Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hibernation Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Hibernation Time

Well my friends, this past weekend the STR went into the garage for winter hibernation. I'm already in deep supercharger whine withdrawl. I added a supercharger ring tone to my phone just to get a fix here and there.

Gave her a good wash and wax. I have some tar spots to remove along the side sills, good winter project. Apparently I drove through a recently oiled road, since there is tar splatter all along the bottom sill. Pissed! I'll be buffing and maybe a little bit of color sanding come springtime.

But I digress....Put the battery on the Battery Tender, filled the gas tank up, a dab of Sta-bil in the gas. Tires at proper psi all the way around. Threw some desicant packs inside to absorb any moisture (garage is not heated).

Gave the interior a good scrub and cleaned/conditioned the leather.

The Rover is down, I have to finish replacing the transfer case, so I'm driving my Jeep, which is geared/modified mostly for off-road duty. I did install leather heated front seats in it just to make life a little better. The handling with the lift kit is, uh, interesting as always. But that thing is unstoppable and i don't care about damaging it in the least. It does have a Borla header and Borla stainless exhaust, so I do get some good sounds, but alas, STR it's not.

Hopefully, by mid-March the STR will be prowling Pittsburgh again....I can't wait!

This year was good though, last year the STR was parked by Thanksgiving. Thank you global warming! Anybody else have their Jag parked for the winter?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Well my friends, this past weekend the STR went into the garage for winter hibernation. I'm already in deep supercharger whine withdrawl. I added a supercharger ring tone to my phone just to get a fix here and there.

Gave her a good wash and wax. I have some tar spots to remove along the side sills, good winter project. Apparently I drove through a recently oiled road, since there is tar splatter all along the bottom sill. Pissed! I'll be buffing and maybe a little bit of color sanding come springtime.

But I digress....Put the battery on the Battery Tender, filled the gas tank up, a dab of Sta-bil in the gas. Tires at proper psi all the way around. Threw some desicant packs inside to absorb any moisture (garage is not heated).

Gave the interior a good scrub and cleaned/conditioned the leather.

The Rover is down, I have to finish replacing the transfer case, so I'm driving my Jeep, which is geared/modified mostly for off-road duty. I did install leather heated front seats in it just to make life a little better. The handling with the lift kit is, uh, interesting as always. But that thing is unstoppable and i don't care about damaging it in the least. It does have a Borla header and Borla stainless exhaust, so I do get some good sounds, but alas, STR it's not.

Hopefully, by mid-March the STR will be prowling Pittsburgh again....I can't wait!

This year was good though, last year the STR was parked by Thanksgiving. Thank you global warming! Anybody else have their Jag parked for the winter?
Sounds like it time to yank of the supercharger, get it ported, polished and plug the silencer ports...

Almost 60f here right now, by the way

Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Nighty night STR, have a good kip.

BTW, my XJ40 is parked up for the Winter, not snow, but too much mud.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 228 Posts

What is this winter you talk about?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Climb in the freezer for 5 mins and see! Then imagine it going on for a few months....

Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I parked mine as well, but I have since taken it out on a couple of clear, cold days. Which my hi-po summer tires aren't happy with.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Our S-Type never hibernates. But it stays parked safely at home when the roads are covered with snow or ice. We rely on my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD SUV whenever the winter weather hits. Thus far, winter has been unusually warm around here with no ice or snow although we did get down to 20 degrees Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. I despise warm winters since I'm basically a polar bear and would gladly take 10 degree temps all year round....

Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,288 Likes on 8,569 Posts

Apparently, we're not having winter here this year in SoCal. It's been the low 80's all week...........so far..no rest for the Jag...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

You guys are all welcome to send your STRs down here for a nice comfy winters sleep, sleep! I will personally see to that they get their legs stretched every week or better !

BTW no salt here!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Parked in a heated garage under its blanky since Nov 15 and won't see the road until March 15. Completely serviced and detailed before put to bed.

Driving my Ford Expedition which I'm considering installing a big screen and a bar in so when "she who must be obeyed" is not happy with me I can live in. Damn thing is big enough with 3 seating rows but no substitute for bulk with all the pillocks sliding around like bumper cars.

I hate snow/winter...

Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

I love cold temps...this winter has been really mild. I was kind of pushing it a bit the last few weeks driving the STR in the cold. Summer tires of course are not a great idea this time of year, but more so is the exposure to the road salt/rocks/whatever they throw on the roads around here is why I choose to park the STR.

