Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Adjuster Repair Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight Adjuster Repair Tutorial

Hi

I wanted to let everyone know that I created a tutorial on the installation of X-Type and S-Type headlight adjusters. I get at least one contact per week asking how to put the parts in so I did the best I could.

It is just the parts instillation, I think there is plenty of info on getting the lights out of the car and separating the lens from the bucket.

The images are using the S-Type Headlamp but the procedure is the same for the X-Type.

Installing x-type and s-type headlight adjusters

Thanks

Joe

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Cee:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-18-2013), Tijoe (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 393 Posts

Great web site!
I know you stated that there was plenty of posting on how to take the lens off, but if you could add a page that describes and shows how to get the lens off, that would really help out the novice or first timer. I found that removing the lens was the worst part of the process. You either need to put the complete assembly in an oven and heat it up until the sealant softens, or use a hair dryer to soften the sealant it as you gradually remove the lens.

I also found that my original white plastic parts were completely rotten and the plastic shattered into little pieces/powder as I removed the old broken parts. (Really poor choice of plastic material by Jaguar?)

In the headlight assembly I repaired, I removed all the sealant and installed new sealing tape/adhesive.

I purchased mine from a company called Filmtools:
CRL Black Butyl setting tape/adhesive CRL1303. Worked great!

I purchased my repair kit from E-bay.

Last edited by Tijoe; 07-17-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Add sentence
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Seems Hella made the pathetic headlamps. I gather they supply to other makes, too

Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. You described the process pretty well, l should just paste your thread on there . I'll try to put some more things on there, it takes me a while to get it right because website design is not something I do every day. I replaced the butyl rubber also but it is probably unnecessary in most cases and it is a real pain to clean the old stuff out.

Joe

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Great web site!
I know you stated that there was plenty of posting on how to take the lens off, but if you could add a page that describes and shows how to get the lens off, that would really help out the novice or first timer. I found that removing the lens was the worst part of the process. You either need to put the complete assembly in an oven and heat it up until the sealant softens, or use a hair dryer to soften the sealant it as you gradually remove the lens.

I also found that my original white plastic parts were completely rotten and the plastic shattered into little pieces/powder as I removed the old broken parts. (Really poor choice of plastic material by Jaguar?)

In the headlight assembly I repaired, I removed all the sealant and installed new sealing tape/adhesive.

I purchased mine from a company called Filmtools:
CRL Black Butyl setting tape/adhesive CRL1303. Worked great!

I purchased my repair kit from E-bay.