S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with DDM HID kit install for 03' STR fog lamps.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Help with DDM HID kit install for 03' STR fog lamps.

Has anyone installed a HID kit for their fog lamps on their STR from DDM? Since my fog lamps were originally H1 type, I ordered the H1 type compatible HID Kit. I'm confused on how to connect the HID kit neg and pos connection wires to my original fog lamp wires. I attached a pic of the HID kit, if anyone can chime in and explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

*if you look at the pic, I'm confused where the black(neg) wire and blue(pos) wires attach to? My H1 fog lamp bulb only has a male(bulb end) and female(socket) connector to it.

Attached Thumbnails Help with DDM HID kit install for 03' STR fog lamps.-p1000161.jpg   Help with DDM HID kit install for 03' STR fog lamps.-p1000162.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 11-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say that the one black connector should go to the ballast and your other two wires would be the pos / neg would attach to your existing H1 bulb connection, this is only my deduction of the set up . Paul

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

When you buy a kit with no or inadequate instructions, ask the seller. If you get no worthwhile help, reject the item you bought. Provide ebay feedback.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
When you buy a kit with no or inadequate instructions, ask the seller. If you get no worthwhile help, reject the item you bought. Provide ebay feedback.
I did find instructions to it on their website but its for a bmw install,lolz. My main concern is the pos and neg cable connection, where exactly it suppose to go on the S type with a H1 bulb connection.

I'll attach the instruction manual so everyone can see it and make something out of it.

Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
h1lowbeam2.pdf (1.43 MB, 368 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I've bought 4 DDM kits and never had an issue with them. The black/blue wires will get attached to the factory wires that would normally go to the stock h1 light.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Dont worry about polarity when connecting the blue and black wires. If you get it wrong you just need to rotate the connector going to the ballast, its a 9005-9006 connector.

Chevy's are notorious for being reverse polarity especially the trucks.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
Has anyone installed a HID kit for their fog lamps on their STR from DDM? Since my fog lamps were originally H1 type, I ordered the H1 type compatible HID Kit. I'm confused on how to connect the HID kit neg and pos connection wires to my original fog lamp wires. I attached a pic of the HID kit, if anyone can chime in and explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

*if you look at the pic, I'm confused where the black(neg) wire and blue(pos) wires attach to? My H1 fog lamp bulb only has a male(bulb end) and female(socket) connector to it.
You Need to do some custom wiring. It's NOT plug and play. But, it IS really simple.

Basically you have two choices here. First choice. Connect the female that plugged into the bulb to the blue wire, and then get a female tab spade connector and run a wire to chassis ground. (Hint - anywhere you see a bunch of brown wires attached to a bolt).

This is what I did: The other option is to unplug the connector going to the external fog light housing, and then cut it off. Then cut the 9006 connector out of the HID harness, and wire it directly to the inputs of the HID harness.

You can put a couple female spade connectors on the original wires, and then plug them into the 9006 harness, or you can solder and heatshrink. That's what I did. Also, when you cut the connector off, make sure u leave enough wire so that you can reattach it in case you ever want to convert back to halogen.

George

Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Dont worry about polarity when connecting the blue and black wires. If you get it wrong you just need to rotate the connector going to the ballast, its a 9005-9006 connector.

Chevy's are notorious for being reverse polarity especially the trucks.

That is almost the exact kit I got for my 99 Camaro SS. I had to flip the black clip at the top of the first pic around so that the "lock" was on the other side of the plug. Worked perfectly after that. Still does. Everything else was pretty intuitive.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
You Need to do some custom wiring. It's NOT plug and play. But, it IS really simple.

Basically you have two choices here. First choice. Connect the female that plugged into the bulb to the blue wire, and then get a female tab spade connector and run a wire to chassis ground. (Hint - anywhere you see a bunch of brown wires attached to a bolt).

This is what I did: The other option is to unplug the connector going to the external fog light housing, and then cut it off. Then cut the 9006 connector out of the HID harness, and wire it directly to the inputs of the HID harness.

You can put a couple female spade connectors on the original wires, and then plug them into the 9006 harness, or you can solder and heatshrink. That's what I did. Also, when you cut the connector off, make sure u leave enough wire so that you can reattach it in case you ever want to convert back to halogen.

George
I've been thinking about doing the HID conversion to my fogs on the same car as the OP. MY question is: IS there a plug and play kit out there for an H1 equipped car? I really don't like the options of hacking on my car's wiring OR on the wires of a brand new lighting kit.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsigmachi
I've been thinking about doing the HID conversion to my fogs on the same car as the OP. MY question is: IS there a plug and play kit out there for an H1 equipped car? I really don't like the options of hacking on my car's wiring OR on the wires of a brand new lighting kit.
Not really, because the H1 uses the housing the bulb itself fits into as a ground, and has only one conductor for +12v

IF you just add a ground wire, and use a female spade to connect it to the ground side of the HID harness, you don't need to hack or cut into anything.

George

Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not really, because the H1 uses the housing the bulb itself fits into as a ground, and has only one conductor for +12v

IF you just add a ground wire, and use a female spade to connect it to the ground side of the HID harness, you don't need to hack or cut into anything.

George
you know, after looking at the directions and reading the comment posted here...the only thing I'm confused about is why the OP is confused.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

George
First off, thanks to everyone for the reply's. George I seriously considered doing it this way like you said using the spade connectors . Man I really wish they had a kit out that would just be plug and play for H1 bulbs, but anyhow its all straight now.

Thanks again..