S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get running again - part needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help me get running again - part needed

I know we have a parts needed section, but I'm desperate.

I need a working or non-working 03-04 S type 4.2L engine wiring harness.
I only really need the ECM plug, wiring, and terminal connectors.

Please send me a private message.

Thanks in adance.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 PM

Here's a photo showing the reason my O2 sensor doesn't register - Two broken wires directly connected to the non-registering sensor -
Hm, No wonder. Know anyone with a used harness no longer being used ?

Attached Thumbnails Help me get running again - part needed-ecm-plug.jpg  

Last edited by ttwotees; 12-02-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Any chance at soldering some short jumpers and repairing the harness? Or checking mouser electronics, and finding the empty plugs and repairing it? I might be able to source the plugs for you and blank pins if your interested

Old 12-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ttwotees
I know we have a parts needed section, but I'm desperate.

I need a working or non-working 03-04 S type 4.2L engine wiring harness.
I only really need the ECM plug, wiring, and terminal connectors.

Please send me a private message.

Thanks in adance.
Give this guy a message and see if he has it, he's selling a lot of parts off a STR like this one for example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...ht_2462wt_1167

...hope that helps you out

Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

You can probably repair it but if not then just make sure you get the right kind of harness from a wrecker as they kept changing with the car years and engine kinds (size, NA or SC). That looks like the 134-pin type, for the Denso PCM used in USA between about 2003 and 2005.

I'd repair, unless the insualtion is cracking off all over the place (which I doubt on that section as it shouldn't get hot).

Try to figure out a reason for the problem, as that location is most unusual in my limited experience (i.e. I've not seen it before on the jag forums).

Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Any chance at soldering some short jumpers and repairing the harness? Or checking mouser electronics, and finding the empty plugs and repairing it? I might be able to source the plugs for you and blank pins if your interested
Oooooo.... The competition......

If you go that route, I believe most of the connectors and terminals are Tyco...But would have to see the actual connector body and terminals to be sure...

you can also try www.powerandsignal.com

Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

Haha Jeff no competition here, that's were I was going to refer him. That's were we have sourced blank connectors to make harnesses for Mitsubishi EVO ECM to use in Mitsubishi eclipse's

Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Haha Jeff no competition here, that's were I was going to refer him. That's were we have sourced blank connectors to make harnesses for Mitsubishi EVO ECM to use in Mitsubishi eclipse's
By refering, do you mean Mouser or Power And Signal?

Actually, a bit of history... Power and Signal used to be exclusively Delphi parts but have since branched out to include Molex, Tyco and others.

A bit of politics that really can't be discussed over the internet...

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

mouser for the solder, ultra fine tip iron and heat shrink, powerandsignal for the empty connectors.

Mouser doesnt carry the empty automotive connectors. only a limited supply of molex and tyco.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Conventry West (Atlanta, Georgia) and Jaguar Heaven (California) are Jaguar salvage yards that may have the PCM harness. I recently purchased a passenger lower wishbone (control arm) from Conventry West ($275) vs one offered by Jaguar Heaven ($450).

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
You can probably repair it but if not then just make sure you get the right kind of harness from a wrecker as they kept changing with the car years and engine kinds (size, NA or SC). That looks like the 134-pin type, for the Denso PCM used in USA between about 2003 and 2005.

I'd repair, unless the insualtion is cracking off all over the place (which I doubt on that section as it shouldn't get hot).

Try to figure out a reason for the problem, as that location is most unusual in my limited experience (i.e. I've not seen it before on the jag forums).
Thanks for the suggestion, but we tried to solder the wire back into the tiny connector (it was pulled out), but no success. I have to obtain a used harness so we can remove the pin along with a length of wire to splice into my harness.
I know the length needs to remain the same to avoid a DTC. Actually I only need two pins and their associated wires (6" each would do nicely) Since I'm wishing, I would like to get the green and brown wires to keep the color scheme original.

