S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlining replacement x202 How To

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 296 Posts

I totally get the short auto-repeat clip above from LLLA - btw: Who is that actress (looks familiar)?

Is there seriously anybody entertaining the idea to remove the windscreen (and cracking it in the process) to replace/restore the headliner?

While I have not done that job on my S-Types, I have done it on one of my X-Types, maybe that is inspiring for someone:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...x-type-272953/

PS: I think I answered my own question: I reckon that's Uma Thurman (in the clip above) and probably in Pulp Fiction.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 11-20-2023 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added PS note
Old 11-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I totally get the short auto-repeat clip above from LLLA - btw: Who is that actress (looks familiar)?

PS: I think I answered my own question: I reckon that's Uma Thurman (in the clip above) and probably in Pulp Fiction.
Close. It's Jane Margolis. She was Jesse Pinkman's girlfriend for a time. (Breaking Bad)

Old 11-20-2023, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I have a bid of a problem recognizing faces. Having that in mind, me guessing it is Uma Thurman is not bad, I guess.

But yes, I have seen all the Breaking Bad Episodes, when they came out back then. Hence, I also knew the face of Krysten Ritter, playing the Character of Jane Margolis in Breaking Bad, playing the role of the daughter of the air traffic controller, who has a minor role with a big "impact" in Breaking Bad....

PS: Plus, in her role as Jane Margolis, she looks like one of my Ex's from a long time ago... - she was only happy, when she was unhappy...

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 11-20-2023 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added PS note
Old 11-21-2023, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I've looked at the leading front edge of this head liner tub. Why do some people think the glass need to come out. This the one area he got perfectly fine WO doing that. The sides and rear are find as well.

He totally flunked on the sun roof and probably left the harness for the automatic wipers sensor either damaged or not fully connected.

Confused?

Old 11-22-2023, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Removing the front and/or rear glass is only to allow you to remove the entire headliner from the car without damage. As has been posted before most shops have figured a way around that because of the huge cost of removing the glass AND the VERY high likely hood of breaking the glass.

In the S-Type if you remove or even lay the passenger seat flat you can bend (gently!) the head liner to get it in and out of the car. Others have done it thru the rear door opening but that is a good bit smaller than the front one. So use the front passenger side door for doing this.

Old 11-25-2023, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

So I'm now leaning towards the Jagheadlings place.
The prices is reasonable. $675 shipped.
They are flexible enough to get installed in the car WO damage and something I missed upon first read ... they come in a specially manufactured box to protect it during shipping.
I'll get enough extra fabric to one day also do the visors.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

$675... - I reckon, what is "reasonable" lies in the eye of the beholder...

You find my link to my thread in my comment above. I applied a lovely material onto the old headliner, and I don't think you could even buy anything as beautiful. I used the material, ELVIS's blue shoes are made out of: suede - or in this case faux suede. And in beige. So it's kind of like Elvis is now always along for the ride...

Old 11-25-2023, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

If you had read all of my posts about the fiasco attempted repair of my headliner you might understand that at this point it's very likely that the moron who screwed up my car probably damaged the shell and and since the glue is relatively fresh removing the head liner material is likely to be a lot of work, read a lot of $. It's also possible that trying to remove the material might result in not having a good smooth surface to glue the replacement material to. I've been to two shops and they said the same thing. In point of fact the first shop didn't want to attempt it.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (11-26-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I don't know about it costing a lot of $ to do it as I do everything myself.
And I don't think that any headliner could be in a worse condition than the one, which was in my X-Type.
If you are referring to the cracks in your headliner: That can be fixed with "liquid nails. and then smoothend up before applying a new headliner fabric over the rotten shell.

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Peter it's not that I don't appreciate the tips but you seem to be ignorant of my circumstances. To review a bit, I can't do this work myself. I've gotten older and I have nowhere to do this work except outdoors in a 1 car driveway any way. Today it's 37F and drizzling ...
So I'll be paying shop rates for all work being done. The first guy I asked was a veteran currently busy working on the interior and tops for an authentic 1934 Mercedes SK500 roadster. He declined the job for all the reasons I posted previously.
The second guy I talked to was concerned at the amount of labor involved in removing the newly glued liner and though about $900 would be involved. He also said that he'd install the one I'm about to buy for $200. So this makes sense for me for my situation. Sipping is the unfortunate high cost here. A domestic supply emailed me yesterday that they now the the item in stock for $1,134.00 plus shipping. Such a deal ...
So let us not attempt to rewrite reality and I'm happy for you that you have the resources to be able to utilize your solution. Get it? Got it! Good!

Old 11-26-2023, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

> ...you seem to be ignorant of my circumstances... Get it? Got it! Good!

Staatsof:
I don't think that I am imagining, when I get the impression that your post above is pretty nasty, and normally I would not waste my time any further in replying - I would just remember your name/handle and not reply anymore to any future questions of yours, as you are clearly not appreciating any help of mine.

But I decided now to respond anyway for 2 reasons:
1. To make you aware of the obvious: That I am spending my time here to help, and therefore a reply of the kind as you posted it above is utterly uncalled for.
2. To ensure that you "GET IT" that the world and this forum do not just revolve around you alone...: See: When I wrote what I wrote above I also had in mind that someone with a similar problem might read this thread in the future, and this someone might come to the false conclusion, that the little crack in the headliner is un-salvageable and the headliner needs to be replaced... I had to put this right above for correct future reference, hence my post... So I hope, you "GET IT" now!

Old 11-27-2023, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Peter ... what part of you are wrong do you not get?
So yes please do ignore me and stop commenting,
BTW, I went out of my way to try and get you to understand how you didn't understand my situation and circumstances or you were willfully ignoring it.
Which ever, I agree let's just stop OK?