Sponsored by:

Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 05:19 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Headlight question

Hello everyone
I would like some information if possible regarding headlights

I have ended up purchasing another set of headlights for my 2004 s type from the United Kingdom

Have not received them yet

but what I need to know is

On my original lights they had a little motor that adjusted the level from in side vehicle i think it is if you are towing or have a heavy load in boot so you don't blind oncoming vehicles

I believe my replacement lights do not have this motor to adjust light level

so is it possible to install original light level motors to replacement lights
Thanking you

Old 04-22-2023, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 310 Posts

>> On my original lights they had a little motor that adjusted the level from in side vehicle i think it is if you are towing or have a heavy load in boot so you don't blind oncoming vehicles

Yes, that it what the little motor is for. It does not change the level a big deal, just a little bit for exactly that purpose. The rough major initial adjustment is still done by hand on the adjuster screws on the headlights.

As you wrote, you are not sure, if the replacements do have that motor - and you did not write, if your replacements are NEW or USED. If used, expect having to buy that adjuster screw replacement kit and having to fix the replacements, before you can use them. That kit - if I remember correctly does also have parts to replace the broken sprockets on the adjuster motor. If I am right there, you might need that kit even if you bought new replacements, because you might have to replace a part on your adjuster motor as well - assuming that the motor would fit the replacements, which I cannot say, but which you will know, when you got both headlights in front of you. Thus, wait until you received replacements before ordering the kit.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:11 AM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
>> On my original lights they had a little motor that adjusted the level from in side vehicle i think it is if you are towing or have a heavy load in boot so you don't blind oncoming vehicles

Yes, that it what the little motor is for. It does not change the level a big deal, just a little bit for exactly that purpose. The rough major initial adjustment is still done by hand on the adjuster screws on the headlights.

As you wrote, you are not sure, if the replacements do have that motor - and you did not write, if your replacements are NEW or USED. If used, expect having to buy that adjuster screw replacement kit and having to fix the replacements, before you can use them. That kit - if I remember correctly does also have parts to replace the broken sprockets on the adjuster motor. If I am right there, you might need that kit even if you bought new replacements, because you might have to replace a part on your adjuster motor as well - assuming that the motor would fit the replacements, which I cannot say, but which you will know, when you got both headlights in front of you. Thus, wait until you received replacements before ordering the kit.
Hi thanks headlights from uk are used ones
The lights I currently have in car have new adjusters
the problem with them is the beam pattern so failed wof
so if need be can take adjusters from original lights
thanks
Darrol