S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Audio Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Audio Please

I'm sure this topic will have been covered before somewhere in the forum but I am struggling to find the answers I would like for what I would like to do. I apologise if I am repeating previous questions.

So here it goes...

I have a 55 plate Jaguar S Type R, it has the sat nav system but I am not sure if it is the uprated sound system or not. I am happy with the door speakers and playing music from cd's but I would like to be able to install my own subs in the boot.

I have a dvd player in the stack where the sat nav and cd changer are in the boot. My cd changer has stopped working and on the screen it just reads no disc. Not really worried about this because I don't mind changing cd's in the head unit in the cabin.

What I would like to know is if I take the cd changer out would I cause myself any problems? If I can remove the cd changer are there any wires there which I could use to get sound from the head unit to my amp for my subs?

Also would I be able to use any of the wires to tell the amp to switch on and off with the head unit/ignition.

Is there a reason for putting the earth on the amp to the bodywork rather than negative on the battery? The battery is in the boot so it would be easy to connect power and earth straight to it.

Thank you for reading and I hope somebody can help, I have installed sound systems before but not in a car like this, normally renault clio's or similar, which are so much easier to mess about with.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:56 AM

I have had another thought, if what I have mentioned previously isn't possible, or if somebody can't offer a different option... Could I take the audio feed from two of the speakers near the back of the car to go into my sub amp. Are there enough speakers in the car that losing two of them wouldn't really matter and also would this be doable? Thank you

Old 03-01-2016, 03:33 PM

So I have found a post on here about using a line level convertor to get the sound output from the head unit. I've ordered one and am going to give it a try at the weekend. I will update on here about how I've got on and post pictures if anybody is interested in seeing them?

Old 03-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Does yours have small 6.5" subs in the Parsil tray/ rear window ? You can check by looking upwards from inside the boot/trunk !
If it has them it's primium if not then it's not ! All the wiring is in the car to add the primium amp then use its out puts for your line level converter! I bought a primium amp from jagbits for about $85 /$120nzd shipped to New Zealand!
And yes there is a 12v remote feed to the Nav DVD drive!

Old 03-02-2016, 03:18 AM

Thank you for your reply. I don't have the speakers in the parcel shelf so it's not premium. Is there any other way of using the line level converter? It's just that the cheapest I can find the amp for is £160, I think possibly because of it being the facelift edition. Somebody has mentioned on here that the wires for the speakers that would be in the parcel might already be there just tucked away somewhere. Is this correct? If it is could I use these wires for the line level converter. I'm doing my best to keep the costs as low as I can on this project, I have already purchased my subs and amp and don't really want to be spending much more money. Thanks

Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buildingonfire
Thank you for your reply. I don't have the speakers in the parcel shelf so it's not premium. Is there any other way of using the line level converter? It's just that the cheapest I can find the amp for is £160, I think possibly because of it being the facelift edition. Somebody has mentioned on here that the wires for the speakers that would be in the parcel might already be there just tucked away somewhere. Is this correct? If it is could I use these wires for the line level converter. I'm doing my best to keep the costs as low as I can on this project, I have already purchased my subs and amp and don't really want to be spending much more money. Thanks
Yes the sub wires are tucked away but are useless without the amp . As thay are powered by the amp !
with out a doubt it is the easiest way to chuck the primium amp in , and wow the price has rocketed on used ones of those since I bought one!
But there are live speaker out puts coming from the back of your head unit running your speakers , you can tap into them there or even in the B pillar were the door loom plugs in to the car loom! I think behind the head unit is the tidiest way ! Mount the converter in the glove box and run the RCA down the kick panals to the boot , there is a wireing digram some were in jtis up in stickys top of the s type forums! You will have to download it ! There is a tutorial somewhere on this forum also a vidio on YouTube how to remove and install the touch screen/ head unit! Best of luck .

Old 03-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Well, some of the cables I've ordered to do this job haven't arrived yet so it's gonna have to wait another week. I've got my head around how I'm going to do it now though

Old 03-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't give up on cd changer too soon.

