S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit up the track last night.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hit up the track last night.

Last night was the last test and tune of the season so I stopped in from some runs.

It's always fun to see the crazy dragsters running nitro start right next to you. My dad used to talk about loving the smell of the cars running nitromethane, I for sure like it too.

Now my hope was to put together some good runs with the lower tems and some better traction at the track. Sad but I think my traction was worse at the track than on the street. My first run I got ancy and spun the tires into second gear. All passes were on crappy 91 pump we get up here as I wanted a baseline before I go crazy with mods. Full street weight minus I took out the spare as I can't remember where I put the tie down for it. Only mod is a k&n in the stock air box.

Now keep in mind we live at 4400 feet above sea level, and with correction factor are some times the slowest track in he nation. NA cars loose a full second up here. The correction factor for FI cars is about 1/2 a second. I have seen first gen vipers only run mid 13's up here.

My first run was a terrible 14.7 @ 102, but I ran down a ls1 camaro with modds on this pass. This was a hot off the street pass with no cool down. My sixty foot times were garbage. With no traction. I tried no burn out, with burn out, ect. My best 60' times of the night were with a small burn out and no launch at all just hitting the pedal when the light turned green.

My best run of the night netted a 2.2 60' time, with a 14.01 @ 99. I used a couple of bags of ice on top of the intercoolers in the pits with the ign in the "on" position but not running, with ac switched on. This keeps the fan running and seemed to help a ton. This is also how I waited in the stage lines as the wait to run sucks and can really heat soak the car.

I am 100% sure with a little more tire this car has a 13 in it stock. I was working on a getting the car super cooled off, tems were falling quick. The runs were suposed to go untill 10 pm but we got kicked out at 8. I believe there was a 13.9 in this car just how it sat but I couldn't pull it together.

I had a blast at the track. There was a guy there in a modded Audi s4 that I kept trying to get to see what he was running but I was always off on my timing.

I also had a 60's muscle car get me out of the hole with slicks on but I ran him down on the top end. His mph was 10 below mine so I know the car is making ok power, I just can't put it down.

Time to for sure order an LSD and some better tires.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Spinnal! U the man! U need a K&N a/f, modded air intake tube, 1.5 to 3.0 lb pulley, hi-flow cats and x-pipe to pull high 12's in the STR. We're working on concepts on: LSD, ECU tune, blower, exhaust, etc. IMO, do the K&N a/f, modded air intake tube, 1.5 lb pulley, hi-flow cats and x-pipe. We're sensing a strong smell of a blower retro-fit, etc. that'll allow the s/c 4.2 to put down 400+ rwhp. Stay tuned.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Spinnal! U the man! U need a K&N a/f, modded air intake tube, 1.5 to 3.0 lb pulley, hi-flow cats and x-pipe to pull high 12's in the STR. We're working on concepts on: LSD, ECU tune, blower, exhaust, etc. IMO, do the K&N a/f, modded air intake tube, 1.5 lb pulley, hi-flow cats and x-pipe. We're sensing a strong smell of a blower retro-fit, etc. that'll allow the s/c 4.2 to put down 400+ rwhp. Stay tuned.
What would you do if I said I have a euro toys upper pully, a whole spare motor from exhaust manifolds to supercharger all just sitting at the house waiting for me to get around to working on the parts.

The plan is I am cleaning everything, ceramic coating the intercoolers so they don't heat soak, porting everything including supercharger, sc inlet, sc outlet, i/c outlets, porting and ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds. I have not decided if I'm going twin screw yet or not.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinall4
What would you do if I said I have a euro toys upper pully, a whole spare motor from exhaust manifolds to supercharger all just sitting at the house waiting for me to get around to working on the parts.

The plan is I am cleaning everything, ceramic coating the intercoolers so they don't heat soak, porting everything including supercharger, sc inlet, sc outlet, i/c outlets, porting and ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds. I have not decided if I'm going twin screw yet or not.
If you have the means to go twin screw, just do that and don't even bother with any of the other things; and let us all know how you do it. That will get you far more power than all the bolt-ons in the world for this car.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
If you have the means to go twin screw, just do that and don't even bother with any of the other things; and let us all know how you do it. That will get you far more power than all the bolt-ons in the world for this car.
I would love to just slap a twin screw on her. But there are a couple of things holding me back.

1. All the stuff I mentioned I have already paid for. The is no cost to me to do any of this work besides basic supplies like tape ect. I have my own huge sand blaster, 3x3x6 oven, powder coating gun, spray gun ect. The only thing I'm out is time. Some times I just prefer to spend some time in the shop working.

2. As Avos was saying, the way the intake and other such stuff is set up I don't know if some of these parts is a limiting factor in making hp.

At this point I may do all the things I mentioned and go twin screw since its a whole bunch of work to change all that stuff twice.