Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Make the HID bulb swaps a sticky?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I think thats a great idea!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice setup! Have you looked into HID kits for the Ford Mustang V6 or Focus? IIRC they have the same fog/driving lights.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aiming low beams

Originally Posted by plums
You might want to try a "precision" head light aim.

It is possible to do 70+ mph on low beams without over driving the lights if they are aimed just right.
Are there any instructions around on how this is done? I took my 1st night-time drive in the 'new' STR yesterday and ended up using the fog lamps for head lights.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

The STR's low beams are HID...Can they be adjusted?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out they are broken. I found Brutals quick fix and it worked great.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by STR-Snowbird
Turns out they are broken. I found Brutals quick fix and it worked great.
Just FYI / future reference there are two adjusters on the top of the headlights as well. You can fine tune them left and right up and down with a hex key...

Glad you got them fixed though. I had the same problem with my lights and the screw trick works great! I just replaced my headlights last months with brand new ones so hopefully I will get a few years out of these before I have to repair them again!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Default !!resolved!!

I FINALY DID IT!!

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to get HID foglights into my 03 STR. I have tried just about everything I could think of even went with LED bulbs for a bit but the output was less than optimal...

I really wanted to have an all white / blue - bright front end. I had installed some LED strips that were supposed to be water proof, I found out over the last few storms that we have had that wasnt the case and I was blowing fuses left and right on my fogs...

So today I took out my (at this point 5 part) HID conversion kit and went to work. The main issue was / has been that stupid "L" shaped bulb housing that holds the H1 bulb into place. You cant get the wires through it because its solid and meant for just a bulb alone, you cant get a stand alone HID bulb that will lock into place either...

I took the little plastic and metal lined (yes they have about 3 layers of metal in them) "L" shaped bulb connector and basically cut of the entire back of the connector making it essentially a donut I used only the outside bezel / ring and with a couple of small drops of super glue I glued the connector to my HID bulb. It is now a fully functional correct fitting and locking HID bulb.

I installed the ballasts with the help of some double sided tape and some zip ties to solid mounts under the bumper and wired the whole thing up. In wiring I cut off the old conenctors that used to go into the bulb holder and hard soldered the wires together. Wrapped them with some electrical tape and then covered the whole splice with a nice piece of heat shrink tubing.

All in all its a really clean, professional looking job but absolutely not one that I would want to take on again! I am hopefull the HID bulbs will last the remaining life of my car, since I am quite certain I would have to redo the whole process and remake those donut bulb retaininers... Maybe if I am still running the STR I will just look at replacing the entire fog light housing with something that will accept an H11 bulb or the like...

Seth, if you want to follow suite on this one be prepared my friend it took me the better part of the day with fabrication, wiring, cutting, and some racked knuckles!!

On a scale of 1-10 ten with 10 being the biggest PITA, I would have to rate this at a solid 6/7 just due to the fabrication required for the stupid bulb holder. Anyone interesetd in doing this conversion / upgrade just be patient and have some good tools and lighting at your disposal!

Now on to the next project, anyone have any advice on powerfolding mirrors for the S Type? I gotta have something better than this manual process for folding my mirrors in, the guys at the carwash just about break my mirrors off every time I go in...

-Cheers!

Last edited by cbharley10; 03-10-2013 at 03:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Holy cow Chris! You must be on a mission from g-d to go through all that. My therapist forbids me from such tasks as it may initiate my advanced schizophrenic narcassitic rage with delusions of grandeure. I'm also not satisfied with the low output of the LED's presently in the fogs. Your HID project seems too much for me, so would be put in the hands of an installer. Can you list the parts and their cost?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Holy cow Chris! You must be on a mission from g-d to go through all that. My therapist forbids me from such tasks as it may initiate my advanced schizophrenic narcassitic rage with delusions of grandeure. I'm also not satisfied with the low output of the LED's presently in the fogs. Your HID project seems too much for me, so would be put in the hands of an installer. Can you list the parts and their cost?
LOL!!

Yeah what a way to spend a Sunday afternoon... The real issue is that bulb holder, there is just no way around it, you have to chop it up...

As far as whats needed, you will need a full HID conversion kit readily available on eBay. The one I purchased uses the full sized ballasts, but I am quite sure the slim ballast kits would work well too, probably be a bit easier to fit there is not alot of room back behind the fogs.

You will need the H7 bulbs with your kit to give you a nice flat base to glue whats left of your old bulb retainer. I am not kidding you when I say all that is left is a donut. I cut the complete back off the stock bulb socket and was really left with just a retaining ring.

HID Conversion Kit Slim or full size Ballasts
H7 HID bulbs
Heat Shrink Tubing
Soldering Iron and Solder
Double sided tape
Wire Ties
Super Glue
Stock Bulb Retainer
File to smooth out the back of the socket
Drill
Needle Nose Pliers

I was shooting from the hip all day and didnt think to take good pictures along the way, sorry guys... I however, will attach a completed shot for you to see what it looks like now...

Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Dunno Chris. I may just glue blue film on the front of the fogs' lenses and pop in the stock bulb, LOL!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM

I suppose you could do that... But wait until you see the photos of the finished work, total PITA but man... It really looks good, crisp clean bright 8000K HID light!!