S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Kit problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks- I'll see how it goes- I'm probably going to see if I can't fool around with it this weekend when I'm on spring break. It's been below 32 degrees all week so I'm trying to wait until it gets a bit warmer to fool around with it.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 PM

I'm on Spring Break now so I figured I'd try to get the install taken care of now that I have free time. I've taken care of the flicker issue, but I'm trying to eyeball how to get the bulbs in and still be able to take care of the wiring aspect. Has anyone installed an HID kit on an 03 S Type to kind of give me some advice?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

arent the bulbs (the HID ONES) already in?? what took care of the flickering?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Angry

Well I never installed once I ran into the flickering/turn signal situation appeared. I've got a bypass on it now. I figured out what I was doing wrong when I was installing though. The drivers side is in but the passenger side I'm waiting to do tomorrow when it gets warm. When I was going to clip the passenger side onto the bulb, the wire came off. =/ The wind was getting too cold for me to try to put it back into place, and my elephant size hands were starting to get a little shaky. When I tested it with both headlights in though, it was a bit more slow to light up, so I'm considering a relay when I get time to go back in there this summer. This summer though I was leaning more towards the HID headlights from an STR.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

03 S Type Why go to through the trouble of installing an aftermarket HID kit on your own? Just get it done professionally! It solves the hassle of messing up your car's electrical system and weird flickers!!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Well my old HID kit was a lot more simple to install- I didnt realize the S Type was such a pain till I took the bulbs out. I'll likely have it redone if/when I get my actual headlights this summer. Why are Jaguars such a pain compared to my old car?!?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Oh yeah, plus I heard it was illegal in my state, so I can't go to a shop and ask them to do it unless I fabricate a story as to why I need work done on them. I .E. I'm going to go in and have them "installl my headlights" and conveniently work in the HID kit and take care of the leveling problems all at once.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 03 S Type
Oh yeah, plus I heard it was illegal in my state, so I can't go to a shop and ask them to do it unless I fabricate a story as to why I need work done on them. I .E. I'm going to go in and have them "installl my headlights" and conveniently work in the HID kit and take care of the leveling problems all at once.
Interesting...... The place where I get my MODs done is begging for business. They will install anything legal or illegal. I was thinking to get HIDs , and the owner asks me you want 10,000K or 12,000K? I was like are those K colors even legal? He told me only if the cops catch you!! Hahaha. 6,000K and 8,000K respectively are bright enough for me.

Anyways, HIDs look cool, but with my 2001, I have NON-projector headlight housing. Meaning, once installed properly, the HID beam will be shooting out an uneven pattern. They mostly look tacky to me, as I currently work in Bridgeport, Connecticut and every other, WHO-HA of a ride has them. I would upgrade to projectors first, then install an HID kit. Then the next question is, "Which HID kit to go with?" Most have "Japan/Germany parts" but are made in China, Malaysia, Taiwan or Phillipenes. Next, they come with 1 to 2 year warranties. NOT good enough. A HID bulb replacement can be as much as a new HID kit!!!

These are the only reasons why I have not gotten HIDs yet. To top it off, a Jag being tweaked with electrical wiring is just a nightmare waiting to happen! I am glad my Pioneer AVIC-Z3, Rearview Camera, Headrest Monitors, and NEWLY INSTALLED 194 LEDS for the License Plate have not given me trouble yet!!

My worst fear is to have an electrical problem! Good luck to you 03 S TYPE. BTW where you headed for spring break? Mine starts March 20, as I have no class Fridays. No plan to go anywhere, maybe the usual trips here and there to New York for shopping and a 50 Cent concert coming up. Other than that, maybe just playing Xbox 360 all day everyday!!

Once again good luck, and take pictures of your end product. Maybe you can persuade me into buying HIDs!!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Welll I hadn't planned on getting a set of HID's but they kinda stumbled upon me. I got my HID kit with a LIFETIME warranty (German Engineered, manufactured in China) from a company called DDM tuning. They were recommended from the ClubLexus forums, but if I had the choice again I wouldn't put them on a Jag, even though it was extremely cheap to get them (just over the price of Silverstar High Performance, which costs $60). You're right as far as far as the whole not wanting to upgrade the headlights the way I did it. I would have preferred to upgrade the headlights first but seeing as how they're a few hundred dollars per headlight.

How'd the 194 LED go for you? I was thinking of doing that also but I want to do the headlights and the system first (the system is in, just have to reconnect it). After that and the tire alignment this Thursday I'll be relaxing on any mods for a bit. After I get her set up this week I'll be giving her some TLC in the form of a wash and wax (after it stops raining) and a thorough detailing of the interior.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 AM

My LED license plate bulbs came out real well. Check them under the thread "LED License plates?" I posted them Thursday night. just search for it here in the s-type section. I am too lazy to send you the hyperlink!

Anyways I plan on detailing and waxing my car over spring break as well. My rims are filthy! But it rains here every couple days!

Have I seen the pics of your car? I see from your signature, that you have the Kenwood DNX7120. I want to see how that looks. I was going to get it, but it was not in stock at the time so I got the AVIC-Z3 instead.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Yeah I think I may get around to doing that once I get the passenger side of the kit installed. It's been raining nonstop so I don't want to open up the hood to work on it especially since I didn't do the **** clean swap style of drilling through the weather housing and sealing the back end of the HID kit. Though technically nothing is exposed to the rain, there- I'd like to avoid the possibility of splashing anything near the connection wires where I haven't done the passenger side yet.

I know the feeling, there was one good day 75-80 degrees, and everything else has been below 45 and raining like hell. I actually did wash it on the nice day but it turned out to be a waste! Good thing I didn't wax and detail yet.

I don't have many photos up, but I plan to do more once I get the second HID put into the passenger side of the whole car (after a little interior cleaning) so that everyone can get a feel for my car. I love my DNX7120 though I do need to update it eventually for the maps (you can download them to a jump drive online and program to it). I have a house that's WAAAAAAAAAAY out in the country in South Carolina, and if it weren't for the fact that I programmed the house location, that area doesn't show up on the GPS unless it's actively giving you directions in that area.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Oh and as far as electrical issues go I guess you can say yes and no. I noticed when I turned the volume up now that the system is back in, every now and then it the little red light flashed. I thought maybe I was imagining it at first but I definitely think I saw it flash twice as if it were going to show some sort of warning, but nothing came out of it. I think it just may be glitching out because I have to install the passenger side headlight though.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM

if you can, try and take pictures as you put in your HIDs. I realize your are half way done with your install. I want to see, if it is something I can easily do.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Well its raining right now (has been the past few days) but since technically I'm only halfway through the swap there's still space for me to take a few pics. The swap in itself is cake- BUT the hard part is actually getting your fingers in position to slide the bulbs in and clip them. If you're a patient hearted individual with the hands of a young Japanese woman- the swap will be like drinking a cup of tea. But if you're like me and you've got hands the size of a bear, then be prepared to spend some time under the hood. To give you an example it took me about 15 minutes to do my HID kit install on my 92 Lexus Coupe. I probably spent 30 to an hour and only got the driver's side installed (mostly because one of my bear claws slid the pin off on the passengers side and I kept smashing my knuckles trying to put it back in. It doesn't look like the weather plans to let up any time soon, so more than likely I'm going to let the dealership fix it and then I'll just put in the HID on passenger side after. Just make sure whoever you look into is a reputable brand HID. They say you get what you pay for and its true to an extent. I got probably one of the cheapest kits I know of (only because it came with a lifetime warranty) but I hear they're not too versatile as far as different colors. I asked for 4500K, but I'm still breaking in the bulbs.