Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed ASAP - Potentially buying a 2000 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Lightbulb Help needed ASAP - Potentially buying a 2000 S-Type

The short version:

Potentially buying a 2000 S-type with 85k miles on the clock. The guy asked for 5,600 but I'm getting him to consider 4,000. Is this a bad price?

What are common problems or trouble areas to check out/look for?

At 86,000 miles, assuming I maintain the vehicle properly how long would you guys think it'll keep going? (Never seen winters, never will)

Is the 4.0 reliable?

The long version:

Hey all,

I'm a regular over on the X350 side of the forum and a big DIY'er, I do most all of my own repairs and maintenance, I own and am familiar IDS\SDD, and I know my way around the X350's pretty well.

Recently my girlfriends truck finally took its last dive and is no longer worth repairing, with the amount of money and effort that needs to go into it just to have it run maybe another 20k just doesn't make sense any more so we're looking for a new vehicle for her.

She's recently caught the Jag bug (I can thank myself for that) as she's been spending more time in my car and really learning to like it, and yesterday we were driving back home and saw a 2000 S-Type for sale in what appeared to be pretty good condition, the leather was a bit worn but everything else looked great.

I've been speaking with the owner to get some more info on it and it turns out it's only been a 2 owner car (Guy selling is the 2nd owner) and the vehicle came from Texas. It's never seen winter and has always been garaged, which for me in Illinois is an amazing thing to hear.

It's a Model Year 2000 with 85,460 on the Odometer, he has a full service history and from the looks of it has been maintained well. He's always had the maintenance done at proper intervals and had a good mechanic to look after the vehicle.

My concern is longevity though, I know it won't last 20 years or anything but I also don't want to recommend she buy something that will be broken or in need of extremely expensive repairs within 1,000 miles.

I'm very familiar with the x350 and I know what to look out for, but I know that the 4.0 Liter was a bit different and I'm sure it has it's own quirks so I'm reaching out to you S-Type pro's hoping you could give me a list of common trouble areas to look out for. I know it's a broad and probably vague question, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Old 05-05-2015, 11:57 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Before anything else, check to see that the cam chain tensioners have been changed.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
'08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition"

Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 PM

Thank you Pab, if they have not been, what kind of cost/miserable weekend am I looking at to change them?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

That is a high price for an old car. A car dealer only offered $3000 for my 2005 STR. And it's almost perfect.

Any chance you could get a 2003 and up model? You will avoid a lot of head aches.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a 2000 S-type. Find a newer one with a 4.2L or V6 engine. Specifically, if they can't prove that the timing chains and tensioners have been replaced, walk away.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Thank you all for the advice, The KBB value of the car was only $2,500 but I never trust that too much.

I'd certainly prefer her to get a newer one with the 4.2 as I'm much more familiar with them and as far as I know they're much better in terms of reliablility.

The problem is just time and budget at this point, she doesn't have an awful lot to spend and with me going out of town next week / her truck being dead, she won't have a way to and from work which is why we were looking at the first few options available.

I was going to go take a look at the car today around 4:30, maybe I'll let her test drive it and if it's something she really loves we can look for an 04+ model for a bit more money.

She was really just looking for something to get her to work for now, and while looking at "beaters" she saw a nice looking Jag so we figured it'd be worth a shot. I must admit that I probably got a bit gun-ho at the idea of her and I both driving Jags, cause' that's a beautiful picture in my mind. LOL

Old 05-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

As previously advised, if you are determined to purchase an S-Type stick with the 2003-and-newer models. The newer the better. As the model years rolled by, numerous issues with the previous models were addressed and corrected by Jaguar. They all have design flaws but the newer models have far fewer of them. You'll be much better off in the long run if you stick with a newer model....

Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I wouldn't bother with it if it were my money. You should be able to get 2004 or later for that amount of money. It may take a while though. As mentioned if the cam tensioners and water pump haven't been changed run away.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:47 PM

And this is why I love this forum, nowhere else will you find so many intelligent people willing to help. Infact I've seen few car forums with intelligent people at all LOL.

Thanks again everyone, we'll steer clear of this one and just take it out for a test drive to see if she likes the feel of it. In the meantime I'll be looking for an 04+ and trying to get the truck running for at least a few more weeks.

Last edited by Revonok; 05-05-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I'm with the others look for a '03+ model and skip most of the headaches.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts

"Potentially buying a 2000 S-type with 85k miles on the clock. The guy asked for 5,600 but I'm getting him to consider 4,000. Is this a bad price?

