Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HID Headlight Intermittent

I have a problem with my passenger side headlight and thought I would check with you guys before I pull it out and look around. It seems like a loose connection, I just don't know where it would be. I've had the lights apart before to chenge the bulbs and am familiar with all of the parts.

The bulb doesn't come on at all a lot of the time. When it does come on it flickers every time I go over a bump. The bulbs are pretty new and if I turn them on while the car is parked the work fine, so I don't think the bulbs are the problem.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Swap ballasts, easiest way to determine if it is that part. Otherwise, its a wiring/connection issue. Your HIDs are stock, correct?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah they're stock.. I feel like the ballast are okay because a good whack on the light makes them turn back on. I just don't know where in the light the bad connection could be?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try swapping the bulbs left to right to see if it switches sides. I had a problem with one of mine and found out that it was the bulb even though they were new. It may be a loose filament inside the glass that is ok when there is no vibration.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

also verify the fuse is not particularly loose in the fuse box. Sometimes you get a fuse that may be just a hair loose causing a rise in resistance which could cause this. However unlikely it is, it could be possible. Also do a check on the ground stud under the hood, it may be working itself loose also. I'm beginning to see how important the multiple grounding in these cars are, one little ground issue, and multiple things start acting silly. I just had a guy with a land rovver call me asking me about some weird issues he was having, nothing made sense until he said that the map lights ( not interior lights) werent working. Found out that someone pinched a wire under the headliner when they ran a satellite antenna.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Good suggestions.. I like a fresh perspective on these kind of situations because I always overlook ideas like these.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Having a similar problem with the STR. Pulled up behind a black SUV today and realized the passenger HID light was out. Got ready to hit the forum when I got home before calling jag parts. Went outside to look at it when I got home and it was working?? Two hours later went out to run an errand ..... and it was out again. Before I go crazy tomorrow, anyone been down this road???? Haven't been under the hood (i.e. bonnet) lately but got caught in an epic rainstorm last night on the way home. Thanks guys......Eric

Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Hey edi, i'd start with the suggestions above, and if you still have an issue, come back and give us a rundown on what you've tried, and any more symptoms and details on how/when it either goes out, or back on. Like, is it affected only after you hit a bump, does it light every start, then go out during the drive?

keep us updated!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Ok started looking at this today and it became pretty clear pretty quickly that I need to drop the bumper to be able to access nearly anything? I was able to unplug the harness and clean connections, and unscrew the rear cover to the HID bulb (which I dropped and took 15 minutes with a coathanger to retrieve of course). Checked periodically to see if anything I was messing with made the light flicker on to identify the problem but nothing. Can you guys confirm the bumper has to come off? Also theres high-voltage stickers all over the place....disconnect the battery before digging into this? Thanks very much

Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

I think the ballast (ignitor) would be the first item I would tackle, swap with the other side and see if the problem moves over there.

You should be able to access it thru fenderwell lining...did you try there first? (im speaking to my own experience, i don't even know for sure the s-type has the access thru the fender like the xks do. )

Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Ok, after removing the entire frony bumper I was able to diagnose (by mix and matching the bulbs, ballasts and ignitors) that the passenger ballast is shot. Made some calls and of course, no local dealers have it in stock. First dealer wanted $295 which I thought wasnt too bad, second wanted $410 (go figure...sure they make a nice profit on it at $295). Also say a few e-bay versions but I really dont want to do this again in 3 months. Note that there are about 10 other vehicles that use this HELLA ballast (Chrysler Pacific, many BMW's, Mercedes, Audi, etc). I'm totally p-ssed that I had to put the g-damn car back together while I wait for the ballast but I coulnt leave the car in the work garage for a week while I'm out of town. Anyway, should only take half the time next go around (under 2 hours start to finish). Wonder what the stupid dealer would charge for this. It is a little disconcerning to see the car sans the entire front bumper with the hood up.....looks like I rear-ended a garbage truck or something.