S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights, turn signals, fog lamps not working...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Headlights, turn signals, fog lamps not working...

This is a pre-purchase question regarding a 2005 S-type 3.0 I would like to buy. I have not been able to find any similar forum threads on this subject. So, I'm hoping someone can offer some help and insight.

From what I've been able to garner by browsing the forum, S-types have "modules" that seem to control related functions of the car's operations. The headlights, turn signals and parking or fog lights do NOT work. Essentially, none of the lights in the front of the car work. However, all the lights in the back of the car are OK. And, none of the functions of the car's windshield wipers work either. But, everything else electric works fine.

Is there a bad module in this car that if replaced would have all or most of these parts working? If this is the case, what's the "ballpark" dollar amount for doing so if a mechanic does it (unfortunately, I'm not a DIY-er)?

If a module replacement is not the solution, what else might be wrong? I can get this car at a pretty good price, so it may very well be worth it to buy and fix.

Last edited by AzRon; 02-05-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

All modern cars have them. Some a lot, some just a few.

The Electrical Guides are on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource and you'll need them if you get the car. You can think your way around them. (And if you don't fancy that , consider not getting the car. But it's not that hard to do if you spend some mental effort.)

The following users liked this post:
AzRon (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
All modern cars have them. Some a lot, some just a few.

The Electrical Guides are on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource and you'll need them if you get the car. You can think your way around them. (And if you don't fancy that , consider not getting the car. But it's not that hard to do if you spend some mental effort.)
If I understand you correctly, fixing this is not a "slam dunk" for even an experienced Jaguar mechanic. And, it's a problem with a cause that can not be pinpointed easily. So, successfully diagnosing it might require quite a bit of time which could get very expensive. On the other hand, if I put some brain power into it, it's conceivable that I could figure it out. Am I getting this right?

Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

I can't say what a jag tech would do or how fast they'd be as they vary a lot.

I'd always be inclined to DIY and take time.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Originally Posted by AzRon
If I understand you correctly, fixing this is not a "slam dunk" for even an experienced Jaguar mechanic. And, it's a problem with a cause that can not be pinpointed easily. So, successfully diagnosing it might require quite a bit of time which could get very expensive. On the other hand, if I put some brain power into it, it's conceivable that I could figure it out. Am I getting this right?
I think you are getting it right, it sounds like a problem that may take some time to put your finger on which could make it a good deal, but if you don't have the time or want to use a mechanics finger it might not be such a good idea.

AzRon (02-06-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 05:24 PM

I'm finding that referencing the info that's on JagRepairs.com to be a bit overwhelming. I've spent considerable time going through what seems to be the sections of the site that are most pertinent to my issues. And, while I'm accumulating plenty of exposure to Jaguar engineering, I can't say I'm finding what I'm actually looking for... to the degree that it's obvious to me. So, can anybody fine tune my search by hinting at where I will most likely find what I need in the sections below...

Electrical
Circuit Testing
Jaguar Electrical Systems I #600
Jaguar Electrical Systems Introduction #601
Jaguar Electrical Supplementary Restraint Systems Introduction #620 3_04
Jaguar Electrical Advanced Electrical #680
Jaguar Advanced Electrical Systems Revision #682
Jaguar Electrical Systems Multiplexing Systems #684
Jaguar Advanced Electrical Systems & Diagnostics 1997 - 2008 #688
Jaguar Advance Diagnostics Multiplex Electrical Systems MY 1998
Jaguar Multiplex Advanced Diagnostics MY 2002

Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

If you understand electrical and electronic basics (volts, ohms, amps, relays, how to use a meter, etc) then I'd start with the Electrical Guide and skip all of those you posted.

If you don't understand the basics then it's going to be a biggish task (but I thought simple stuff was taught at school).

AzRon (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If you understand electrical and electronic basics (volts, ohms, amps, relays, how to use a meter, etc) then I'd start with the Electrical Guide and skip all of those you posted.

If you don't understand the basics then it's going to be a biggish task (but I thought simple stuff was taught at school).
Thanks for clarifying that having an understanding of the "basics" is basic to understanding the task at hand... because I don't. Maybe the "simple stuff" is taught in UK schools (and that's a great thing if it is), but in my day (40 to 50 years ago) it was not taught in mainstream USA schools. Perhaps, in special trade or technically-oriented high schools "ohms, amps and relays" are and have been common and ordinary topics of conversation among students, they were not in the very average public schools I attended. So, it seems I'll need to refer this all to a pro.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Oh... that's disappointing. Taught here when I was 11 or so, as I recall.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hi Ron and greetings from the far side in Australia,

I try to be a glass half full kinda person, but with your limited skills and need to rely solely on full price professionals to maintain your car, then IMHO, this does not sound a wise purchase. Sure, it may be a simple fix - but in that case, surely the seller would have done so?

I'm certainly not saying don't touch Jaguars, but if you are not well equipped to tackle tasks like this, then sensibly, go for a standard of presentation and history of proven, documented maintenance that minimizes such problems.

I hope my 2c doesn't offend and I admire your spirit. It's not so much that the learning curve is impossibly steep, but it is relentless and very tough without those basics. Fault finding from a schematic is a tough skill to learn by "correspondence". If you are determined, find a retired or semi-retired pro; get him to teach you; then buy the suds to sit, yarn and say thanks.

Cheers

Ken

AzRon (02-17-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Yes. As a general rule any lighting on the front of the car is controlled by the FEM (Front Electronics Module). In the rear it's controlled by the REM (Rear Electronics Module). Now these need to be programmed for your car so you can't just swap them out.

So I think your problems points to the FEM. But you need to do more trouble shooting because it could be something else.

If you want to study it I would get the free JTIS on this forum and look for FEM trouble shooting. If not take it in and hope.

It could be something as simple as a bad turn signal stalk too. Have you monkeyed with that any? Try flipping it every which way. If you see any changes then I would swap the turn signal switch before I did anything else.

AzRon (02-17-2016)