Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hello everyone,
First of all, I want to thank you all for letting me join this forum. I have just purchased a 2001 jag s-type 4.0 since this is my first jag , I don't know anything about how to fix it. I have a problem with my driver's side brake light. Every other lights work fine on that car and its just the left brake light. I bought and after market light and then a p21w light and it still didn't work. I took it to a mechanic who didnt have a clue either. He said the bulb is good and so are the fuses so he told me to take it to the dealer as he didnt have the tools to do any further testing. I am a little dissapointed and I am starting to regret this purchase because i dont have that kind of money to spend on a dealer just for a light bulb. But this car is so pretty that i really fell in love with. Can anyone here help me with this problem in how to get this brake light working? Where are these fuses located on the car that so I can check myself? By the way, on the odometer there is a screen that comes up Left tail light failure every time i step on the brake. thank you everyone for all your help.

Last edited by Kennedy; 07-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I am no jag tech, but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined I would start with sometype of jumper wire on the pin connectors to see if you have power to the pigtail. If not start tracing the wire(s)from the tail light back. Sounds like a pinched wire or possibly cut. Make sure you have the brake pedal depressed at the time of jumper, (I have used another light bulb with jumper wires taped to the contacts). There is no reson to be upset at Jaguar for such a small headache! Who knows what your vehicle has gone through before you purchased it. Being a used vehicle expect some small headaches.

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-07-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Had the same problem, same car. Replaced the bulb and it worked fine, I agree with joycesjag, test to see if your actually getting power, by the way it sounds like you have the wrong bulb. The correct rear signal light is 7507 and stop and tail is 5007, 7225, here's a list, it maybe useful...

2001 S-Type bulbs:
Low beam H7
High beam 9005
Parking 3357ast or all, 2825
Front turn 3357 ast or all
Rear turn 7507
Tail 5007, 7225
Stop 7225
Backup 7506
Licence 2825
Side 2825
Fog H3
Glove 3893
Map 2825
Step 2825, 6418

Cheers!

Last edited by Stevil; 07-07-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you Guys ...I will try your suggestions and advice. i hope this works.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

your mechanic doesnt know how to use a test light???? weird

Old 07-07-2009, 04:53 PM

no, the mechanic did the testing and said everything was good but couldnt due further testing at the computer module that sits by the battery as he doesnt have that equipment. he said the socket assembly was good and that power was being transmitted. i'll try the dealer bulbs. thank you

Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 PM

Regular Sylviana bulbs from any Auto store will work just fine.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

If you have power to the socket.... must be the bulb!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Well, after a couple of months driving with no brake, signal and low beam I finally decided to tackle the situation myself. As mentioned before, my mechanic couldn't figure out what the problem was with the turn signal and brake light. He had told me there was power in the sockets and the problem was probably due to some malfunction on the computer box in the trunk and only jaguar could fix it because it needed special tools. So, i tested it myself with a multi meter on the terminals and amazingly there was no power. i checked the fuse box next to the spare tire and fuse 3 and 7 were burnt. Replaced fuses and VOILA, the bulbs work. I even replaced the low beam light. All this was under an hour. How is that a certified mechanic missed to check the fuses
However, i am having a missfire in cylinder 7 as i will shortly ask for more help in a new thread.
So, Thank you everyone who had offer their expertise and assistance in my success in completing this task.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First of all Im glad its fixed for you.....But to go that long without it working youre not very smart, its also really inconsiderate of other people on the road! When I see someones car like that I always am sure to let people like you know we dont appreciate people without proper lighting on the roads.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Well, after a couple of months driving with no brake, signal and low beam I finally decided to tackle the situation myself. As mentioned before, my mechanic couldn't figure out what the problem was with the turn signal and brake light. He had told me there was power in the sockets and the problem was probably due to some malfunction on the computer box in the trunk and only jaguar could fix it because it needed special tools. So, i tested it myself with a multi meter on the terminals and amazingly there was no power. i checked the fuse box next to the spare tire and fuse 3 and 7 were burnt. Replaced fuses and VOILA, the bulbs work. I even replaced the low beam light. All this was under an hour. How is that a certified mechanic missed to check the fuses
However, i am having a missfire in cylinder 7 as i will shortly ask for more help in a new thread.
So, Thank you everyone who had offer their expertise and assistance in my success in completing this task.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

If you wan't a job doing, do it yourself.

glad you got it sorted.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

in the nicest way possible................. TOLD YA SO!!!!!!!!!!

Now, take a large belt, a brick, some tar, and feathers.......whip the mechanic, strike his AUTO SERVICE sign with a brick, and tar and feather his desk.......maybe then he will get the point.

the preceding post was nothing more then a small joke, glad you got it worked out.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
First of all Im glad its fixed for you.....But to go that long without it working youre not very smart, its also really inconsiderate of other people on the road! When I see someones car like that I always am sure to let people like you know we dont appreciate people without proper lighting on the roads.
Ouch! Burn! Although I do agree with the scolding. A couple months is too long to go without proper lighting. Perhaps life was busy.

Kennedy, don't go a couple months with the misfire.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Point well made. I wasn't driving it always, maybe a total of 3 times. im also a proud owner of a 2003 honda civic that hasnt given me any problems.