S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head gasket replacement!:(

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014 | 03:58 PM
|
Default head gasket replacement!:(

what seals and parts would i have to replace when doing a head gasket....is it just the 1 itself??? (2003 s-type 4.2 v8) im gonna do water pump an thermostat to.

Old 10-09-2014 | 10:43 PM
Default Did this last year

first you will need the front cover gasket, valve cover gaskets.........hopefully you will find a kit on ebay........I paid 455 for a complete gasket kit.........I would replace the head bolts with new ones......the heads were 700 to be rebuilt for both......new water pump, tensioner and idler pulleys........thermostat if you are there would be good........check all hoses and replace them as needed.....check the chains and tensioner (I replaced all of them since I was there).....camshaft sensors are cheap so I replaced those also.....check engine mounts for leaks.......ac compressor health.........

I think I ended up spending a little over 2000 with everything.......plus my labor.....

Old 10-10-2014 | 12:17 PM
|

Thanks for the reply. And also the advice.Greatly appreciated! ive orderd the parts and the shop repair handbook. wish me luck!

Old 10-10-2014 | 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

We don't see much if any head gasket problems on the 4.2L.
Can you tell us what happened?

Old 10-10-2014 | 12:36 PM
|

Originally Posted by jagswag
Thanks for the reply. And also the advice.Greatly appreciated! ive orderd the parts and the shop repair handbook. wish me luck!
well most of them before your post. probably start next week i get definite diagnosis. but pretty sure thats it.

Old 10-10-2014 | 01:43 PM
Default In my case

It was a cracked radiator!

Old 10-10-2014 | 01:48 PM
Default Just take it easy

It was not a bad job, but you will run into a bolt or nut that does not want to come out for the love of God!.....ziploc bag all the bolt and write with a permanent marker what they are......same with plastic clips.....

Ah yes forgot to tell you that since you have to remove the radiator might as well do the tranny pan and some fresh fluid and sleeve!.....fuel filter replacement maybe?

Old 10-12-2014 | 09:21 AM
|

Originally Posted by tbird6
We don't see much if any head gasket problems on the 4.2L.
Can you tell us what happened?
the car ran fine other than adding coolant weekly. I stop at light then car died. Wouldnt start till i held down throttle. When it started it had small tick n was jerking at stop. then i got it to a parking lot a block away then it died.was bubbling out water then sucking it back in an had oil smoking from back of motor ( i saw a small splatter on firewall).i changed the spark plugs there was oil n there from maybe valve cover leak?but after i changed the plugs it started and idled on its own still with the tick and jerking when slowing to stop. i had It towed to shop mechanic said the ignition coils were good timming chain seemd in time. Did a compression test and 3 out of 4 cylinder had no compression. (What He said) . That He didnt know what the prob was he would have to go deeper in the motor to find out.

Old 10-17-2014 | 05:39 PM
|

the car ran fine other than adding coolant weekly. I stop at light then car died. Wouldnt start till i held down throttle. When it started it had small tick n was jerking at stop. then i got it to a parking lot a block away then it died.was bubbling out water then sucking it back in an had oil smoking from back of motor ( i saw a small splatter on firewall).i changed the spark plugs there was oil n there from maybe valve cover leak?but after i changed the plugs it started and idled on its own still with the tick and jerking when slowing to stop. i had It towed to shop mechanic said the ignition coils were good timming chain seemd in time. Did a compression test and 3 out of 4 cylinder had no compression. (What He said) . That He didnt know what the prob was he would have to go deeper in the motor to find out.
runs rough and when i take oil cap off it has suction .and if completly off car wants to bog down and die????