S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket job cost for 2003 V8 S-type?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head gasket job cost for 2003 V8 S-type?

Hello,
I just found out that the series of cooling system issues that I have been having on the S-type that I just got is caused by exhaust gases getting into the cooling system. The system stays pressurized for hours after driving the car, also. My independent mechanic, a Jaguar Master Technician, just ran a test for exhaust gasses in the coolant, and found a lot. He works at a shop with a guy I have been going to for years, who never make things up or exaggerate them, so I have to believe them.

Any idea what the range is for this job? Dealer vs independent. I hear it is a fairly hard job on the s-type due to the lack of room to work. (US dollars)

I am going to try to get the car dealer where I bought it to foot the bill. They said they 'stood behind' the car. I am hopeful that is true. But, I should be prepared for the worst. At least I will have an excuse to put the metal timing chain tensioners in.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

with an 03....I should think yout tensioners are good?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Just as an FYI any tech now working as an independent is no longer a Master Tech as he is no longer current in his training (classroom & online) as well as his certifications.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
with an 03....I should think your tensioners are good?
There's always a bright side to things isn't there?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

It is very rare to have head gasket problems on the V-8. Of course without car details I am guessing?? Can you tell us how the head gaskets went bad? Maybe a bunch of overheating? This is usually bad enough to warp the heads and then the gasket goes.
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,604 Likes on 8,299 Posts

Originally Posted by layres
Hello,
I just found out that the series of cooling system issues that I have been having on the S-type that I just got is caused by exhaust gases getting into the cooling system. The system stays pressurized for hours after driving the car, also. My independent mechanic, a Jaguar Master Technician, just ran a test for exhaust gasses in the coolant, and found a lot. He works at a shop with a guy I have been going to for years, who never make things up or exaggerate them, so I have to believe them.

Any idea what the range is for this job? Dealer vs independent. I hear it is a fairly hard job on the s-type due to the lack of room to work. (US dollars)

I am going to try to get the car dealer where I bought it to foot the bill. They said they 'stood behind' the car. I am hopeful that is true. But, I should be prepared for the worst. At least I will have an excuse to put the metal timing chain tensioners in.

Where 'bouts in Calif. is you ?? North..South..East ..West..
What dealer if I may ask ?? Just curious..

Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM

When I got the car, the coolant level kept going down and it took too long to heat up. Found no thermostat. Put one in and it started blowing hoses. Fixed that it started bubbling gasses and coolant out when I turned it off, so the level went down. No leaks. Finally mechanic ran an exhaust gas twice, once with fresh coolant.
I'm in Santa Barbara, bought the car out of town from a small dealer who says he stands behind his cars, and has so far, so I will give him a chance to fix it in his shop.
It is possible that he didn't know about the problem. It is rare.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

That sure sounds like it was overheating a bunch. Then they took out the thermostat to hide the problem and then traded it in and dumped the problem. I would now be VERY suspicious of the car. Check every detail while this car lot still stands behind it.

Also good luck with such a dealer because it usually does not end well. Even with a real warranty it's sometimes hard to get the dealer to fix stuff.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Default Dealer to fix the problem

Good news. I talked to the dealer/owner, calmly explained the problem, the steps taken, tests and syptoms, and he said that they will fix it. Taking it in Saturday.
It is a small town, he's been there since the 80's and he has a brisk buisiness. Maybe this is why- he stands behind the cars he sells.
He apologised and said that head gasket failures are rare on these cars, it was a consignment sale, and he had no idea it was bad.
Seems like an honest guy. I wonder what his favorite drink is , should get him a bottle!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Good idea.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I agree, he sounds like a rare breed.