S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing clicking noise when revving engine,dont know if its the Supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Hearing clicking noise when revving engine,dont know if its the Supercharger??

Guys I got a problem, I have no freaking clue all of a sudden I'm hearing a clicking noise from my engine but don't know where, I hope to God its not my Supercharger. Ok this is the situation. When I'm in park, and i slowly rev the engine like up to 2000 rpm or so I hearing a clicking sound, click click click, etc.... and even when I stop and go I hear it for a bit and goes away. Now listen to this when I turn off my car and let it sit for 10mins or so, and start her up and rev the engine the sound is gone, but later on it comes back. My temp guage never goes beyond the half mark, its dead center even when the temp outside is 100F +(Florida weather), also I hear the whin noise from the Supercharger when flooring the gas pedal. I really don't know what the hell that sound is and its freakn me out, I hope its not my Supercharger going bad or is gone bad or I'm just paranoid, dont know.
Please if someone can help me out and explain to me what the maintenance is needed for the SuperCharger on the STR and what are the signs when the Supercharger goes bad? Do I need to add special oil to it? or what to keep it maintained. My STR is an 03' with 86k miles on it. REally appreciate it if someone can shed some light on this for me,

Thanks to ALL!
Peace.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
Guys I got a problem, I have no freaking clue all of a sudden I'm hearing a clicking noise from my engine but don't know where, I hope to God its not my Supercharger. Ok this is the situation. When I'm in park, and i slowly rev the engine like up to 2000 rpm or so I hearing a clicking sound, click click click, etc.... and even when I stop and go I hear it for a bit and goes away. Now listen to this when I turn off my car and let it sit for 10mins or so, and start her up and rev the engine the sound is gone, but later on it comes back. My temp guage never goes beyond the half mark, its dead center even when the temp outside is 100F +(Florida weather), also I hear the whin noise from the Supercharger when flooring the gas pedal. I really don't know what the hell that sound is and its freakn me out, I hope its not my Supercharger going bad or is gone bad or I'm just paranoid, dont know.
Please if someone can help me out and explain to me what the maintenance is needed for the SuperCharger on the STR and what are the signs when the Supercharger goes bad? Do I need to add special oil to it? or what to keep it maintained. My STR is an 03' with 86k miles on it. REally appreciate it if someone can shed some light on this for me,

Thanks to ALL!
Peace.
Anyone can help???

Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Doubt the sc, that one is turning at twice the engine speed, so would be lots of clicks per second.
Can you make a recording?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Bet ya it's the A/C compressor with worn/burnt clutch bearing. Turn off the A/C and try again.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

If you live where it is currently very hot, you may have a noisy lifter.
If your engine has high mileage a heavier grade oil might be needed to over come clearance due to the heat thinning your oil.
Check your oil level as well.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
Doubt the sc, that one is turning at twice the engine speed, so would be lots of clicks per second.
Can you make a recording?
I will try to make a recording of it and post the update on here. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
If you live where it is currently very hot, you may have a noisy lifter.
If your engine has high mileage a heavier grade oil might be needed to over come clearance due to the heat thinning your oil.
Check your oil level as well.
Thanks for your help on this, I just got an oil change using 5w30 fully synthetic MObile 1. Before my oil change I heard it alittle bit before the sound, but now when I drive it a long distance it starts making the sound only when I rev the engine or do a stop and go like I mentioned earlier. In your opinion since I'm n Florida and now its summer, what level oil should I be using considering I have 86k miles on my STR?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Bet ya it's the A/C compressor with worn/burnt clutch bearing. Turn off the A/C and try again.
I'm going to check this solution out and give ya an update if It worked, I seriously hope it isn't the A/c compressor gone out or is going to go out, I even changed my cabin filter which looked like shiat!

Thanks for helping me out on this.
cheers!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

I've read that the A/C compressors make a clicking/clanking noise when they're on their way out. I'd take a busted A/C compressor over an upper or lower engine issue anyday of the week. Just shut the A/C off. Even then it still may make noise as the pulley is still rotating...worn A/C compressor pulley.... Use a stethescope.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Whenever I am trying to pin down something like this the best way is to remove one belt at a time and start the engine. See if the sound is gone or changed. It's a bit tough on the STR but I would remove the SC belt and see if the tick is still there. Since someone mentioned a possible A/C noise. I would put the SC belt bake on and remove the other one. I don't drive the car around that way but for a short term test in the drive way it works. Also these are DOHC engines and don't have lifters. The cam works the rocker arm directly. Usually shims are used to adjust the clearances. I have not seen anything from Jaguar telling us when to check the valve bucket clearance??
In my old SHO it was every 100K miles or so.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

As tbird suggests...remove the belts one at a time as means to eliminating rotating devices. It could be the A/C compressor pulley bearings and/or belt tensioner pulley bearing (known to fail on the STR).