Disregard if you've already tried this but before I converted to Veff bluetooth mod (HIGHLY recommended), I had similar problems with my multi-changer that were quickly resolved by using a cheap dvd cleaner disk (~$6).

Good luck with your audio upgrade.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:52 PM

I haven't tried that. I might give it a go. Thank you.

I started my install yesterday and came across a problem almost straight away. There are speakers on the parcel shelf so I decided to use the audio from them to run to my high/low level converter. Removed the carpeting in the boot but the speakers are hidden behind metal so I can't get to the cables. Any tips? The only thing I can think to do is remove the back seats and then I will have access to the parcel shelf but this seems like a lot of work to me. I can just about see some cables which I think go to the speakers, I think they are yellow/green and have a plastic clip on them, I was thinking of undoing the clip and wiring into it, not worried about losing the speakers on the parcel shelf if I have to.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Go to the amp in the boot/trunk and the out puts are there the same colour wires as your parcil tray wires connect to it there ! Much easier ! Than pulling the parcil tray out ! If you need a photo I will post one later today if you like ?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:44 PM

That would help because I don't think I have the premium amp. I'll upload a photo of the speakers I'm talking about. Hopefully I do have the premium that would save so much work/money if I decide to buy the premium amp

Old 03-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

does yours look like this , the premium amp is the one on top with the line level converter stuck to the top of it .

these are the wires to splice in to . they are behind the carpet side panel beside the tail light in the side of the amp

Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 AM

Yeah I don't have that in the boot

I've had a look at the rubber tube that runs from the door into the car and I'm pretty sure I could get cables through that so what I'm planning on doing is running from the back of the speakers in the back doors into the boot

Just need to get more speaker cable because I only got enough to go from the speakers on the parcel shelf. I'll manage this one day

Old 03-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Absolutely no clue what a "55 plate" is, but if that's what we know in the states as MY03 & sub (and I don't believe the "R" was offered pre-redesign) I can't imagine you having trouble getting wires from the parcel shelf to the boot!?!
It's been a few years, but I put solar battery chargers on the parcel shelves of both our S-Types, never removed any seats, though did fold the backs down... and my most vivid memory is of near analysis-paralysis as to which cutout in the steel under the parcel shelf trim panel to go through. You might wanna go take another look..... the STypes can and have presented numerous difficult-to-resolve issues; passing wires between cabin & boot is most definitely NOT one of them...

Old 03-14-2016, 06:04 PM

55 plate is halfway through 2005. I'm gonna upload pics so people can tell what I'm talking about. The seats don't lean forward you have to remove the part you sit on, then the side bolsters, then unbolt the backs of the seats. If I'm running the cables from the doors then I will be able to get them through without doing this but if I want to use the speakers on the parcel shelf there is no access other than a few holes cut in the metal below them.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

The R's are a bit different, there's a cross brace behind the seats but IIRC they do fold down but the release is often hidden behind the carpet.
It sounds like yours don't, have you had them out already?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

yep the seat popper cables are tucked behind the carpet ether side of the boot/trunk
as far forward as they can be , i actually mounted mine were that should be fitted if it wasn't an str and work perfect, as i stated before if the sub woofers are not in the middle of the parcel tray and it has no amp , it is pointless wiring to the parcel tray wires as the wires will just lead to the left rear tail light and be not active without the amp to power them! there should be no speakers in the parcel tray unless its premium exept the reversing beeper ! if there is speakers then some one has been pissing round with it already or it is just missing the amp .
this is what the factory ones look like easy to see from in the boot/trunk
if they are not there then you are waisting your time removing the parcel tray unless your fitting them and or the amp that runs them !

Old 03-15-2016, 03:02 AM

These are the speakers I was talking about

There's one either side and one in the middle.

Does anybody have a pic of where the release is forbthe back seats? I've never been able to find it but would be so handy to be able to flip the seats down, not so much for this because I'm probably going to use the door speakers but for when I need to fit things in the car

Old 03-15-2016, 05:40 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts
Old 03-15-2016, 05:56 AM

oh cool thank you, I found that plastic stick thing and didn't have a clue what it was because it was so hidden. I take it you just pull on it?