Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on OBDii/EOBD tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help on OBDii/EOBD tools

Hello Members

(Admin -may want to move to general forum as believe applies to all)

I am looking at OBD diag and remapping tools for 2005 S-type 2.7tdi but thread probably applies to all makes to some degree.

OBD thread probably too long so remapping to follow as linked thread etc.

Have checked forum Gen/model + wider www search and results vary from 2-8years old. hence post.

From a Computer/Networking/Telecoms background I understand as follows:

Background before questions
  1. Basically OBDii = EOBD (US vs Europe spec) where as EOBD2 is Enhance spec and manufacturer/model specific
  2. Early diag tools pre-OBD, vary and are vendor specific, but *ODB & OBDii standards unify this to common standard.
  3. *These latter standards (assumed) are based around IP protocal - Communication layer - wired/USB/Bluetooth/wireless etc.
  4. Assuming based on IP, then the 7 layer OSI model should apply, but put simply:
    1. the physical interface (wire and whatever socket type)
  5. Handheld vs Iphone/Android vs Laptop - consider the same. i.e they are processing units that with the right app, can interpret data sent by the cars ECU. You pay less for a bluetooth/wireless/USB connection type than a dedicated Handheld because you already have the processing unit etc.
Questions

1. Have seen very cheap Bluetooth/wifi dongles with s/w from £5-£10. reviews state: Claim Elm v1.4 or 1.5 but tend to be V1.1 standard. Given above background then physical connection and communication between ECU and device should be somewhat transparent and issue falls to application.
    • i.e seen Jaguar scanner at £1200 for laptop with USB and S/W. Ergo S/W must be the difference.
  2. Have checked VGate products (Chinese) but look proper rather than knock off - any experience out there?

I think you may have got my point by now i.e. if the ECU communicates to device of choice then what should be the very simplest of tasks to transfer data and codes should be a given????

Sorry for V-Long post but simple X vs Y product mentions don't do it, given the above.

Finally, not after Gadget products/software that shows flashy dial screens (skirt lifting) but no real info. Looking to find and solve problems etc

again - long post - sorry
Thx Paul

Old 03-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

No IP.

Just read the existing threads here and in General Tech as far more info and accurate at that is there.

Also see the Cloned dealer scan tool thread. You can download the manuals if you choose and have lots of spare time.

Last edited by JagV8; 03-10-2014 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gimby (03-11-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Yes. Forget about any remapping software.

Any cheap ELM327 will do. I have seen the different versions like V1.4 and I did get the highest one I could find. Which I think was V1.5 and it does look like V2.0 is out now.

Then pick the software you like. I run Scan XL on an old laptop. As you will find out there are special packages to read brand specific codes. I picked Ford and it does pretty good.

Yes the Bluetooth will also work and is cleaner to use. So far I have stayed with wired version and added a right angle adapter to get the cable away from my feet. I have not needed to use it very much yet so not a big problem for now.

If you are interested here is some in depth explanations.
Elm Electronics Help - OBD Circuit Tips

The following 2 users liked this post by tbird6:
Gimby (03-11-2014), real22uu (08-15-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for post, will investigate further

Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimby
Hello Members ............
Welcome to the forum Paul,

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham