S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Air Bag light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP Air Bag light on

I need some help I have my Air Bag light on the dash come on and stay on. Some time it will stay off. This all started happing after my friend was using my car.He said he was smoking acigarette and it fall under the drive seat, he got cigarette out and he pored some water under the driver seat to make sure it was out. Now my Air Bag light go's on/off some times. Is this something that can happen because of the water? I can’t pull and codes with the reader's that I can use.

What reader's do guy's use on the forum?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: HELP Air Bag light on

Water under the seat...that's my guess. The module or harness got compromised. i'd let it air out for a week or two, perhaps unplug the module to facilitate quicker drying, then plug it in later and give it a trial run for awhile. And don't let your buddy smoke in your car. Obviously hazardous to his lungs and your car.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (04-28-2024)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

first, quit hanging around morons
second, the air bag wiring has seperate wiring that doesnt go through the seat module, the SRS connector is yellow and common on this car to break off at the connector under the seat from moving fore and aft. move the seat all the way up and forward, and inspect the connector from the rear. if no visable signs of damage, get codes pulled, it should be giving you flash codes when you first start before it goes solid. next most common thing is steering wheel cancellation module behind steering wheel

Ken Dreger (04-28-2024)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OBD II scanner. You have to remember your seat has a side airbag which is on the same circuit as your steering wheels airbag. I read on a different forum how something similiar to your situation happened in an Infinit I30. Can not find the link though. Anyways air out the module like h20boy says.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

second, the air bag wiring has seperate wiring that doesnt go through the seat module, the SRS connector is yellow and common on this car to break off at the connector under the seat from moving fore and aft. move the seat all the way up and forward, and inspect the connector from the rear. if no visable signs of damage, get codes pulled, it should be giving you flash codes when you first start before it goes solid. next most common thing is steering wheel cancellation module behind steering wheel

Ok I was looking for the yellow srs connector I can’t find it.I cant really see any wires.I tried to pull codes with a reader but nothing. As for the flash codes it is of at this time so I can’t read them, how am I to count the flashes is it 2 or 3 number code or.. I think I am going to pull the driver seat out, is there any thing for me to watch out for. I can unplug all the connector with no problems?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

YOU NEED A SCANNER TO READ AIR BAG CODES AND A OBD2 SCANNER WONT DO THIS, ALSO FLASH CODES ARE 2 DIGIT

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

brutal means you need a more advanced scanner to read codes like the ABS and air bag system. 95% of normal owners won't have this ability with their scanners. Make a friend at the dealership and see if they can pull the codes for you. My service guy doesn't charge me to do this from time to time.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:43 PM

Just an update. My light for air bag/srs if off now after a couple of day drying out the carpet under the driver seat. I use not able to pull any codes. All I know that it is off and working. Thanks you guys for your input.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why this forum is so valuable. Pure experience...

Jack

Old 07-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 XK airbag light

Just comes on sometimes. Has happened when a passenger is there and when not. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I'll have the dealer look at it but I want to know if anyone has any ideas.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Any codes would be in the RCM (restraints control module) so you'd need a reader for that. Cheapest I know of is AutoEnginuity and is about $450.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 07XKRagtop
Just comes on sometimes. Has happened when a passenger is there and when not. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I'll have the dealer look at it but I want to know if anyone has any ideas.
I would try BRUTAL's suggestion to move the seat up and back and forward enough so you can reach under the seat to check the airbag sensor connectors. These are notorious for either breaking or coming apart. On my 2005 S-Type I did this and it fixed the problem. I assume your car is still under warranty since it's a 2007 so you may want to check with your service manager for coverage advice. You could also get a scanner as mentioned earlier to debug your problem.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Taking to the dealer tomorrow. They said warranty will cover it.

Ken Dreger (04-28-2024)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Hi Brutal, I currently have an airbag light 1-9 and I was wondering if you can clarify on how to find the yellow airbag wire under the driver seat? I was not able to find it given your description above. The back of my seat has a carpet skit attached by some kind of bungee cord system. See picture. There's really no way to see any wires except from the front and I could not find any yellow wire that way.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails  HELP Air Bag light on-dscn1523.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Have a look in JTIS for the flash codes. They're in there.

Also, someone (maybe xjrguy) posted the relevant file here so that's another way if you find it - try the FAQs

Maybe just unbolt the seat. Just a few bolts, 4 I think.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

19 usually means module full of crash data. Was the car in an accident?

Edit, my mistake, I believe that would be 13.

Last edited by Bodyman; 12-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 PM

No, the vehicle has never been in a crash.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just fixed this problem on my car: flash code 19
Did a write up with pics on how to fix. Just check my posts and you'll find it pretty easily.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks eds123. I saw your post with regards to the clock spring: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...87/#post419638

I was going to try and find this "yellow wire connector problem" under the seat first, and then look at the clock spring secondly. The reason I'm going to look at this 2nd is that it's more work, and I'm not convinced that's where my problem exists since all other steering wheel functions are working, i.e. horn, stereo and cruise control functions.

I would hate to pull the steering wheel all apart procure and replace this clockspring and realize it's not there. Which I might not have the choice unless I want to take it to the dealership, and even then, I'm not convinced they wouldn't be doing the same guessing game but at a much higher cost.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Every function on my steering wheel worked correctly as well which is why I was hesitant about pulling the steering wheel. Turned out that was the problem. Never found the Plug under the seat either. If you need a clock spring search eBay by the part number because I found a used one for 1/3rd the price of new and it works great. Don't be nervous about the procedure and take your time. One more thing to add is when you install the clock spring it has directions on the front of it for setting it in the correct position. This way your turn signals work correctly.

Quick Reply: HELP Air Bag light on