortion etc. But the recall deffect has been fixed. You have a general failure of what i dont know, im not looking at the tank or smoke testing it. Tanks that are in no way affected under any recall do fail occassional too and either we just install new seals in and fix in most cases, or if its leaking from the top plastic welded evap loss port/cap, this is non servicable and the tank has to be replaced. Or if it were mine vs paying for a new tank assembly i would drop the tank and clean real well and use a crosslinked plastic 2 part epoxy. Did they even determined the leakage point???
You situation is you can try to call crc. But its really no differant than any other part going out on the car after warranty regardless if it was once replaced under warranty or recall. Good luck