S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with MAP sensor location and replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Help with MAP sensor location and replacement....

I did a lot of digging up on this PO105 for the S type, and only found one thread to have any info on it. Can someone please share some insight on how to replace the MAP sensor on my 03' STR with 94k miles on it. My check engine light came on and hooked it up to the scanner and got the code. I hear its a pain in the **** to replace. Would this be a DIY job or am I better off taking it to the indy jag shop and have em do it. Any info on the procedure would be grately appreciated with some concocted beer

Ohh one more thing I'm assuming i ruptured the diaphragm in the MAP, b/c when I floored it a few days ago I heard a loud pop sound like a backfire then my check engine light came on; went home and reseted it and now today it popped right back on, so most likely cleaning it won't help i'll need to replace.

Attached Thumbnails Help with MAP sensor location and replacement....-photo.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 09-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

...Sooo no one on this forum has changed out their V8 S type Supercharged or non Supercharged MAP sensor?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Allow a bit more time for a response. For whatever reason, several of the usual participants here in the S-Type section have not been active on the forum during the past week or so. Could be end-of-summer vacations....

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (09-19-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, I changed mine out when I had the blower out. Nothing was wrong with it, except for the fact I broke it somehow taking everything apart! It is a pain to get to. It is all nice and tightly tucked in at the back of the lower intake elbow (the part under the throttle body). It`s screwed in there so you can`t just pop it out, as far as I could tell the only way to get it out would be to take everything apart and take the elbow out. The blower itself wouldn`t have to be removed, just everything up to blower removal! Now, if it were me I would just do it myself, since I`ve already had everything apart and back together twice so it wouldn`t take long. But if you`ve never done it, it could take a while. I am also assuming that since everything has to come off, all the gaskets and seals need to be replaced as well. Now, I could be wrong about this and there is some easier way to get at it, but from what I saw, I think this is the only way to get to it.

jag79 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You won't get much help because it's a very rare problem. I am glad it is since it sounds like a real bear to change.

I had a similar failure with the fuel rail pressure sensor. Almost unheard of-so I just changed the sensor and it's fixed.

I think your number just came up on this one!

Please post back if you change it yourself. Good material for others.

jag79 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Well, I changed mine out when I had the blower out. Nothing was wrong with it, except for the fact I broke it somehow taking everything apart! It is a pain to get to. It is all nice and tightly tucked in at the back of the lower intake elbow (the part under the throttle body). It`s screwed in there so you can`t just pop it out, as far as I could tell the only way to get it out would be to take everything apart and take the elbow out. The blower itself wouldn`t have to be removed, just everything up to blower removal! Now, if it were me I would just do it myself, since I`ve already had everything apart and back together twice so it wouldn`t take long. But if you`ve never done it, it could take a while. I am also assuming that since everything has to come off, all the gaskets and seals need to be replaced as well. Now, I could be wrong about this and there is some easier way to get at it, but from what I saw, I think this is the only way to get to it.
Thanks for the input, but why do I have to change out the seals and gaskets assuming? I thought just the air intake tubing and the Plenum has to be removed to get access way back there to the MAP Sensor. Man this is seriously not good news

Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6
You won't get much help because it's a very rare problem. I am glad it is since it sounds like a real bear to change.

I had a similar failure with the fuel rail pressure sensor. Almost unheard of-so I just changed the sensor and it's fixed.

I think your number just came up on this one!

Please post back if you change it yourself. Good material for others.
Damm I thought it would just go away the first time resetting the MAP sensor code b/c it might have been dirty, but now its the 2nd time and for sure it needs to go. Hmmm...now I'm left with the daunting task of installing JTIS on my Windows64 pc to get it working with all that other crap to do to make it work properly. I think if I just follow along the steps and procedures on JTIS I should be fine, but yeah I'll keep this thread updated on the progress. Its going be the weekend till I can get to it though. Thanks for your help also. The part at the newly acquired Nalley Jaguar for forum members is $184 I saw the same Map sensor on Rockauto for $132.79, but theres another one on there for $89.79 in which I doubt is the right fit though or just the company is cheap.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...upercharged,ck[viewcurrency],USD,ck[idlist],0,ck[ID],0

Last edited by jag79; 09-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Upon second thought after reading your reply about all the gaskets, I went over the procedure again in my head. You are right that the intake/intake tube to the throttle body has to come off, then the throttle body. That will expose the lower intake elbow. That will have to come out as well to get at the MAP (unless there is some way to get at it without elbow removal). But, to remove the elbow you have to unbolt the EGR valve, which as you may known from mine and many others posts, is a real PITA, then unbolt the elbow from the blower. I believe this may be all that has to come out (unless I forgot something!), but that means a new throttle body and EGR gasket, and if the elbow comes out, a new elbow to blower gasket. Not that expensive actually. I got my MAP from rockauto. Don't remember which one, but it was the cheapest one (came to about $113 CDN with shipping) and it works just fine. I can dig up my bill for it if you like to see which one it was.
Also, if you do it yourself, just something to note. The screw that holds the MAP in place was completely solid and rusted in mine. I had to cut the old MAP housing off of it then grind the head so I could use vice grips to turn it out. I just replaced it with a new one from the hardware store. Forget the exact size, but was like a M6x15 or something. It's listed in the parts catalogue.