S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamps cycle up & down how often?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Headlamps cycle up & down how often?

This is kind of unbeleivable but I just got done with a PPI at a Jag dealer and the car is now back in the hands of the seller but the dealer can't tell me if the headlamps are working properly!

WTF!

They said they did not cycle at the time they did the inspection but they're not sure if it does this on every startup of the car?

So what's the story? I've read that they may not cycle every time if you're close to a wall or something? A lot of opinions on here.

What's the fool proof method for a test?

The car has a year left on the Select Edtion warranty which he said should cover a repair as long as no one had broken the units via abuse by changing a bulb improperly or something.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Sounds like a weasel out excuse because they've gotten nailed a little too often on these units?

I know about the screw fix but if it won't lift at all that's a different matter I think?

Thanks

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-22-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Without the forward radar of the ACC the car doesn't know whether it's near a wall or not. So they don't cycle based on that!

I reckon they do it every ignition on. Maybe not if you've literally just shut the car off - I don't know either way in that situation. But the car comms networks should all be shut down by 40 mins (yes, 40) so I reckon they'll cycle. However, I don't know for sure, and the car can tell it's recently been run because it can check all sorts of things e.g. the time (yep!) or IAT (intake air temp) against ECT (engine coolant temp) or arguably just ECT. So, it would be possible it could skip the headlight stuff.

Gotta say I think they're trying it on and also the word weasel does look justified. I also wouldn't be happy.

There's almost no way to show whether abuse has occurred unless it's blatant (broken screwdriver embedded in there or some such lol).

I'm not entirely sure you're right about that screw fix part but heck you should not be having to think like that with an SE car!!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Oh now I feel so much better ... ;>)

No, I wouldn't try the screw in the back fix (headlamp not the Jag tech that futzed this test) thing until it was out of warranty. As I understand it that fix only good for fixing a broken internal resting perch. I'm not sure why he was so non committal. He probably always runs for cover when tough issues arise. Except for this the car checks out great. The guys who did this PPI won't even be doing any work on the car since I'm flying in to pick it up and drive home.

Other people on here have said they don't always cycle.

That was contradicted by another person who said they do indeed cycle every time and if they don't something is wrong.

Even the techs at this Jag agency disagreed with each other.

Maybe I should just call a Vegas bookmaker to get the latest odds ...

Thanks for the reply.

Bob S.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

We don't have the adaptive headlights (thank goodness) on our 2005 S-Type, but my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 SUV does unfortunately have them. I can tell you that they cycle and rebalance every time the ignition switch is turned on, even if it was just turned off 30 seconds ago. She keeps the headlights switch in the "auto" position 100% of the time....

Don't know how much of this would apply to your case, but I figured you might want to know....

Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
I reckon they do it every ignition on. Maybe not if you've literally just shut the car off - I don't know either way in that situation. But the car comms networks should all be shut down by 40 mins (yes, 40) so I reckon they'll cycle. However, I don't know for sure, and the car can tell it's recently been run because it can check all sorts of things e.g. the time (yep!) or IAT (intake air temp) against ECT (engine coolant temp) or arguably just ECT. So, it would be possible it could skip the headlight stuff.
I just had the salesman turn the ignition on and the headlamps cycled properly. It would need to be when the ignition is on and not the headlamps or it might blind on comming traffic once you tureed on the head lights. Now maybe if it isn't moving and it's repeated it will skip the cycling like you've suggested. Anyway I'm going with it as ok and the was the last thing to check out on this car.

Bob S.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
We don't have the adaptive headlights (thank goodness) on our 2005 S-Type, but my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 SUV does unfortunately have them. I can tell you that they cycle and rebalance every time the ignition switch is turned on, even if it was just turned off 30 seconds ago. She keeps the headlights switch in the "auto" position 100% of the time....

Don't know how much of this would apply to your case, but I figured you might want to know....
Thanks.

Bob S.