If we get a break in the winter and some clear days and the road salt is washed off, I'll take her out for a nice long drive. I'm not a proponent of starting the car and moving it a bit or anything like that during storage, I'll only start it if I can drive it for at least a half hour or so.

But again, then I'm reminded how much more nice and comfy the STR interior is than my Jeep, and it makes it hard to put her away again!

Tempting thoughts Bacardi! I actually put that on my whiteboard in the garage as a possible winter project. Right now I have a Rover transfer case to rebuild, finish re-wiring a Yamaha quad, and try to get a late 40's Massey-Harris tractor to actually turn over and run. This is in addition to my normal home remodeling projects, which never cease, and taking care of my camp property in the mountains. Who knows though, maybe i'll get that charger off....

Sigh....I sure do miss it already. I think I'll be on YouTube tonight watching some STR clips. My wife thinks I'm a weirdo for sitting in the garage staring at the STR...but I can't help it!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Right now I have a Rover transfer case to rebuild, finish re-wiring a Yamaha quad, and try to get a late 40's Massey-Harris tractor to actually turn over and run. This is in addition to my normal home remodeling projects, which never cease, and taking care of my camp property in the mountains.
Maybe you would share some pics of the projects Chris, maybe breathe some fresh life to this old thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...section-37058/

My wife thinks I'm a weirdo for sitting in the garage staring at the STR...but I can't help it!
Ha!!! Joyce KNOWS I am a weirdo for sitting in the garage staring at our "granny mobile"!! Sometimes Joyce will even join me. Cheers

Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine's been in storage for about 2 months now. The battery is dead again since the tender became unplugged from the wall which sucks. I just don't have the drive to go over there and get it running until spring. Same situation with the Vette. Been driving my '98 STS beater, getting old fast!!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member

Just an update, she's still sitting in the garage, spotlessly clean. This winter has been so mild I am regretting even storing it at all this year. But I made an agreement with myself that if I stored it, it will stay stored until spring. I can't handle switching between my Jeep and the STR, it's just too hard to give up the STR for the Jeep if it snows.

I suppose I'm happy to save some wear and tear on it, as I plan on keeping it for a long time. But damn I miss that blower whine!!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hell Chris, waayyy back when I was about your age (actually I was in my early twenties), I had bought a 1984 Trans Am that I would store in the Ohio winters. My winter vehicle was a '82 GMC, 1 ton, dually full time 4x4, 7 1/2' x 10' flat bed. My buddies nicked named it Sherman as in M1 Tank, the thing was unstopable!

Man I loved that truck and was pretty sad when I laid it up for the summer time sleep!

Thanks for putting a smile on my mug thinkin' about the ole' days!!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Guys, Yep this has been a mild winter for sure. We have had the Jag out a couple times on nice dry days but just local.

Last Sat our Triumph Club did an outing to a parts supplier in Warren OH. I drove the TR8! This has always been a trip for the truck or station wagon but the weather was nice and the roads mostly rinsed clear of salt. The Jag would have been MUCH more comfortable and quiet but the owner had never seen my TR. Plus I would have to ask permission to take it.

This Sat is a whole different story. Winter is here right now but suposed to go away again by Monday.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Me and the Jag will be hitting up some roads today. Sunny with a high in the mid 50s....

Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Rick your truck sounds freakin' awesome! I'd love to have a mule like that right now for towing and such up to my camp near Erie. I tow with the Jeep but it's too small for heavy towing. (And subtract about 10 years from my age and you'll have mid twenties, but thanks anyway )

Jim, you are a warrior! Warren isn't exactly a short jaunt from your place. Jeez, next time man up and take the Harley huh? LOL...

Michael, I am calling you names right now under my breath. But I am glad you can enjoy your STR right now, I"m a little green about that!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summer storage in Florida

I thought I would give this site a shot on any good tips for storage of my 1999 XJ8 in my Florida garage for about 5 months this summer while I am away.I do the usual stuff (disconnect battery,clean car,inflate tires)but get conflicting info on how much gas to leave in tank.Also have problem in past with the humidity and heat causing interior lining to become unglued and fall loose.Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Keep the gas tank full to minimize condensation. Attach a battery tender (not trickle charger) to the battery and let it do it's thing. Leave the windows cracked for air circulation. Do what you can to keep the temperature and humidity levels as low and as stable as possible.