What are common problems or trouble areas to check out/look for?

At 86,000 miles, assuming I maintain the vehicle properly how long would you guys think it'll keep going? (Never seen winters, never will)

Is the 4.0 reliable? "

I am one of those who bought a 2000 S not knowing about tensioners, etc. I bought the car because of the like new condition (44520 miles). After I purchased it, I took for an inspection. They found nothing in the drive train at all. I am up to 49509 miles and have no issues. I have done some upgrades and restoration, but the price was good so I had a little extra to work with. The car has ZERO leaks anywhere and never had any codes.

Upgrades: New Brakes/rotors, coolant recovery tank, headliner, reconditioned all leather, new lugs, air filter and fluid changes, new tires, a better grill, wipers, and extreme cleaning of all drains and rubber seals on the doors.

Since you already have a Jag, you should be able to really check it out. The NADA clean retail value is $6050, but you can buy in the $32-3800 range all day long. Good luck.

Last edited by davidladewig; 05-06-2015 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Revonok (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

I see 2000 models go for $3,000 on Craigslist with only 10,000 more miles on the ODO. Seems like a lot of folks let 1st gen S-Types go at or near the 100k mile mark. Check the coolant recovery tank for leaks - another area fixed in later models. Look at suspension bushings for wear and dry rot.

If you're looking for a "shuttlecraft" to get to work in as a daily driver, you may want to consider a car with a 4 banger. My 4.0 averages 15.9 MPG on premium gas, which is creeping up in price again. And you already know that STs do not take well to bailing wire and duct tape repairs.

Last edited by Warspite; 05-06-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:33 AM

"If you're looking for a "shuttlecraft" to get to work in as a daily driver, you may want to consider a car with a 4 banger. My 4.0 averages 15.9 MPG on premium gas, which is creeping up in price again."

I've been checking my MPG since I got this car. In town, it is fair at 16.9 but on the interstate it is running about 23.8 @75 mph. I don't drive in heavy traffic, so mine might be a little higher than average. A slow down to 70 mph won't make enough difference to matter.

Here is a caution I've learned since I have looked for a second S Type. If the seller says it needs a "tune up", you might want to do your road runner act and run.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

Dave-
Or from Monty Python - "Run Away!" Reference to the ST's British origin. I wouldn't look at it unless I had a code reader handy.

On the other hand, any 10+ year-old luxury car should be met with the same skepticism. Like-year Cadillacs turn up with head gasket problems. Infiniti Q45s have the $800 "under the plenum" job awaiting the new owner. All have very expensive suspension work needed at 100K miles, which is usually the last straw for the previous owner. By the time we pick them up, they are at 10% of their original value! It all depends on what you're willing to spend.

There are no aftermarket bolt-ons for these cars. Good news is that OEM Jaguar parts are sometimes better than the original parts, since lessons were learned (Tensioners, recovery tanks, etc). That "Tune Up" may only be a spark plug, fuel filter, or a single coil on plug.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Well I went to take a better look and test drive it just to get her behind the wheel of one to see if it was something she may like, and unfortunately while it looked nice, It drove like a pile and was an instant red flag. I'm glad I came here first because I approached the vehicle knowing I wouldn't be buying it, but wow was I surprised to see what can happen to these cars when they're not appreciated the way they could be.

Humorously enough though, the guy selling it absolutely loved my car and offered to buy it from me LOL

I've found several 2004/05 S-Types with 60/70k or so on them that we're going to take a look at this weekend. The problem I'm facing is the lady in the equation; She's really picky but doesn't know much about cars, so I'm trying to take her "I want this" list and mesh it with my "This is practical" list. The Jags made it to that list because I know them well and would be happy to fix them.

I tried offering the idea of a 4 banger commute car, but she's not buying it. It's her money she's spending so she's gotta' be happy, but man oh man did I get myself into a headache inducing situation.

Again and as always though thank you all for the input and information.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM

"I tried offering the idea of a 4 banger commute car, but she's not buying it."

Did you really try the 4 banger thing? Say it ain't so! After looking at any Jag, what in the world would you look at with a 4 cylinder engine? A Corolla? VOMIT. Find a Jag and stay happy/married or both.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:38 AM

"Or from Monty Python - "Run Away!" Reference to the ST's British origin. I wouldn't look at it unless I had a code reader handy."

Good one. Every auto parts shop within 50 miles of me will read your car for FREE. Mine has none.