S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELP - Transmission issues

So this morning I was sitting in line at that freeway entrance and felt a slight jerk with my foot on the brake. I thought my foot slipped off the brake, but then I felt it again, another jerk (like a slip and engage). Then it got worse, more frequent as I was sitting there. Then the lights come on, gear box fault.

Then she starts to shake, and trying to engage in gear as it would seem. I kept in neutral as long as I could then limped home in restricted performance mode.

There are two shops near me and I just don't know which one to go to; should I call them and see if either one of them has done S-Type tranny rebuilds?

I would really love some comfort here, like everything will be okay...but I'm sensing $$. Car was a 1 owner and I currently have 45k miles on it, purchased it with 43k and I don't drive it hard at all.

Please help.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You might be OK.

Have you ever had the fluid level checked? Start with that.

When they check the level see if they will put a drop of the old fluid on a white towel. Take a picture of that and post it.

Your post was incomplete and we are all just guessing on the internet here.

Has the transmission been acting OK before this?

Have you searched on the "Lurch"? Read that web page and see if it matches what your transmission is doing.

So don't give up hope yet!!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Sorry Tbird6, let me know what else I can provide. Transmission was acting fine before this, no lurch issues, no hard shifts, nothing that would have indicated any issues. I'm familiar with the lurch, my previous 2003 STR had the issue when cold. My present STR did not have this issue. I'll get it to the shop tomorrow and ask that they save me some of the tranny fluid and will take a pic of it. Thanks for your help and let me know what other info you need.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

Failing batteries have also been known to cause intermittent transmission issues. These cars consume massive amounts of battery power so if your battery is on its way out, this could be one of many ways your car decides to tell you....

Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Any of the above - worth checking for OBD codes for clues.

Don't panic and don't even assume it's the trans.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM

Well I have taken her to the indy, let's see what they come back with tomorrow. I came back after letting her sit all day and the gear box fault was gone and it was running fine, put it in reverse no problems. Then when I put it drive it was fine for a second and then started doing the same things as before. I limped it over to the shop...They said they know about the batter issue causing faults, they didn't think it was low tranny fluid but they weren't sure. He sounded positive about it saying it's likely something else with that low of miles on it and the fact that there no previous signs of any issues.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member

Make sure to (you or them) check the 2 bolts on the trans side that keep the shifter cable attached. Been known to work loose and even fall out.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM

It's not looking good, the shop called and said they are still chasing down a few items, reflash, codes between the ECM and the transmission, but they are leaning towards the transmission. It's slipping and clunking extremely bad.

I just don't understand why it would happen suddenly and no warning. I haven't driven the car hard at all. No hard shifting or anything.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

They don't seem like they know the cars. Find somewhere better or DIY.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM

Ok they are not condemning the transmission yet, but they replaced the battery cleared the codes and it's still doing it. They are getting a TCM to the ECM code P1643 (CAN) I believe and they can't determine what is causing it. The fluid is fine and they are perplexed at why a trans with 45k miles would do this.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

Aha. That means the PCM and TCM can't properly chat and co-ordinate gear changes due to a wiring fault.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

+1

I note a case experienced and reported on a UK Forum thread (by Victor) - severe gearbox malfunction finally nailed as a chaffing of wring on chassis - perhaps CanBus?

Keep searching. Cheers.

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 01-30-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

That's very interesting!!

Can you post a link?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Victor is a fairly recent in a few over many years (including a test STR with a chafed harness) going back to member eldudereno and probably beyond. They're quite rare and I think all within a (not known but shortish?) VIN range. I really would not assume it's that fault because it probably isn't. Be aware that Victor's appears to have been an autobox damaged by the diesel cooler fault (leaks coolant into autobox via its cooler lines). This fault ONLY applies to diesels (faulty cooler).

Old 01-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

I acknowledge each of your points JagV8, but if you have narrowed the fault down to a wiring issue between ECM and TCM - which I agree is a logical conclusion - then it's also logical that the cause is either a connector issue (easy to check) or within the wiring loom between the two.

Perhaps case of Victor, and other you note, is irrelevant, but again, easy to check end-to-end continuity of wiring and (importantly) any intermittent to ground. What struck me was the similarity of symptoms reported by michaelz and that diagnosed in the case I quoted - then confirmed - and the fix that was reported as solving problem permanently.

Looking forward to your resolution, michaelz.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 PM

Update - shop replaced 2 coils (used units) and 2 new plugs, cleared all codes, reflashed the tranny with the latest software and that seems to have resolved the issues. They are putting new coils in tomorrow, and I'll pick it up and drive it. They did recommend replacing all 8 coils and plugs, Total out the door with new battery would have been $2500. However, I told them let's see what happens with the 2 new coils and see if it works fine. Then later I can replace the other 6. Any thoughts on this; should I have gone for all?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

Waste of money changing the plugs. I wouldn't change more coils at your mileage without a good reason, which I don't see here.

If that CAN fault comes back then wiring needs investigation.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

+1 what he said ... BUT ... Michael,

... can I add a couple of other things onto your bill with them ...
... like, a very nice STR I have my eye on, and my wife wants an F-Type ...

Good grief Charlie Brown ... clearing all codes followed by reflash trans was a good move. Better still would have been to then stop and check, before moving into replacing unrelated items. But then, perhaps there was more going on here than you realized.

Best wishes.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 PM

Sure thing, np I'd love the F-Type as well so how about two of them.

I agree I think they were shooting in the dark to a degree. With respect to the battery, it was 10 years old and so are the plugs and everything else

So they did replace all plugs but just the two coils that were affected.

And now she's got a new battery and plugs, maybe a new lease on life.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelz
Sure thing, np I'd love the F-Type as well so how about two of them.

I agree I think they were shooting in the dark to a degree. With respect to the battery, it was 10 years old and so are the plugs and everything else

So they did replace all plugs but just the two coils that were affected.

And now she's got a new battery and plugs, maybe a new lease on life.
How did your tranny end up?
I'm having the same symptons.
Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: HELP - Transmission issues