S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high flow i/c pump upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default high flow i/c pump upgrade

hey guys im a new owner of a 03 str and i was curious able if an after market i/c pump have its pros and cons on the str?? and do any company make a i/c or heat exchanger for the str??

Shawn

Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Pretty sure there's nothing available...May be able to somehow plumb in an universal one, you'd probably be the only one...

For cooling alternatives there's a $500 universal killer chiller (google it) and ice cold nitrous...

Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I think someone said this might move a bit more volume over stock

Bosch 0392022002 - Bosch Intercooler Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The following users liked this post:
Bacardi 151 (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM

i've seen the i/c pump on eurotoys but i find it under the xkr but in the description it said that it's also can b use on the str but the i/c itself it was only for the xkr. just wondering if upgrading the pump alone is good... up here in jersey i cold now but for the summer time i know heat soak can b a B#t$h... lol btw this is my 1st F/I car..

Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 PM

anyone???

Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't think anyone has ever presented any credible evidence that a pump with more flow improves things?

So log the temperature drops starting this spring and through next fall to see how the system performs during the various weather conditions. Then pull the current pump out and measure the flow. Find one with higher flow to install and then log the effects the following year.

Of course the factory might have already done this for the stock 400HP and picked a suitable pump. I sure hope so.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

The Bosch pump mentioned is the best alternative (and 200$ cheaper than eurotoys one which is probably the same unit…), and should provide about 14% more flow. Too fast or to slow of a flow isn't good, it should be designed right for the purpose/system. The coolant needs to be cooled by airflow, so best focus is on more airflow thru the radiators, or a larger surface radiator, but I am not sure what fits the Stype.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

+1 on what Bob & avos said.

The PCM senses IAT2 - which isn't supported by most OBD tools - and cuts timing/power if it's too hot so you're trying to do something that looks sensible.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:20 AM

how would go about looking for a aftermarket pump? dose the stock i/c pump has its limits? how do they perform in the hot weather??

Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

From what avos said, you don't want much higher flow so this isn't going to be a big win. I guess redoing the whole I/C circuit might help. Be sure to watch IAT2 to prove it so you know when you overdo it. Otherwise you're fooling yourself.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zetecstr101
how would go about looking for a aftermarket pump? dose the stock i/c pump has its limits? how do they perform in the hot weather??
You're gettin' in the weeds kinda early here.

Get to know the car for a while.

Then re-read the postings in this thread.

One thing to keep in mind is that plumbing for the cooling system and intercooling system on this car is both torturous and very crowded.

What does that mean?

Well, getting to stuff isn't all that simple and there's a lot of plastic involved.

Why do I mention that?

1. The intercooling system and engine cooling system are interconnected. Now before you go and get your panties all in a bunch over this the connection is only at the highest points in the reservoirs for the two systems so that there's only one fluid system and pressure expansion tank to deal with. Typically the fluids don't exchange on a thermal loading basis so your engine's coolant isn't going to be pre-heating the intercoolers.

2. It's easy to break one of the plastic components in the cooling system because IMHO Jag used crap plastic there. Go search on coolant/overflow tank failures. The nipples on these are easily cracked whenever any work is done in the engine compartment.

So if you start screwing around and removing hose clamps without the special tool (which means you're a masochist) and man handling the complex routing of the hoses then you're very likely to crack one of the custom POS plastic pieces.

Then to make yourself feel even better search on the under the supercharger coolant hose leak. Have a couple of scotches first.

SO PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Just enjoy the car for a while. Then if you feel compelled to "tune"/ futz go read some of the threads about some of what people have had to do. I've only had mine 1.5 years and there's been a ton of activity on all of these subjects in that time.

best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Bacardi 151 (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof

Then re-read the postings in this thread.

One thing to keep in mind is that plumbing for the cooling system and intercooling system on this car is both torturous and very crowded.

What does that mean?

Well, getting to stuff isn't all that simple and there's a lot of plastic involved.

Why do I mention that?

1. The intercooling system and engine cooling system are interconnected. Now before you go and get your panties all in a bunch over this the connection is only at the highest points in the reservoirs for the two systems so that there's only one fluid system and pressure expansion tank to deal with. Typically the fluids don't exchange on a thermal loading basis so your engine's coolant isn't going to be pre-heating the intercoolers.

2. It's easy to break one of the plastic components in the cooling system because IMHO Jag used crap plastic there. Go search on coolant/overflow tank failures. The nipples on these are easily cracked whenever any work is done in the engine compartment.

So if you start screwing around and removing hose clamps without the special tool (which means you're a masochist) and man handling the complex routing of the hoses then you're very likely to crack one of the custom POS plastic pieces.

Then to make yourself feel even better search on the under the supercharger coolant hose leak. Have a couple of scotches first.

SO PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Just enjoy the car for a while. Then if you feel compelled to "tune"/ futz go read some of the threads about some of what people have had to do. I've only had mine 1.5 years and there's been a ton of activity on all of these subjects in that time.

best of luck.
I'm reading between the lines here, but I think I know what you're saying loud and clear...OP should go for nitrous for satisfying their cooling needs...

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 01-07-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

I so want to, I just worry about the transmission even with a window switch

Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I so want to, I just worry about the transmission even with a window switch
At the price of the twin screw whenever it comes out, you could buy nitrous and 3 trannys...Still wondering how the tranny will handle the 200hp increase of the twin screw...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Ya but then I have to put it in....

Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
I'm reading between the lines here, but I think I know what you're saying loud and clear...OP should go for nitrous for satisfying their cooling needs...
Actually, way less. Leave the hood shut until sumthin' busts ...

Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof

best of luck.
thats what im goin to do ?'s is ?'s this is my 1st f/i powered car and ?'s that i never asked. had my last car for 5 year only mods i done was only a tune and intake thats its. this cars is way faster the my last on and much more comfortable..

Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 PM

and btw nice advice guys..

shawn

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zetecstr101
and btw nice advice guys..

shawn
You're very welcome, glad I could exceed your expectations, Shawn!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:38 PM

quick ? how would you know if somethings wrong with the i/c pump?? just curious.

Quick Reply: high flow i/c pump upgrade