Sponsored by:

Help with coolant manifold leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help with coolant manifold leak

Folks,

It seems I have a very slow dripping leak in the coolant manifold on a 04 STR (6 months to go from coolant full to min marking). Its the aluminum cast "pipe" that connects between the two heads that houses the thermostat and has a million pipes coming off of it. The portion that leaks seems to be the lowest hose that I believe goes to the heater core. I have tried to shorten the hose and double clamped it but it still leaks. I believe the leak is between the Al housing and the steel insert that the hose clamps too (seems like the dealer missed it in the 4yr/40k mile last service).

So the JTIS doesn't seem to have the a R&R for this, does anyone know the torque for the bolts that go to the head or block as well as the part # of the different gaskets that I will need when I replace this part. The part can't be cheap, does anyone have any experience with say JBWeld between the Al and Fe parts?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,549 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Please post more info about where / what you mean (maybe photo names in jtis). What if anything needs to be removed to see the pipe(s) concerned? I'm thinking that others may like to look closely at their own!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Take a look at these pictures and see if you can tell where the leak is at?

Attached Thumbnails Help with coolant manifold leak-2003-s-type-r-engine-thermostat-housing-pipes.jpg   Help with coolant manifold leak-2003-s-type-r-engine-thermostat-housing-pipes1.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,549 Likes on 3,958 Posts

TBH, I can't. I'd guess (from the first pic) either the upper of the two large pipes which are close together or else the joint that looks like brass at the upper right elbow (er, is that a temp sensor?)

Lovely pics, btw, so thanks for posting them

Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
ccc

Thanks for posting the picture. Thats the right part. On the opposite side of the thermostat there is a small diameter pipe (right most picture, left side), the in the car points downward. I think the leak is between the cast Al and the steel insert. I don't have any dried coolant above the seam (dried orange stuff) and it starts at the top of the rubber pipe and goes down. I have reclamped it twice and cut about 1" off the hose just to be sure its a tight connection. So I am assuming the manifold is bad

I wanted to remove the part to double check, fix if possible, replace if I have too. Good to know that its just an o-ring on the head side and there isn't any gaskets to scrape off so thanks again for the pictures. Anyone know what the recommended torque is - hate to strip a tread on the engine.

FYI, the pipe is located in front top of the engine where all of the coolant hoses go. I noticed a coolant smell around 30k miles after driving the car and when I when to change the oil, I saw a orange streak going down one of the hoses. You can see it from the top but you need to know where to look.

Is this an issue anyone else had?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

It is a rare leak and I have never heard of it before. I have attached a picture with a red arrow to where I think your leak is? Correct?

Anytime I have an O-ring seal, especially with Aluminum, I just lightly lubricate the O-ring and then just snug the bolts. I know that's not an exact number! If I get time I will check the Jaguar JTIS. Do you have this? If not get one off EBay for about $10. Well worth it!!

Attached Thumbnails Help with coolant manifold leak-jaguar-housing-picture.jpg  
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
ccc

Thanks for posting the picture, the arrow is on the correct port that leaks. The hose goes on the steel part and fits snug against the Al casting where its gets thicker. THe leak seems to come between the hose and the Al portion. At first I though the hose was bad or the clamp was weak so its now doubled clamped and still leaks. Right now I think that either there is a problem with the steel insert to Al casting interface or the steel insert is cracked. Hard to see with a mirror with the coolant tank out so I want to pull the part out.

I looked on the JTIS and couldn't find it under the cooling system and the only diagram that shows the part is part of the engine R&R. At the end, it only takes 1/2 cup of coolant every 10k miles so its cheaper to ignore the problem but I can't bring myself to do that. Going to find out how much the part costs from the dealer today...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Before you contact the dealer! Check out EBay and a guy called "Eurochopshop". He was parting a 2003 s type r. That is where I got the picture from so I know he has one. I don't remember the price but he listed a WHOLE bunch of little stuff and none of it sold. I think the auctions are done but he still is selling a super charged engine and the ZF 6 speed ATX.
I trust him because I ordered a pair of strut tower caps from him with no problem.