S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you bought from Engine Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Have you bought from Engine Solutions?

Hi,

I've got a reasonable quote for a new engine for my S-Type-R 4.2 Litre V8 Supercharged from these guys.

They're giving a 6 month guarantee with the engine. He has one in stock.

Here is their website:

Jaguar Used & Reconditioned Engines - Engine Solutions Ltd, Colchester, Essex.

I'm interested in any feedback on these lads if at all possible.

They seemed cool on the phone - but I am wary of dropping a couple of grand, and never seeing an engine.

(MODS - if I'm breaching a rule by posting this, please let me know).

Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

They've been mentioned here and on other internet forums.

Haven't read anything bad about them. I know that doesn't exactly count as a glowing testimonial but I'm sure anyone having issues with an engine from them wouldn't exactly keep quiet about it.

Their 'six month guarantee' is given with second hand engines. Be clear about what this means. It will be a unit straight from an accident write-off with no work done on it. They may, or may not have had it running.

This wouldn't particularly worry me and I've taken both engines and transmissions like this before with no problems. If anything goes wrong, the only loss is time to remove / return / refit. Given your location, it's worth being absolutely clear who would be responsible for shipping costs in the event it had to be returned.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Cormac (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
They've been mentioned here and on other internet forums.

Haven't read anything bad about them. I know that doesn't exactly count as a glowing testimonial but I'm sure anyone having issues with an engine from them wouldn't exactly keep quiet about it.

Their 'six month guarantee' is given with second hand engines. Be clear about what this means. It will be a unit straight from an accident write-off with no work done on it. They may, or may not have had it running.

This wouldn't particularly worry me and I've taken both engines and transmissions like this before with no problems. If anything goes wrong, the only loss is time to remove / return / refit. Given your location, it's worth being absolutely clear who would be responsible for shipping costs in the event it had to be returned.

Graham
Thanks Graham.

They look pretty ok, even though the website doesn't have the information required under EU law for distance selling and so on.

My concern is that there was a dodgy dealer with a very similar name that was "featured" on Watchdog - Rogue Traders a while back.

However, a Company Search for "Engine Solutions" shows this:

Engine Solutions Limited is an Other business incorporated in England & Wales on 12th September 2008. Their business activity is recorded as Maintenance And Repair Of Motor Vehicles. We have no director details for Engine Solutions Limited. 2 shareholders own the total shares within the company. It is not part of a group.

The latest Annual Accounts submitted to Companies House for the year up to 31/08/2011 reported 'cash at bank' of £0, 'liabilities' worth £85,857, 'net worth' of £239 and 'assets' worth £81,454. Engine Solutions Limited's risk score was amended on 01/06/2013.
ENGINE SOLUTIONS LIMITED. Free business summary taken from official Companies House information. Free Alerts.

Shareholders: Brian Burton, John Phillips.
No current directors known.

This seems reasonably ok - they're still registered, and they keep their reports reasonably up to date - although the company is not flush.

One concern is that at one point, a Yorkshire entity called "Turner Little Nominees" acted as secretary and director. (The Rogue Trader guy also has a connection to Yorkshire).

Whereas the other crowd are:

Complete Engine Solutions Ltd is an Inactive business incorporated in England & Wales on 5th March 2010. Their business activity is recorded as Maintenance And Repair Of Motor Vehicles. Complete Engine Solutions Ltd is run by 1 current members. 1 shareholders own the total shares within the company. It is not part of a group.

The company has not yet filed accounts. Complete Engine Solutions Ltd's risk score was amended on 27/06/2013.
and from Rogue Traders:

The registered director for the company is Christopher Chilton, but the man who says he is in charge is Christopher Whyatt, alongside his wife Katherine Hardwick.
BBC Watchdog: Rogue Traders: Complete Engine Solutions Ltd - Consumer Forum

So, I wonder if there is some connection via the Nominees...

Am I paranoid to check like this before handing over cash?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Cormac,

There's always going to be a risk dealing with 'vehicle dismantlers'.

Will they accept payment by Credit Card or Paypal? If so, you have protection; if not, paranoia should be on high alert.

Graham

Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Cormac,

There's always going to be a risk dealing with 'vehicle dismantlers'.

Will they accept payment by Credit Card or Paypal? If so, you have protection; if not, paranoia should be on high alert.

Graham
Quite right.

I'm long in the tooth about payment scams - so I'll be ok on that front, I hope. I'll not pay anything unless I've got some cover.

I reckon these guys are pretty straight and reasonably reliable - and I don't think they're associated with the crowd on Rogue Traders. But, it pays to be safe not sorry.

I'll keep you posted.

C.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 AM

So it seems like they're not the bad guys.

The engine is from an S-Type-R that was rear ended, supposedly. So there should be no damage to it.

He wants £1,850 for it, with a 6 month guarantee. They do take credit cards.

It is £150 for shipping - which is probably right for something that size and weight.

Naturally, he expects the engine to sell quickly. (That is salesmen for you).

Your thoughts, esteemed colleagues?