S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone replaced a Transmission mount on an S type R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010 | 04:04 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Has anyone replaced a Transmission mount on an S type R?

Hey guys I just wanted to know is it difficult to remove and replace a Transmission Mount on an S type R? If anyone has done this can they share how did it the easiest way? I got my car up on the lift today to check where exactly I had the Tranny fluid leaking from, looks like its the drain plug on the Plastic pan and not the Tranny Sleeve. The Tech said the Tranny Mount needed to be replaced because it was worn out and moving slightly when he went to inspect it.

Thanks in advance to the replies back

Last edited by jag79; 10-15-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2010 | 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

From what I can tell, its straight forward. Raise front of vehicle high enough to get to rear of the transmission (if you are doing this on your back). Using a jack and a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 cut to the width of the tranny pan (special tool ha!), jack to remove weight off the transmission mount, unbolt and replace with new mount. Less than an hour of time. Alldata makes it look easy!

Old 10-15-2010 | 09:29 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
From what I can tell, its straight forward. Raise front of vehicle high enough to get to rear of the transmission (if you are doing this on your back). Using a jack and a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 cut to the width of the tranny pan (special tool ha!), jack to remove weight off the transmission mount, unbolt and replace with new mount. Less than an hour of time. Alldata makes it look easy!
You the man! thank you again for sharing the info. When or if I decide to go get the Tranny pan and fluid swapped out, I'll have the mechanic put in the tranny mount when its on the lift and he can use that special device, I just can't think of the name of it used to hold the tranny in place when removing the mount. Im still debating what I should do since its only my drain plug thats leaking off the plastic pan, nothing else is leaking from the tranny. I was thinking to save cost, just replace the drain plug with a new one, and reuse the same tranny fluid that comes out and top it off with new ZF fluid if its still low. After draining the pan, there should be approx 6qts out to reuse , or do the whole replacement of Sleeve, Plug, Pan,filter and gasket in one go even though I'm at 87k close to the 100k mark which is due.... lolz.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm what to do

Thanks again JoycesJag

Last edited by jag79; 10-15-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2010 | 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Check your local napa see if it can be had and I'll help you get it. Get back to me with the part number and I'll get it to you at my cost plus freight.

Old 10-15-2010 | 11:18 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Check your local napa see if it can be had and I'll help you get it. Get back to me with the part number and I'll get it to you at my cost plus freight.
I found a Tranny mount for $71 free shipping from http://www.discountjparts.com/parts/...4962488%2B1641

Its a Westar brand, says it OE direct replacement fit for my STR and S, but I have my doubts on wether its a good quality or not. I even called up Gaudin jagaur parts they wanted $91 OEM plus shipping charge of $12

...I'll check my local store Napa store for this, but I think so far this is the cheapest I found. Thanks for helping out amigo!

Old 10-16-2010 | 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Jag79, have you inquired about replacing just the drain plug? If you can purchase just the plug, you can probably replace it without worrying about loosing to much fluid. Just be REALLY fast about it. If I remember correctly it was just an o-ring on the plug, maybe you can just purchase that.

As far as your posting about the tranny pan T27 bolts in the "leaking tranny" thread, if your vehicle has been a southern car, you might be surprised and beable to reuse them. I did not have a problem with my bolts at all, as Joyces Jag has never seen salt!

Old 10-16-2010 | 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

With the age and miles on your car I would absolutely change the fluid and the filter/pan. I would even consider changing the sleeve since you are there and that piece is pretty cheap and a known failure. The new sleeve has different color o-rings so it was changed and hopefully improved!!

Old 10-16-2010 | 02:14 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Jag79, have you inquired about replacing just the drain plug? If you can purchase just the plug, you can probably replace it without worrying about loosing to much fluid. Just be REALLY fast about it. If I remember correctly it was just an o-ring on the plug, maybe you can just purchase that.

As far as your posting about the tranny pan T27 bolts in the "leaking tranny" thread, if your vehicle has been a southern car, you might be surprised and beable to reuse them. I did not have a problem with my bolts at all, as Joyces Jag has never seen salt!
...Good question, I did inquire about just getting the new drain plug with a new O ring on it for $8 with shipping included from ZF Distributers. Since my budget is really tight right now, I'm going to wait it out till I reach 100K then do the complete change, sleeve,pan,etc....and fluid. What I'm thinking is doing is following exactly what you said, do the plug change quickly and re-use the same ZF Tranny oil and fill her back up, if needed I'll purchase a 1liter bottle of ZF fluid just in case to top it off.

**One quick question, I downloaded the instructions for doing the tranny fluid change, but when the Jag is cold and jacked up, do I have to have the car started when filling her up after opening up the fill plug with the tranny fluid? or I can start pumping the fluid in while the car is not started till it starts dripping out then stop put a rag to block the fluid coming out and start her up and go through the gears, check the right temp(refer to instruction sheet) then keep filling her up till it drips out again? Second question is, how to minimize getting air trapped in the Tranny? Do you have any recommendations for that?

Thanks again for your help and yes this STR has been totally Souther, Originated from Souther CAli to TX and now over here to me Florida , Did a complete cross country trip to land into my hands lolz.....

Old 10-16-2010 | 02:17 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
With the age and miles on your car I would absolutely change the fluid and the filter/pan. I would even consider changing the sleeve since you are there and that piece is pretty cheap and a known failure. The new sleeve has different color o-rings so it was changed and hopefully improved!!
..I completely agree with you, its just that im financially strapped because I budgeted my money at the moment for a complete exhaust mod, so hopefully if ever knock on wood, I get another tranny leak from any seals, I'll be ready to change out everything

Old 10-17-2010 | 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

It is helpful to have a buddy with you when filling refilling, have him (her) go through the gears. The vehicle can be shut off before filling total. You will get a few qts. in then start and run vehicle to fill to proper level. If you are just changing pan and sleeve you will get somewhere in the area of 7.5 qts back in.

One thing to remember if you tackle this job in ant type of heat, take the temperature of the oil before you start refill. The oil I used was already pretty warm and it took only 3 minutes to reach "full" temperature.