S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight washer jet question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 252 Likes on 169 Posts
Default headlight washer jet question...

when and how do the headlight washer jets hidden in the bumper below the headlights deploy?

Is there a separate button somewhere to activate them? Or do they deploy when you activate your standard windshield washer jets?

Don't think I've ever seen them deploy, but I lost the cover once last year, and if they are constantly opening up and smacking back in, it's bound to go missing again... so maybe I'll just disable the pump... although I swear I've never seen them deploy and the pump probably isn't working which is quite fine with me!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,561 Likes on 3,965 Posts

On mine they work only when headlights are on and I understand only every 6th squirt of the windshield washers (I think counting from ignition on). They're pumped out by the water.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree with above. Mine don't work either, but thee is a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. F11? Mine is intact, so that's not the cause, so still looking.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts

What headlight washer jets? Don't see any on my 2005 (ex-California) STR. Based on what JagV8 says about every 6th squirt, and what GT42R says about missing covers, I am quite happy not to have them.

I did read somewhere that certain S-types were fitted with headlight washers (and bigger fluid tanks) and others were not, but can't remember what Jag's rules were.

My last car was a Saab 9000 Aero, and it had washers and wipers that were operated by a separate switch. Simple, logical, worked really well but was a pain to maintain.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Received 252 Likes on 169 Posts

Yup, I noticed some models came with them, others did not. Yours being a cali car, no surprise you don't have them. Seems like an option more likely group with the cold climate package that came on canadian cars for instance...

Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
On mine they work only when headlights are on and I understand only every 6th squirt of the windshield washers (I think counting from ignition on). They're pumped out by the water.
That sounds right. For some reason, very few US cars had them. (?)

Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Here, by law HIDs must be self-levelling and must have washers. I think it's EU & UK law, but not USA. It's to try to cut down on blinding others, I understand.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM

OK, looked a bit more at this. The fuse is F11 in the engine fusebox. There is a relay too, R18.
I have checked the fuse, it's OK and I've checked the relay, it clicks when you operate the screen washers. It only does it first time and every sixth time, as has been said.
That leaves the washer pump at fault or a blocked pipe to the powerwash system.

I can't see a seperate pump for the power wash system, so does anyone know if it shares the same pump/reservoir as the screen washers?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

2 answers:
1. look at JTIS elec guide
2. I don't see how it could as it only operates every 6 times

edit: cheated and looked at #1 and it's separate

Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM

I'm trying to navigate the CD that I got off the interweb, but it's a pdf of a paper document, not easy to see what's what.

I imagined that it would have a seperate pump/reservoir or why would it have a fuse and relay? Or it could be a relay that controls the direction output of the water when the stalk is pressed, sharing it between screen and headlights on the first press, then every 6 after that.

You have answered the query anyway, but I just need to find this actual unit within the car. Any idea?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to help out the OP and myself.

edit: why doesn't my signature show here......?

Last edited by manycars; 04-26-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

JTIS generally shows things. Free on here so start with it.

The following users liked this post:
manycars (04-27-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 269 Likes on 202 Posts

There are 2 pumps ---one for the windshield washers and a separate one for the headlamp washer.There is only one tank.It is located in the passenger side wheel well right at the front,behind the front bumper cover.

F-11 in the engine compartment is for the headlamp washer only,and the relay is R-18 in the same location.

The windshield washer pump fuse is in the passenger compartment fuse box,position F-12,relay is in the trunk.

You can get access to the pumps by removing the under cover.

The following users liked this post:
Carpn (08-19-2017)
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by manycars

I imagined that it would have a seperate pump/reservoir or why would it have a fuse and relay? Or it could be a relay that controls the direction output of the water when the stalk is pressed, sharing it between screen and headlights on the first press, then every 6 after that.

You have answered the query anyway, but I just need to find this actual unit within the car. Any idea?
Normal operation is the two 'arms' holding the nozzles first extend from the front bumper, then the jets squirt. This happens a second or two after the windshield washers operate.

Do the arms extend on your car?

Remember they only work when the headlights are on.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 AM

Hi Mikey
I understand about every 6th press and lights being on, but the arms don't extend at all. I gather that they only operate under water pressure, so as I've checked the fuse and relay, the only area left to check is a blockage or a duff pump.
After much searching, my workshop CD shows a seperate pump, as was advised above, which is located under the front bumper. I'll need to get the undertray off, then see if any water is getting that far or if the pump is operating at all.

Then I need to fix the drivers window, the reversing sensors......

Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Six Rotors

F-11 in the engine compartment is for the headlamp washer only,and the relay is R-18 in the same location.
Indeed, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Thanks though.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
when and how do the headlight washer jets hidden in the bumper below the headlights deploy?

Is there a separate button somewhere to activate them? Or do they deploy when you activate your standard windshield washer jets?

Don't think I've ever seen them deploy, but I lost the cover once last year, and if they are constantly opening up and smacking back in, it's bound to go missing again... so maybe I'll just disable the pump... although I swear I've never seen them deploy and the pump probably isn't working which is quite fine with me!
I have a Canadian (same as US?) 2005 S-Type with the headlight washers. My covers also fell off and I ended up getting new ones from the dealer for $90 ea. (including spraying/painting) as the retaining pins had become damaged and they were barely hanging on. The dealer indicated that normal operation was that they would deploy every 6th press of the windshield fluid button when the headlights are on - which is all the time in Canadian vehicles - and mine do this. The dealer fitted them for me as I was paranoid about breaking them after spending $180 - turns out you just pull the nozzle out and clip them on. Pretty simple.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by chtp66
The dealer indicated that normal operation was that they would deploy every 6th press of the windshield fluid button when the headlights are on - which is all the time in Canadian vehicles - and mine do this.
Not quite true. If just the DRLs are on (not main beams) the washers will not deploy.

There's quite a few differences between US and Canadian S-types, surprisingly.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not quite true. If just the DRLs are on (not main beams) the washers will not deploy.

There's quite a few differences between US and Canadian S-types, surprisingly.
Sorry, you're right. The headlight washers do only activate when the headlights, not daytime running lights, are on. My mistake.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washer jets

Agree with above. Mine don't work either, but thee is a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. F11? Mine is intact, so that's not the cause, so still looking.
did you find anything to help in getting your jets working ?

Old 07-01-2016, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry washer jets

did you get the washer jets working yet ? mine are non functioning also, i have changed the fuse and still not working....

Quick Reply: headlight washer jet question...