Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!- JGATE issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default HELP!!!!- JGATE issue

have 05 s-type 3.0 103k. Today driving just fine. Had made a couple of stops. Then I pulled into a parking space and wanted to back up a touch and the car would not come out of park. Something was holding it. Turned car off and back on- still no dice- I pulled a touch harder and something gave way and the shiftier released, but was too easy and would not get into gear. I put it into park and the car would drive in reverse and the only 2 gears that illuminate are P and N. So what has happened- is this the 2 bolts underneath or something that is under the center console. Is there any technique for removing part of the center console and making a manual adjustment to get into some forward gear or am stuck and need to do what to fix it. This all happened out of the blue and I have no such trouble previously.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas

Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
have 05 s-type 3.0 103k. Today driving just fine. Had made a couple of stops. Then I pulled into a parking space and wanted to back up a touch and the car would not come out of park. Something was holding it. Turned car off and back on- still no dice- I pulled a touch harder and something gave way and the shiftier released, but was too easy and would not get into gear. I put it into park and the car would drive in reverse and the only 2 gears that illuminate are P and N. So what has happened- is this the 2 bolts underneath or something that is under the center console. Is there any technique for removing part of the center console and making a manual adjustment to get into some forward gear or am stuck and need to do what to fix it. This all happened out of the blue and I have no such trouble previously.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas
Sounds like the cable as come un done from the side of the trans .
Under the car.
Check the two 8mm bolts are still attached and tight .
Hopefully the cable did not snap .

Last edited by Datsports; 07-18-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 474 Posts

You can also pop off the trim panel around the shifter. Open the ashtray and pull up firmly on the trim. It is metal backed. Then you can see the shifter connection and check for movement there. If I have left something out someone please correct me

Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Datsports

Sounds like the cable as come un done from the side of the trans .
Under the car.
Check the two 8mm bolts are still attached and tight .
Hopefully the cable did not snap .
Don't think I snapped the cable as I can still get movement to some degree- took off console and moved the shifter to about where number 5 gear was to get it out of the way and then took a screw driver and moved the white plastic piece to it set in drive. Went to where I was trying to park and found an 8mm bolt. So I can get it into neutral, reverse and drive and so what I thought I felt must have been the movement of the cable without one bolt in it.

There is a possibility of the metal pin that goes into the plastic piece that moves and when I move it to the other side of the gate it looks to slip out of the plastic piece, but then slips right back in-line- so it may be made to do that. Curious if anyone knows.

Just need to take it to a tranny guy down the street and let him use a lift vs me jacking up the car and getting under it. I have seen the TSB and Alldata and frankly the drawings are so vague i cannot make out as to where the plate and bolts are.

Any other ideas or suggestions are indeed welcome.

Tom

Old 07-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scottjh9
You can also pop off the trim panel around the shifter. Open the ashtray and pull up firmly on the trim. It is metal backed. Then you can see the shifter connection and check for movement there. If I have left something out someone please correct me
That is what I did and moved the plastic piece that slides along the right side until it went into drive. I had to move the shifter over to the 3,4 5 side to do that, but at least I can drive the animal and avoid home type towing or screwing around with a tow truck at all.

Did not need to open the ash tray. I have a plastic splunge for that purpose and it was easy enough to pop off. Have done it several times before just to detail the car.

Thanks

Tom

Old 07-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
That is what I did and moved the plastic piece that slides along the right side until it went into drive. I had to move the shifter over to the 3,4 5 side to do that, but at least I can drive the animal and avoid home type towing or screwing around with a tow truck at all.

Did not need to open the ash tray. I have a plastic splunge for that purpose and it was easy enough to pop off. Have done it several times before just to detail the car.

Thanks

Tom
glad I could help...and yeah towing one of these cars kinda puts a frown or your face..even for free with aaa

Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Problem solved. Took it to a guy with a lift- put the old screw back in and tightened the one there and put on some loctite. Cost was only $25.

The only thing that is different is that without my foot on the brake I can move from park to other gears and and while I get the fast beeping type of sound to tell me that I am out of park, I seemed to remember that it would not physically allow me to move it out of park. What is correct and this happens whether I have the key in or out and the car on or off. It is not a big problem for me- but it is a slight safety feature so what gives and how to repair if it needs to be.

Tom in Plano