Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with STR Coolant Hose Part Number

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Help with STR Coolant Hose Part Number

Hello everyone,

Today I was driving my STR and noticed when I had parked up that coolant was leaking out of the car and smoke coming from the engine bay. I opened up the bonnet and found that the hose which connects to the right charge cooler and goes underneath the intake pipe towards the coolant tank had cracked and was shooting coolant everywhere. I then got a Engine Coolant Low warning message although the temp gauge was fine.

I have attached a labelled picture of the hose I'm referring to. Would anyone know a part number for this hose?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Help with STR Coolant Hose Part Number-coolant-hose.jpg  
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

No, but the parts thing (JEPC) is a free download plus there are a ton of online sites you can find the hose on.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Thanks! Unfortunately I couldn't get JEPC to work on my computer but I found the part required using the SNG Barratt Parts Catalogue. It is XR837410 Intercooler Inlet Hose I believe.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

The hose identified by arrows in your photo appears to be the inlet hose for coolant, which has a part number that is VIN-specific.

Depending on the VIN of your vehicle, the part number can be XR837410 or XR852860.

+1 on downloading and installing JEPC so you can find part numbers.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-11-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 AM

I did check my VIN to be certain and I did require the XR837410 on my 2004 STR. Unfortunately you can not buy the individual hose I pointed out though so I had to buy the other two connected hoses which should make fitting a bit trickier as one is clearly connected to the other chargecooler but the other side leads off towards the intercooler pump. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

The hoses come pre-assembled, so you must drain the cooling system to replace the inlet hose.

You may want to also consider changing the coolant return hose as well, which carries a part number of XR841497. Often when one hose ruptures, the others are not far behind.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-11-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

At this late date you need to change all 18-20 cooling hoses or you will be doing it one at a time!

We have several good threads with pictures and part numbers. Not a bad job but it takes a while and I would do some other things a well.

Has the DCCV been changed?
Thermostat?
Coolant flush and refill?

The following 2 users liked this post by tbird6:
NBCat (08-10-2015), Panthro (10-26-2016)
Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
The hoses come pre-assembled, so you must drain the cooling system to replace the inlet hose.

You may want to also consider changing the coolant return hose as well, which carries a part number of XR841497. Often when one hose ruptures, the others are not far behind.
Thanks for the advice, draining the system won't be a problem as the burst hose has taken care of that job nicely! The hose is due to arrive tomorrow so will hopefully have the car back on the road thursday

Old 08-11-2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
At this late date you need to change all 18-20 cooling hoses or you will be doing it one at a time!

We have several good threads with pictures and part numbers. Not a bad job but it takes a while and I would do some other things a well.

Has the DCCV been changed?
Thermostat?
Coolant flush and refill?
DCCV has been changed in the past, coolant will need to be refilled as there's none in the tank anymore! Would you recommend the thermostat be replaced? I was thinking about installing a low-temp one, any benefits you think? I'd also like to install a better coolant pump in a few months to reduce pressure on the coolant system.

I don't think I will be able to change all of the coolant hoses right now as the priority is to get the car back on the road. After that I will slowly start doing more preventative maintenance.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

It's just time. The hoses are old and caused the only break down I have ever had with my STR and it was still not a break down. Got a low coolant light twice in a week. Both times one coolant hose got just a pin hole leak.

After that I decided to replace the other hoses before it turn into a break down somewhere.

The thermostat is just because you are in there. I have changed mine once and the old one seemed to be good.

Stay away from the low temp ones. No need and it can screw with the engine management system if it thinks the car is not fully up to temperature. Never seen a power gain.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

A "better" pump? It's not going to reduce pressure.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:15 PM

It's just time. The hoses are old and caused the only break down I have ever had with my STR and it was still not a break down. Got a low coolant light twice in a week. Both times one coolant hose got just a pin hole leak.

After that I decided to replace the other hoses before it turn into a break down somewhere.

The thermostat is just because you are in there. I have changed mine once and the old one seemed to be good.

Stay away from the low temp ones. No need and it can screw with the engine management system if it thinks the car is not fully up to temperature. Never seen a power gain.
Cool, will look to order a new OEM spec t-stat as well then. They seem cheap enough so may as well while I'm there.

It's funny you mention that as I bought my STR back in July 2013 with 60k miles and this is the first problem I have encountered. It was probably more my own fault than my car's too as the day it burst was very hot and I had been driving quite hard on the motorway for an extended period in sport mode which kept the revs high and obviously pushed the coolant system beyond its limit. Also, it was my installation of the intake which exacerbated the problem as the crack on the hose is right beneath where the intake was pinching the hose. When the new hose goes on I will ensure that it is not directly being pressed by my hot stainless steel intake pipe

Old 08-11-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
A "better" pump? It's not going to reduce pressure.
Sorry, maybe 'higher-flowing' is a more technical choice of words. If a more powerful pump was installed wouldn't temps be reduced by circulating the coolant faster thereby reducing the chance of pressure building and one going POP?

Old 08-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JagSTR2004
...When the new hose goes on I will ensure that it is not directly being pressed by my hot stainless steel intake pipe
Here's what I did - some said "great", some said "not great", but all agreed that the insulation would help reduce the IAT, and maybe give a small increase in power. Also protect your hose from the hot metal.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ts-qwiketz.jpg

Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagSTR2004
Sorry, maybe 'higher-flowing' is a more technical choice of words. If a more powerful pump was installed wouldn't temps be reduced by circulating the coolant faster thereby reducing the chance of pressure building and one going POP?
Not unless you change the software in the PCM. It knows what temp it wants ECT to show and adjusts things like the fans to do it.

For more power, use a better intercooler system as that will reduce IAT2.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

The stock cooling system for the STR is plenty good. I am in 100+ days with full AC on and never have any problem with over heating. I drive it pretty hard too.

Heat soak is my biggest problem so look at improving the intercoolers if anything!

You only get into problems when the system is not working right.

Now we did have a big long drawn out thread on different coolants and if you want to experiment it looks like Evans waterless coolant might be useful.

I just stick with the factory Dex-cool.

Last edited by tbird6; 08-12-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:00 AM

The stock cooling system for the STR is plenty good. I am in 100+ days with full AC on and never have any problem with over heating. I drive it pretty hard too.

Heat soak is my biggest problem so look at improving the intercoolers if anything!

You only get into problems when the system is not working right.

Now we did have a big long drawn out thread on different coolants and if you want to experiment it looks like Evans waterless coolant might be useful.

I just stick with the factory Dex-cool.
The car is going in to the garage later this afternoon as the hose only arrived today. The mechanic I'm using is an ex-Jaguar one who only works on Jaguars so I trust I'll be on safe hands with whatever he chooses to use. Will let you all know what the conclusion is with my first problem the STR has given me.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 AM

Picked up the car today and all is well again, new hose fitted and coolant flushed completely and refilled. Now I just need to get the alignment done as I had the bushes replaced last week and the car is pulling to the left. Thanks for helping with the part number NBCat!