Last edited by ttwotees; 12-02-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: poor sentence structure
Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 PM

When reinstalling my engine, a helper decided to pound the wiring harness into place
and thus the damage. Otherwise I also don't see how this could happen. What can I say? (You just can't get good help these days)

Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member

I expect they're crimped. If so, you can buy the uncrimped pins and a crimping tool at electrical places such as Radio Shack (does it still exist?). Practice on spare wire as you want good crimps.

Or - the pins look the same size on many PCMs. The connectors I've messed with were fairly easy to take apart (they unclip) so you can grab some wires with pins/etc out of any scrap harness.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Veteran member

I expect they're crimped. If so, you can buy the uncrimped pins and a crimping tool at electrical places such as Radio Shack (does it still exist?). Practice on spare wire as you want good crimps.

Or - the pins look the same size on many PCMs. The connectors I've messed with were fairly easy to take apart (they unclip) so you can grab some wires with pins/etc out of any scrap harness.
That is really not possible...May get lucky, but doubtful. My previous post regarding my workplace Power And Signal is only somewhat silly. We are global suppliers to transportation manufacturers and engineering consultants to OEM's. There is a whole industry built around connection systems. Some examples... The terminal pins that fit in say a Delphi connector body will not fit in one made by Amphenol, Molex, or Tyco (To name a few). There are many, many specs and differences in parts, including something as simple as the pins. Also, they are "mated" to the connector body in various ways and in almost all cases require proprietary pin tools and crimps (yes we sell those as well but most of our customers use automated tools to produce the assemblies). We have thousands of part numbers for terminals alone. The other frustrating thing is the OEM's don't spec all the same brand or family in many of their harnesses.. For example, Delphi builds harnesses for GM cars, and they actually buy the Non-Delphi content from us! So, even though Delphi is the old GM, GM doesn't even use only Delphi connection systems in their cars. Same goes for all the rest. I could really go on and on about the industry, but I'll stop here.

As I see it, the best option for "ttwotees" is to either get with a friendly Jaguar Parts department manager and try to find out exactly what connector and terminal setup was used in the harness and try to source replacements. From what limited knowledge I have, I don't know who made that connector, but I can tap some engineers here if given a hint. And may be able to help with a cost effective buying solution. I've looked at the throttle body connectors before (because of the water issues talked about here) and from what I can tell of the numbers stamped on mine it is a Tyco connector. That however is no indication of what is used for the PCM.

The other solution is to source an entire connector with pins and wire attached.. If it was me, I would be searching on www.car-part.com for someone who was listing various mechanical parts for my year / engine car and start making phone calls to see if they could cut a harness for me.. (I actually did that when I installed power seats in one of my Honda's and after a few calls found someone who would do it for less than $30).

Sorry it is long winded but hope it helps....

Old 12-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

I did say at post #5 about a wrecker

Otherwise, for sure you'd have to get the right crimp part. It's what I'd do if I couldn't go the wrecker route (can't think of any reason why not to go that way, though).

In the photo it looks like they already have the connector apart and that no special tool would be needed to remove & replace a wire with its (crimped) pin. If that's the case, any harness from that era S-Type (so it uses the same PCM) would do. $30 or less, I'd say (I got something similar for under $20).

The electrical guide for 2002.5MY (2003 USA) after VIN M45254 shows that the PCM connector pinout is essentially the same regardless of V6 / V8 (NA or SC). They MAY have changed with 2004.5MY (2005 in USA) after VIN N13088, but it looks like only the diesel was different. They're different at 2006 after VIN N52047, I think.

You are of course right in the general situation, where special tools etc are needed

Last edited by JagV8; 12-03-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

I suggested ttwotees to contact salvage yards (even listed a few). They can cut out the entire pcm connector, etc.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Very true. We're all agreed on it, must be a record

Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! Hey jagv8, yas celebrate Thanksgiving over there to celebrate gittin rid of the pilgrims?