Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbroken. Can she be saved?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heartbroken. Can she be saved?

Hi Friends.
I've been a Jaguar owner for about a month now. A Jaguar S-Type, 4 liter with 80,000 original miles on it- one owner.

When we first brought her home, the Dealer called the next day and told us that they had received some parts for her, and to come back in and they would install them. He replaced both valve cover gaskets, and replaced the transmission pan and gasket.
They were so nice about it, they even gave us a loaner for that day.

The day before yesterday, we noticed it being rough on the idle- it felt just like we had got bad fuel. We took it to the nearest Jaguar Dealer to have them look at it.

It's the ignition coils, four of them are bad, but they said it was best to change all eight (wasn't there a recall on this a long time ago?), plugs, and a seal. They said that there was a slight oil leak and that's what caused it, however, we check the fluids every other day, and there was never any missing oil.
The total cost for the repair is $1,900.
Is this something that could have been avoided, and also, is this something we can do ourselves?
Thank you for reading.
- S

Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

It is a common thing to happen especially in preface vehicles (US versions 2000 through 2002) hell even some post face lift vehicles as well!

By the "seal" that you mention, it must be the (gasket that seperates the valve cover form the spark plug wells.

FelPro makes great after market gaskets and seals for your vehicle. The job is very DIY if you have the tools and JTIS or alldatadiy readily available.

So far best price on coils is www.rockauto.com

You will also need the intake gaskets as well if you are going that route.

The following users liked this post:
space0matic (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanks, Rick.
She's at the shop right now while we decide what to do, and we needed that input.
I can't help but wonder if they installed the valve cover gaskets and the trans pan & gasket correctly at the first dealer.
We had a mechanic inspect the car before we bought it, and it came out problem free.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Good advice from Rick,

I'd suggest doing it yourself or finding someone competent to do it, $1900 is scary!
As it is a 4.0 you should ensure that you have the latest camchain tensioners fitted, what year is the car?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks, Norri
It's a 2000 S-type 4.
JoycesJag, thanks for the link. So far, I have estimated the parts to be $272.00 for the 8 ignition coils, 8 resistor plugs, and 8 ignition spark plug tube seals (if that's indeed what they meant by seal, I'll have to double check).
But I could swear I read somewhere that the 2000's had these recalled a long time ago.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I don't believe they were recalled. What we know is that in the early days of the S-Type's run (say 1999 to 2002), Jaguar tried at least two different coil designs and manufacturers trying to get it right. Problems were common, and different coils were tried again in 2003 and 2004. By the 2005 model year, the coils used at that time were finally settling down and operating normally. We still see coil failures in 2005-and-newer S-Types, but not nearly the volume of failures as in the earlier cars....

space0matic (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM

Holy Cow! I just found this on YouTube. It looks very easy:
Changing plugs/ coil packs 2000 Jag s-type - YouTube

Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

After rereading the OP, I would think that the dealer would have pointed out that the coils were "oiled up".

Simple enough pull the coils out and look to see if they are wet with oil, if not then the coils and plugs (maybe) need to be replaced. The new coils come with boot seals preinstalled (or atleast the MY 2003 and ups are).

Are there any codes?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

space0matic;
Great find and yes DIY. But please follow up on Norri's suggestion after your done with the coils.

The timing chain tensioners are a known problem. Any service records to see if they have been updated? At 80K miles you are in the prime times for them to give out. Jaguar went thru 3 generations before the current all metal design used in 2005 and up. This should be the only style available anymore.

Look at the FAQ for more info. Especially watch the engine sounds on start up. If you read up on it, you can listen for the death rattle before it lets go. The plastic wears over thousands of miles so there are some signs. Just remember that this is an interference engine so the pistons WILL contact the valves if the engine jumps timing.

space0matic (02-28-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
space0matic;
Great find and yes DIY. But please follow up on Norri's suggestion after your done with the coils.

The timing chain tensioners are a known problem. Any service records to see if they have been updated? At 80K miles you are in the prime times for them to give out. Jaguar went thru 3 generations before the current all metal design used in 2005 and up. This should be the only style available anymore.

Look at the FAQ for more info. Especially watch the engine sounds on start up. If you read up on it, you can listen for the death rattle before it lets go. The plastic wears over thousands of miles so there are some signs. Just remember that this is an interference engine so the pistons WILL contact the valves if the engine jumps timing.
+1 on the timing chain, if still original do IT even before coils.

space0matic (02-28-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
After rereading the OP, I would think that the dealer would have pointed out that the coils were "oiled up".

Are there any codes?
Yes, there was oil. That was their explanation for needing the seal- it was leaking oil, and that's what caused them to go bad. They said 4 of them were bad, but it was best to replace all eight.
The engine light came on, but I don't know what the code was (I wasn't driving it)

Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
space0matic;

I will have them check it... quite frankly, what you are describing sounds exactly like what it sounded like when we took it in for the diagnosis.
Thanks, everyone! I will definitely check out the tensioners.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I also would DIY the coils etc. Pretty easy and saves a ton of cash. $1900 is silly. (Even if they quoted for the far more expensive later coils that don't fit your car.)

+1 on making sure about the tensioners etc.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Good advice tendered to Space....all I could add to Rick's first post is even if they DON'T have tools.
..they have $1900 less $300-$400 parts cost vs. The alternative. Can obtain tools and make a good start on tensioner parts for that!!!
Keep us posted

space0matic (02-28-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I didn't know a v8 could even idle on 4 working cyl's

Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

It probably won't but you're assuming all 4 coils entirely stopped working, which they likely didn't.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this is a really old thread but just so you know it will run with an entire side of coils not working. i had two plugs completely removed and two in and coils unplugged in them and it ran on the 4 cyl from the other side.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

LOL! That's good to know...did'nt you originally write that after the purchase the dealer replaced the cam cover gaskets, etc.? If yes, how'd the oil foul the coils? Dealer screwed up on their install and now put the burden back on you? I don't know. I likely missed something that would negate this allegation?

space0matic (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
LOL! That's good to know...did'nt you originally write that after the purchase the dealer replaced the cam cover gaskets, etc.? If yes, how'd the oil foul the coils? Dealer screwed up on their install and now put the burden back on you? I don't know. I likely missed something that would negate this allegation?
Yes. That's exactly where my mind was going- if the Dealer had us bring it back the next day to add some parts 'they were waiting on', I think they might have messed it up then.
If there is a possibility of this, can you tell my exactly how so I can bring it up to the Dealer that sold it to me?
Much, much thanks.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

UPDATE: I asked the Jaguar mechanic (it's still there, waiting on us to come up with the money, or ask the Dealer to pitch in) to check the timing chain tensioners, and do you know what he said? He said they have to check it when they look under the hood again, but, they personally haven't seen any problems with the S-Type 4 timing chain tensioners!! They said that the XJ's are known for it, but not the S-Type 4's. I am losing my mind! It sounds as if even the official Jaguar repair shop even has it wrong!

Quick Reply: Heartbroken. Can she be saved?