Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding Ipod/Zune Adaptor or whatever

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Maybe WAV files will yield full quality

Hey I missed this in the Dension spec. For USB it will read WAV files and it doesn't mention a sampling limit but shows "uncompressed".

Compatible file formats
The Audio Connectivity Module can play
most of the popular file formats:
AAC (up to 320 kbit/s).

MP3 (up to 320 kbit/s).

MP3 Variable Bit Rate (up to
320 kbit/s).

WAV - Uncompressed files.

OGG (up to 320 kbit/s).

WMA - except DRM protected files

(up to 320 kbit/s).

So it might process CD files that have been converted to WAV format but not compressed to a lesser quality.

It's worth a try. Parrot doesn't list WAV files in their literature.

There's a 4GB limit for storage size for USB but their latest version of this box has blown that limit out the window.

I wonder if a firmware upgrade would fix this?

Bob S.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Aren't CDs sampled anyway? And at only about 44kbps or thereabouts. I have a vague memory that WAV is basically a direct copy of a CD. There will be full details on the net, posted by people who REALLY know

It's not compression that loses bits, it's that the common audio/video compressions are "lossy" compression as opposed to lossless (which as the name suggests would lose nothing but generally does produce a smaller file; you trade off CPU time against the space saving).

Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Yes everything digital is sampled. No, WAV strictly speaking is not a direct copy. Apparently some of the play-list info and other stuff(?) is lost. As I read it there are a variety of possibilities with WAV format as well. But I think for the garden variety futzer like me who copies an audio CD's files so that I can play them on my computer it is at the same "quality" level which is why I think this may be hopeful.

But basically you end up with a big blob of files and no information system.
The folder names aren't even displayed.

The ACM treats everything like a blob anyway as nothing displays on the cars screen. It is after all a 10 year old design.

Yes the CD isn't regarded as high end. That friend of mine who's an audio buff and is into all of that stuff. He's got a $25,000 turntable. A $5,000 record cleaning machine etc. He lives in a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan with his wife so I don't know where all the equipment is located?

His digital recording stuff is at much higher sampling rates than CD stuff.

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 11-15-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

I found this Parrot installation doc usefull.
http://www.parrot.com/usa/support/on...tion-guide.pdf

Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Default Here's what I ended up doing for my audio

A follow-up report.

I finally got off my **** and got some equipment to let me eliminate the use of the CD changer in the car.

I have the Jaguar Audio Control Module (ACM) which came installed in the car. MYsteriously, mine has no USB input. But it does have the IPOD and aux-in (RCA jacks).

The Ipod works but unfortunately all control from the Ipod side is lost and what doers come on the ACM CD emulator mode is pretty pathetic. Same for the USB stick and aux-in.

So I picked up a Sansa Fuze and the appropriate LOD cable that give you a line-out output for the aux-in jacks on the ACM that's located in the center console bin.

The only sticking point is that I haven't found a working version of a LOD interface that also allows you to power the unit simultaneously from the car.
I have a couple of these but they introduce noise when used in the car whereas they are silent when used in my house but not in the car. So it's listen then charge and listen again for now.

The Sansa was inexpensive, plays very well, has a true line-out and can cover a bunch of lossless formats if you're into that. It also has the Rockbox custom UI available. I haven't tried that yet. Walk then run ...

I'm trying out the FLAC compression format presently as I'd like my home and in-car formats to be the same for simplicity.

Now that I've gotten into the weeds with the pin-out specifications for the Sansa Fuze (similar to the Ipod's) I have to wonder if there might be a way to modify the version used by the Jaguar ACM so that you give up the extremely limited control capabilities available from the car's steering wheel and have it revert full control back to the Ipod itself?

It might just be a simple signal specification change on one of the pins?