Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp bulb change

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlamp bulb change

Hello,
I am looking to change a burnt out low beam bulb on my 03 S-Type. Do I need to remove the bumper cover, or is it "accessible" from top? Apologies for any redundancy, I searched this forum using "headlight" as my generic search term.

Cheers,
Shamoon from Seattle

Last edited by Shamoon; 01-23-2023 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:07 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hate to be that guy, because you’re not going to like this…..

To replace the bulbs properly, you need to drop the entire front bumper and remove the headlight assembly. (Yes, that’s directly from Jaguar documentation…it’s a Jaguar thing…)

Some have cheated and drilled access “ports” (if you will) from the top of the headlight housing to avoid this. Some have small enough hands that they could do it in place, I am not one of those folks. The low beam bulbs are held in with those god awful metal pressure clips (versus the twist in kind); it is incredibly easy to break something while applying pressure to release the clips. Additionally, if you have HIDs, the tabs on the igniters (black box on the back of the bulb) love to snap clean off.

If you choose to drop the bumper, replace every bulb and component (i.e. igniter for HID) while you’re there. If you’re planning on installing an aftermarket HID kit or LEDs, now is the time.

My two cents would also be to bake the lights and remove the lens for direct access to the inside. Clean the projector lens (you’d be amazed how much stuff accumulates over time and severely degrades your headlight output). Then inspect common failure parts such as the white plastic connectors which mount the reflector/lens to the housing. Those are notorious for breaking and leaves you with the “droopy headlights” (many articles on this). Preventative measure would be to order a replacement kit, which uses better plastic which won’t degrade over time.

I have a video series on this I really need to post….maybe I’ll do that this week.

My suggestion (and just a suggestion)….get it over with. Drop the bumper, remove the housings. Bake open and replace the common failure parts and clean. (Read articles about how to do this and do not touch any reflector surface). Ditch factory HIDs (20+ year old parts…) and replace with good brand LEDs all around (including markers, low and high beam). Consult wiring diagrams for HID harnesses versus halogen harnesses for power. Note in some cases (including blinkers) you’ll need canbus LEDs. You’ll have great lighting and won’t have to go through this again anytime soon.

Last edited by LLLA; 01-23-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:58 PM

Hello LLLA,
Thanks for "gory" details, I promise not to shoot the messenger. It sounds like a beast of a job, especially if I want to do it "the right way". I will have to bite the bullet and do this, sooner rather than later.
You mentioned you did a video series on this? I have been looking for such on YT, and most of them focused on HID conversions. There are separate camps that like HIDs or LEDs.
I was actually leaning more towards same wattage halogens (55w for H7 low beams, 55w 9005 high beams).
Any thoughts on "just a halogen" replacement/swapout? Or do LED's just last that much longer? I plan to keep the car as long as I can procure parts (and gasoline, 2035).

Thnx agn,
Shamoon

Originally Posted by LLLA

To replace the bulbs properly, you need to drop the entire front bumper and remove the headlight assembly. (Yes, that’s directly from Jaguar documentation…it’s a Jaguar thing…)

Some have cheated and drilled access “ports” (if you will) from the top of the headlight housing to avoid this. Some have small enough hands that they could do it in place, I am not one of those folks. The low beam bulbs are held in with those god awful metal pressure clips (versus the twist in kind); it is incredibly easy to break something while applying pressure to release the clips. Additionally, if you have HIDs, the tabs on the igniters (black box on the back of the bulb) love to snap clean off.

If you choose to drop the bumper, replace every bulb and component (i.e. igniter for HID) while you’re there. If you’re planning on installing an aftermarket HID kit or LEDs, now is the time.

My two cents would also be to bake the lights and remove the lens for direct access to the inside. Clean the projector lens (you’d be amazed how much stuff accumulates over time and severely degrades your headlight output). Then inspect common failure parts such as the white plastic connectors which mount the reflector/lens to the housing. Those are notorious for breaking and leaves you with the “droopy headlights” (many articles on this). Preventative measure would be to order a replacement kit, which uses better plastic which won’t degrade over time.

I have a video series on this I really need to post….maybe I’ll do that this week.

My suggestion (and just a suggestion)….get it over with. Drop the bumper, remove the housings. Bake open and replace the common failure parts and clean. (Read articles about how to do this and do not touch any reflector surface). Ditch factory HIDs (20+ year old parts…) and replace with good brand LEDs all around (including markers, low and high beam). Consult wiring diagrams for HID harnesses versus halogen harnesses for power. Note in some cases (including blinkers) you’ll need canbus LEDs. You’ll have great lighting and won’t have to go through this again anytime soon.

Last edited by Shamoon; 01-23-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 509 Posts

Shamoon: Which side is burnt out, left or right?

Old 01-24-2023, 07:33 AM
Received 298 Likes on 203 Posts

Are the 2002.5 cars so much different from the series 1 cars? With mine (MY2001), bulbs are just fitted from the engine compartment side and the service guide suggests the same for the 2002.5 cars?

Old 01-24-2023, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Neilr: The ABS unit blocks access on the right side of the engine compartment and the air filter box (and assorted plumbing) must be removed to get adequate access on the left side. The hood release cable runs right past the middle of the opening on the left hand housing making reaching the bale for the bulb problematical.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:49 AM
Default Left side

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
Shamoon: Which side is burnt out, left or right?
It is the driver's side (Left)

Old 01-24-2023, 11:52 AM
Default Poking around more

Originally Posted by neilr
Are the 2002.5 cars so much different from the series 1 cars? With mine (MY2001), bulbs are just fitted from the engine compartment side and the service guide suggests the same for the 2002.5 cars?
I was looking at it more today. It would appear that I might be able to reach with my skinny hands and replace the H7 with another halogen bulb. That would solve the immediate issue.
If not, I will have to remove a few things to gain "access from above". This still beats dropping that front bumper cover!

Old 01-24-2023, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Shamoon: If you look at my response to "neilr" above, it is possible to change the left hand bulb. I did it last weekend myself.

You will need to remove the air filter housing and associated plumbing. The wire bale which holds the bulb is a right ******* to deal with because as you try to release the catches for the bulb, the entire reflector assembly will flex and may break if you are not careful in the extreme. I used a small hook shaped tool to hold the bale at its hinge as I pressed inward and down to release; this helped minimize movement of the reflector. Below you will find a pic which was provided by a helpful member over on the so-called British Jag forum:

Last edited by S-Type Owner; 01-24-2023 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shamoon (02-14-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 03:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I haven’t forgotten about the video series I promised; working on that this week.

Shamoon (02-14-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 07:02 PM
Default Driver’s side halogen H7 replaced!

Folks,
huess whose skinny-mini fingers and tiny hands were able to squeeze between the headlamp assembly and crossmember?

My Britcar stable

Originally Posted by LLLA

Old 02-11-2023, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Good news! Now, I am sure the other members in the Pacific Northwest are wondering if you make house calls.... ?

Shamoon (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
Good news! Now, I am sure the other members in the Pacific Northwest are wondering if you make house calls.... ?
Ha! I am actually totally willing to make house calls. Standard rate: N/A beer and pizza.
Yes, I am cheap. We need to foster our community. It takes a village.
CANNOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH!!

S-Type Owner (02-14-2023)