S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heaven and Hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heaven and Hell

I haven't posted for a while, but I have a 2000 S-Type, V-6, 3.0 liters. Westminster blue, looks brand new, drives like a kitten when it's feeling okay (has about 110,000 miles) and it's not well right now.

I had a lot of trouble late last year and had to take it to a repair shop in San Diego, one that dealt exclusively with Jaguars, and they replaced modules and did some other work to the tune of $2,000.00. A few months later, I dropped a rebuilt transmission in it - and it was running like the kitten.

I had not run it for a week or so, and I took it out yesterday, It has hardly any power in the lower gears, difficult taking off on a hill, has some power at higher speeds, but there is no passing gear any longer. Any ideas? It drove like a new car a week or so ago.

By the way, to refresh your memories, I live in Mexico just south of the border and get much of the work done here in Baja other than when I take it to San Diego and the Jaguar mechanic.

Thanks to you all for a great forum!

Last edited by Steerforth; 06-06-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Is the MIL on and, if so, what codes are stored in the system?

Does the gearbox that was 'dropped in' have a warranty associated with it? There is sufficient information on the Ford 5R55N gearbox that most competent shops can perform repairs correctly.

The following users liked this post:
Steerforth (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Is the MIL on and, if so, what codes are stored in the system?

Does the gearbox that was 'dropped in' have a warranty associated with it? There is sufficient information on the Ford 5R55N gearbox that most competent shops can perform repairs correctly.
Right. I should have said that when the mechanic tested it with the code reader, about ten different codes showed up - all in Spanish. Now, I have a brand new code reader that I got through eBay that I haven't tried out yet reason being is that I am not too mechanically/technically oriented - and I am ALL THUMBS! The mechanic is going to pick it up on Monday morning and I can ask him. Maybe I will fool around with the code reader tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't mind sharing, which mechanic did you take it to (I am also located in San Diego)?

Steerforth (06-08-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David SD
If you don't mind sharing, which mechanic did you take it to (I am also located in San Diego)?

I use Coventry Cars of San Diego. Very happy with them.

Last edited by 99 kobra; 06-07-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 99 kobra
I use Coventry Cars of San Diego. Very happy with them.
I had used Eli's Foreign Car on University Avenue in San Diego. Found a guy here in Ensenada who did some work, but had a lot of trouble last year, and he couldn't handle it. Wouldn't start, once we got it started, it wouldn't stop, had to go to the engine compartment fuse box and pull out one of the relays to start it and then stop it. But the air conditioning went out, too, at the same time.

I got it across the border to Coventry Cars in San Diego, and he had the problem fixed for less than $300.00. That was the module thing, but the explanation I got from them was that the problem had something to do with a control in the trunk that the dealer adjusts so that mileage will not change as the car is being moved. This apparatus had become clogged. Does this sound right?

Aside from the $300.00, Coventry started quoting prices for repairs that were showing up as error codes including the air conditioner and some other stuff, and it cost me - all total - around $2,000.00 by the time I drove it back to Mexico.

I don't drive it much, and I am puzzled because it ran very well a few days before going bad. The mechanic has it now, so he will get back to me, and I will get back to you.

Last edited by Steerforth; 06-08-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by David SD

See my other reply. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2015, 12:15 PM

Understand that I might be getting the Mexican shuffle, but I am told that the problem is the transmission solenoid - two of them must be replaced. I am getting this information second hand through my housekeeper who is bilingual, and this is what I am hearing.

Apparently, the gasoline pump is not working as it should, so that must be replaced.

I have been advised by several to get rid of the car as soon as I can - considering its age and mileage. I am between a rock and a hard place as I would hate to have to do this, but I cannot keep spending large sums of money on it.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 AM

I have had the car back for about a week now, and it's looking and running like a new car. Consensus seems to be that the electrical system is almost fried, and that's where all of the problems originate.

I was disappointed to the lack of response when I mentioned the repairs done by Coventry Motors in San Diego. I have been a member here for quite a few years, and there was never a time when there was a dearth in advice/experience.

Don't know what I am going to do. The car, while looking brand new, is worth next to nothing.

Thanks for the advice you gave me!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I am not sure what 'consensus seems to be that the electrical system is almost fried, and that's where all of the problems originate' means, but it is always helpful if you post the DTCs that were stored in the system. Regardless of the language, the codes are the same.

If you have been a member of this forum for some time as you indicate, you must also know that many mysterious electrical faults are the result of a failing or weak battery. Did any of these shops bother to test the battery?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Steerforth
Consensus seems to be that the electrical system is almost fried, and that's where all of the problems originate.

I am told that the problem is the transmission solenoid - two of them must be replaced. I am getting this information second hand through my housekeeper who is bilingual.

Don't know what I am going to do. The car, while looking brand new, is worth next to nothing.
Might be a good time to sell. Maybe your housekeeper would be interested?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

The problem is all your explanations do no good.

As was posted above we MUST have the codes to help you.

Odd ball statements like the electrical system is fried are signs of someone who knows nothing about cars.

You gotta help us to help you!

So clear all the codes you have and drive the car. Then get a fresh read of the current codes and post back.

Remember we are all just guessing on the internet from a long distance away!

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
heroooo (06-16-2015), NBCat (06-16-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Needing to rely on a bilingual housekeeper, one who seems not to know cars technically, is a big part of the problem.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 AM

The guy at Coventry Motors in San Diego spoke fluent English, and he is the one who told me about the mechanism in the trunk that has become clogged that caused so much trouble last October. Something to do with the dealer moving the car without the odometer moving, I will ask you again: Does this sound reasonable? Have you ever heard of this?

There are no Jaguar dealers in Mexico, so I am only trying to do the best I can with what I have. I'm an older guy with some health problems and find it somewhat of a chore to drive these days. If I could give up cars and driving, I would do so in a heartbeat.

I don't have the codes any longer. My mechanic farmed the car out to somebody else, and it came back running like new. That's the way it is in Mexico; If one guy can't fix it, maybe the next one will.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Never heard of the trunk mechanism device.

Hopefully it will keep running for you, why not invest in a reader so that you can check the codes yourself?
They are pretty cheap and you can hook up to your laptop or a smartphone.

Steerforth (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
Never heard of the trunk mechanism device.

Hopefully it will keep running for you, why not invest in a reader so that you can check the codes yourself?
They are pretty cheap and you can hook up to your laptop or a smartphone.

Thanks! I do have a brand new code reader but have not had a chance to check it out because I have not had the car very much in the past couple of months.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Best to check it out while all is quiet and make sure it works.

If you can provide the codes along with the problem description you will get a lot more help.